PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Gun Collectors today...

Dale53
09-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I attended the Ohio Gun Collectors Show today. Lots of people but I didn't see much money changing hands (some, of course). I saw quite a few interesting pieces that were buyable. However, I didn't see anything that I just HAD to have, so passed.

There was a new S&W 638 for $379.95 - that is a VERY good price but I have a 642 and a SS Bodyguard so I passed on that. I also saw a Model 27 or two and a couple of Model 28's that were priced decently. Also saw quite a few items that were VERY pricy (including the neat little English Double rifle in .22 Hornet for $37,000+ ). Of course, if they had a pair, then I would have bought both (right-t-t-t!![smilie=1:), but since they had only one, I passed:roll:.

I did pick up a book and a very nice IWB holster. All in all, a worthy morning.

Dale53

leadeye
09-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I went to that show back in the 80s and it was a great show then. Haven't been in a long time and I should go back as I am a life member. Stopped going when it went to Cleveland as it was a longer drive.

Ohio Rusty
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM
The Wife and I and the Stepson went on Saturday. Lots to see, and much of what I saw was overpriced (lots of sticker shock). Guys weren't bartering much as they were complaining of the cost of gas and travel cutting into the money they make. The stepson was looking for a rifle and we did find a really nice Russian M44 carbine made in 1945. It think it may have been one of the nicer surplus guns in the show and it looked like it was never issued. We talked the owner down $15 and got the rifle for $120. That was half the price of all the rest of them we saw. We then spent and hour or two looking for the best deals on 7.62x54R ammo for that rifle.
For me, I snatched up the only box of .380 remington 102 gr. golden sabers in the show, and bought a turkey slate call striker for a dollar.

I mostly took the other half and her son to give them an education on antique and modern firearms as they have never seen such a vast array of firearms from the 16th century to the 21st century. It was a good way to spend a saturday eventhough I didn't come home with much ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

Dale53
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I have been a life member of the OGCA for many years. It is THE most interesting gun show I have ever attended. They are very choosy as to what may be displayed. Very little junk seen, anywhere.

The other gun show in this area (kind of in THIS area) are the Dixon Shows in Lexington, Ky and Louisville, KY. They are also WELL worth the visit. Dixon sometimes holds it in conjunction with the military show - you get two for one if you are interested in military stuff (I am not particularly interested in military stuff - I used the REAL stuff for five years (60 mm and 81 mm mortars, 57mm and 105mm recoiless rifles, and .30 and .50 caliber machine guns along with my trusty M-1). You think that I am good with a .45 ACP you ought to see me with a mortar:bigsmyl2:.

At any rate, while gun shows are still available, I suggest that you attend any and all that you can get to, while the getting is good...
Besides the possibility of something you would really like to have is the education that is there for the asking.

Dale53