PDA

View Full Version : Ivory types

osteodoc08
07-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Recent 1911 candy thread yielded some nice photos of ivory gripped 1911s. I’ve always wanted nice Ivories for my target 1911. It’s a traditional 5” with blues finish. I’ve seen vintage elephant ivory and walrus ivory and the mammoth ivory. I guess for those in the know, what is the difference in texture? Color? Grain? Feel? Any one better than others? Best place to try to buy a set of grips?

What about the alternatives like bone, antler, etc?

I want a warm, comfortable grip that is attractive in a classic sense.

Love Life
07-29-2018, 11:07 AM
I prefer elephant over all the others. Walrus come 2nd, and mammoth last. Elephant ivory, even polished to a high polish, remains very grippy even with wet/sweaty hands. With you being in Georgia, I’d call Mr. Beal from Gunner Products to set you up for your ivory needs.

ETA: No wood or antler has the warm feel of Elephant ivory.

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Elephant ivory is usually snow white. I like mammoth ivory for two reasons. Its much cheaper and it has color and character. Ive got a couple knives with giraffe bone grips and its got some nice character too.

Tatume
07-30-2018, 07:26 AM
Recently I purchased a set of Sambar stag grips from Exotic Grips, and am very pleased.

https://exoticpistolgrips.com/

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2018, 07:37 AM
that's my favorite. I know many wont agree but id take sambar stag with some character over any ivory. Especially when you factor in price (although both are far from cheap)
Recently I purchased a set of Sambar stag grips from Exotic Grips, and am very pleased.

https://exoticpistolgrips.com/

RKJ
07-30-2018, 08:49 AM
I got a set of Officer model grips made from Buffalo bone from a vender on eBay and really like them. Nice milky white, smooth but with good gripping surface (if that makes sense). They were very reasonably priced and look great on that little Colt. They're not Ivory, but they look good and I don't have the $$$ for Ivory. (I didn't add much to the conversation but I did get my post count up). :)

waksupi
07-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Elephant ivory is usually snow white. I like mammoth ivory for two reasons. Its much cheaper and it has color and character. Ive got a couple knives with giraffe bone grips and its got some nice character too.

Elephant does gain a nice yellow patina with time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-30-2018, 10:29 AM
I got a set of Officer model grips made from Buffalo bone from a vender on eBay and really like them. Nice milky white, smooth but with good gripping surface (if that makes sense). They were very reasonably priced and look great on that little Colt. They're not Ivory, but they look good and I don't have the $$$ for Ivory. (I didn't add much to the conversation but I did get my post count up). :)

I've seen those, they seem like quite the deal, moneywise.

LUCKYDAWG13
07-30-2018, 10:55 AM
I would love a set of Ivory Grips but will be content with my Elk Grips from http://grashornsgunworks.com/ butt find myself looking at https://www.boonetrading.com/collections/pistol-grips a lot

Kraschenbirn
07-30-2018, 10:57 AM
If you choose to go with genuine (elephant) ivory, be certain you get a valid letter of provenance to prove that the material was harvested before 1976 and imported before 1990. Without documentation, in the U.S. it's been illegal to 'traffic' *(buy, sell, or trade across state lines) in elephant ivory since June, 2016. There are some very narrow exceptions for antiquities such as old guns, musical instruments, etc. but sale of new ivory - either raw or as finished goods - is banned.

Bill

RKJ
07-30-2018, 11:11 AM
I've seen those, they seem like quite the deal, moneywise.

I've not had them on very long but I really like the feel and the look against the blued 1911. I'm very satisfied and feel I got a very good product for the price.

Love Life
07-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Sale of new ivory is not banned.

Kraschenbirn
07-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Sale of new ivory is not banned.

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service doesn't agree.

https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

webfoot10
07-30-2018, 01:00 PM
If you like the ivory look, but like me can't afford the real thing, you can always go the poor man's route.
I found that the mountain laurel that grows here, when dry is white and will polish up and look like ivory.
It will also age like ivory. I use it on knife handles and have had the DEM cops want to see the paperwork
for the ivory. They couldn't tell it was wood, till they seen the uncut pieces I had. I've also used polished
bone. But real ivory is the best if you can afford it.

Love Life
07-30-2018, 01:02 PM
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service doesn't agree.

https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

Read what you posted. The sale of elephant ivory is not banned. There are limits to interstate sale, but intrastate is gtg. De Minimus is why you can still sell guns across state lines with ivory grips. Gotta look in state to buy just grips.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Many years ago I owned a Rogers & Spencer pistol with walrus ivory grips. I thought it was superior to elephant ivory. Even though they were very old they had not developed the cracks that elephant ivory often does. I will try to post a picture but with this new computer and Windows 10, don't hold your breath.
Well, I don't know what happened but not what I expected.

Char-Gar
07-30-2018, 02:51 PM
I bought this set of 1911 ivorys from Nutmeg Sports LLC, about ten years ago. They are not for sale. Nutmeg is still in business and they has a variety of grip materials. Since that time elephant ivory grips suppliers have dried up. Another good alternative is to look at Scott Kolar's buffalo bone (American bison) grips. They are no too spendy at $85.00 per pair. If they are not listed on his web site, contact him as I know he has some.

https://www.skgrips.com/

am44mag
07-30-2018, 03:14 PM
While not technically ivory, I prefer giraffe bone. It's much cheaper, easier to get, and has the general look but can also have a lot of variation in the color in some pieces. I make quite a few sets too. Just ordered two more big ol bones to cut up for grips. :D

LUCKYDAWG13
07-30-2018, 03:22 PM
While not technically ivory, I prefer giraffe bone. It's much cheaper, easier to get, and has the general look but can also have a lot of variation in the color in some pieces. I make quite a few sets too. Just ordered two more big ol bones to cut up for grips. :D

I would love to see some of your work

am44mag
07-30-2018, 10:15 PM
I would love to see some of your work

Absolutely. Here's an old pic that I managed to dig up. I have a ton more, but I can't get them to load right now. Our internet is not that great.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r6VA3ufMhO1TtG0Ijdj8kBZPa6l2qkwDLIboyFJxkLLo917NeJ RFWB1uW5nXP3_L75nguvxf7uCUWHqr51FnOcVx4iUTFwTAOT5u 6ivVwckfPUghD7H1EFlRFd3j0DIzeYd_VXO-6Ew44gtmbT5nRWeqrXknc0PcyZyHA8CeTj2izlNnX7A9T2Fe1O fbVxj1imnMurkSxjWo-HYPi27jYv_BdyookHyoou2TGvMLIbnI7kf71kchLBaAce6nkCw wPaq_8acGMbM8TPamXdlg_DqS6bo83bfKJ5ZB36Im4h8D4UoaP i-sgGnz8VYdSyD9Ka2slIzMMnKJ7pNu4TX_v0vKLZjmvv8AORQXm CwaRXrYkiqjlO5j9WVcudJ7Ejuu9Oj5et07hTlv2Tlx4O7I4z7-tPjPVwP2GifNrvl1s5YgdNfqGZCVIZhQGTJRTAXJQsyNFaVJ4T C8m1JgGTDHb3mAQ4GCXnM5Uc1HYJstyLz0Gb0ACaXn9WvvLG-96ltt606urB6YqfQ8jNDRSZWujxhup4X0AdTiPoO_-8HWkBpbZYPwtxnttk7T6AWcARiX6lexBwQjstZLKtQD_m27k54 FpV-iXldq9uk--dE=w1677-h943-no

birch
07-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Those are some sweet grips! If you decide on a commercial venture, I would be up for buying a pair or two.

osteodoc08
07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Looks like I’ll check out nutmeg and some bone grips as well

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2018, 08:15 AM
yes it does but it takes a good amount of time especially if its in the same and not exposed to sun.
Elephant does gain a nice yellow patina with time.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2018, 08:19 AM
scott makes some real nice grips. He had some mastodon bone that was real nice too back some time ago. Real ivory is just way out of my price range. Nice stuff but your paying more for rare then you are for any practical benefit.
I bought this set of 1911 ivorys from Nutmeg Sports LLC, about ten years ago. They are not for sale. Nutmeg is still in business and they has a variety of grip materials. Since that time elephant ivory grips suppliers have dried up. Another good alternative is to look at Scott Kolar's buffalo bone (American bison) grips. They are no too spendy at $85.00 per pair. If they are not listed on his web site, contact him as I know he has some.

https://www.skgrips.com/

Walkingwolf
07-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Before spending thousands of dollars on Ivory, and dealing with gooberment hassles, look into river birch, and American holly. Both woods are stunning, and often mistaken for aged ivory, birch is very grippy, to the point of being impossible to polish with steal wool, must use ultra fine sand paper to get is smooth. I had a walking stick, until stolen from my car, out of river birch, it had a very rich yellow tone, and gripped well even if wet.

I have seen holly salad utensils that I swore were bone, this is not my gun, but it will give an idea of just how good the appearance of the wood.

http://mikestexashunt-fish.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC_00021.jpg

Lloyd Smale
08-01-2018, 06:38 AM
yup if I wasn't told it would be hard to argue those weren't ivory.
Before spending thousands of dollars on Ivory, and dealing with gooberment hassles, look into river birch, and American holly. Both woods are stunning, and often mistaken for aged ivory, birch is very grippy, to the point of being impossible to polish with steal wool, must use ultra fine sand paper to get is smooth. I had a walking stick, until stolen from my car, out of river birch, it had a very rich yellow tone, and gripped well even if wet.

I have seen holly salad utensils that I swore were bone, this is not my gun, but it will give an idea of just how good the appearance of the wood.

http://mikestexashunt-fish.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DSC_00021.jpg

gwpercle
08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
If you choose to go with genuine (elephant) ivory, be certain you get a valid letter of provenance to prove that the material was harvested before 1976 and imported before 1990. Without documentation, in the U.S. it's been illegal to 'traffic' *(buy, sell, or trade across state lines) in elephant ivory since June, 2016. There are some very narrow exceptions for antiquities such as old guns, musical instruments, etc. but sale of new ivory - either raw or as finished goods - is banned.

Bill

So what do I do with the Indian Elephant Ivory grips I had made in 1968 , I do not have any letter or even a sales receipt . In 1968 I sent the company a check for $60.00 and several weeks later they arrived in the mail. The company is no longer in existance...are the police going to arrest me for having "undocumented " ivory ?
Gary
Ruger Blackhawk w/ Ivory

osteodoc08
08-01-2018, 06:45 PM
So what do I do with the Indian Elephant Ivory grips I had made in 1968 , I do not have any letter or even a sales receipt . In 1968 I sent the company a check for $60.00 and several weeks later they arrived in the mail. The company is no longer in existance...are the police going to arrest me for having "undocumented " ivory ?
Gary
Ruger Blackhawk w/ Ivory

I think it’s a sales issue. You can have so long as it isn’t sold. It’s when it’s sold that it has to be documented (if selling the ivory outright by itself)

Love Life
08-01-2018, 07:04 PM
It should meet the De Minimus rule.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-01-2018, 07:28 PM
I have a set of Holly wood grips on my 41 RBH i like them 224813

osteodoc08
08-01-2018, 08:15 PM
I have a set of Holly wood grips on my 41 RBH i like them 224813

How durable are they. How do they feel.

fiberoptik
08-01-2018, 08:47 PM
I bought a nice old Chinese(?) bookmark made of what I think is ivory and silk thread some years back. Keep it in my Bible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
08-01-2018, 08:59 PM
They feel real good as far as durable so far so good I dont baby them at all has been on a few hunting trips so if they do get a scratch or a ding from use oh well its a hunting pistol