PDA

View Full Version : Steel target problem

tinsnips
07-28-2018, 08:48 PM
I have been using regular steel bolts to hold the chain on my steel targets. Okay the problem I am having is if I hit the bolt head it blows the head right off the bolt . Now the target is hanging by one chain. Would a grade 8 bolt fix this or do they make something better? Three times today while my friend an I were shooting.

tigweldit
07-28-2018, 09:10 PM
I welded a couple of hooks on the back of my steel that my chains attach to. Position the hooks so that the steel is slightly angled downward. Steel last longer and bullets won't bounce straight back.

wildwilly501
07-28-2018, 09:19 PM
Are you using carriage bolts?The grade 8 will help use lock nuts or double nut don't overtighten I had the same problem I don't know if the grade 8 fixed it or not tightening the nuts crazy tight did it.If you want your targets to hang at a angle use a longer bolt put a nut on then the chain.Using washers as spacers you can get the target to hang at the angle you want.

clintsfolly
07-29-2018, 08:26 AM
I maintain the club plate rail and was replacing bolts all the time. 2 years ago I replaced all the bolts with grade 8,s and have had to replace just 3 bolts. Yes try grade 8,s

15meter
07-29-2018, 10:13 AM
The rummies I shoot with aim for the bolt heads. I went to hanging the dingers with recycled web straps with bolts threading into the back or top so they couldn't see the heads. They last a lot longer with the web straps. You can pick them up along the expressway where truckers broke/lost them.

bob208
07-29-2018, 09:23 PM
try acorn bolts or nuts. they do not have squire head for the bullet to bite into.

rockrat
07-29-2018, 10:08 PM
Use grade 8 or aircraft bolts (cost alot more though)

rr2241tx
07-31-2018, 03:49 PM
Conveyor belt pieces bolted to the back of the plate with grade 8 bolts work really nicely. Pieces can usually be gotten free.

Smoke4320
07-31-2018, 04:03 PM
I welded hex nuts to the back of the steel targets .. Ran the chains thru the hex nuts .. So now only the chains can be harmed ..
Been on targets probably going on 6-8 years now

allsy
07-31-2018, 04:10 PM
A local farmer who lets me shoot on his range ran a carriage bolt in from the back of his wood frame and uses metal "S" hooks to hold up the chains. He cut out a little slot in the bottom of the wood for the hooks to run up into the the wood frame and hook over the carriage bolt. On the target he either welds tabs on the back for hooks or only buys steel with tabs for hooks. They look like a famous mouse head and the hooks go through the ears.

twidpa
07-31-2018, 11:07 PM
grade 8, good stuff.
T