PDA

View Full Version : Paper Patch Boolits for Suppressor use.

Hueyville
07-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Have a 210 grain 301 diameter mold for paper patched boolits. I want to use the heavy pills for subsonic loads to use in 308, 300 BO and 7.62x39/54 with an extra turn of "paper". Have heard of people doing just this with some claiming success and others no luck. Have read of using some light paste with onion paper, properly wrapped Teflon tape and even masking tape.

I have access to paper with a very low tack adhesive called transfer tape and is used in the sign industry for transferring vinyl graphics from their wax coated backing paper to final destination. I can get this transfer tape or "premask" which is very similar to paper see on new cars while on car carriers to protect finish during transport in a variety of thicknesses and levels of tack. Some is fairly agressive while some can barely tell it has any adhesive. Have three CNC plotters accurate to 0.002" for cutting vinyl or paper and used them in past to cut very accurate patches that when need more just call up file and send to a plotter for cutting.

Why do I want to shoot paper patch bullets through a suppressor? No particular reason but just something to do and see how it works. Being able to wrap the big 210 grain 0.301" pills to fit bore of 308 or 312 combloc bore would be nifty. Would also twist the brains of the tacticool crowd at local range. While their expounding on their latest super expensive specialty subsonic ammo I can send a few mags of super heavy cast boolits (use gas check boolits currently) and wait for someone to notice the paper just to see look on faces when explain what it is. Have fast twist subsonic barrels for 6.8 spc II also which could use a 0.257 or 0.264 boolit to wrap.

Afraid if use a tacky paper the leading edge of paper will cause erratic accuracy and if use traditional paper wraps paper may clog up suppressor. What would be perfect is a paper patch boolit that covers the range with confetti about five to ten feet in front of muzzle so a binary magazine dump will be quiet, accurate, hard hitting and spew paper shreds all over the range just in front of range benches. If have to wrap with Teflon or light adhesive so paper stays with boolits that is fine but I like being able to leverage whatever I have and make it shoot. During Sandy Hook shortage I never ran low on any ammo as keep a decades stock of loaded ammo and loading components but took a lot of paper patch and gas check cast boolits to range just so guys who were on a limit could see that ability to source loaded ammo or factory made jacketed projectiles was not necessary.

I shot a ton of swaged boolits and would spend more time picking up rimfire cases than shooting some days. People would always ask why, if they were worth enough as scrap to warrant the effort and would show them a can with 2,000 or so rounds of 5.56 loaded with swaged boolits that used rimfire jackets to mash up my jacketed 5.56 rounds. Was amazing to see looks on faces when realized had ammo made from rimfire cases, jacketed hollow point pistol ammo swaged from brass cases that had reached end of lifespan, paper wrapped rifle and both cast lead pistol and rifle ammo. Goal was to encourage others not to owe their shooting soul to the companies that stocked the shelves of Walmart with ammo or worry about hoarders beating them to the ammo as was stocked.

Have paper patched ammo could try right now if wanted but before I bust a $600 suppressor before first magazine is run through it figured I would ask the experts about my idea. It will actually be a lot more work than dropping boolits from mold and mashing on gas checks as run through bullet lubrisizer but I want to do something new if it's safe. Figure this is the best place to ask and if someone needs precise paper patches cut maybe I can do it for you on one of my plotters and save some work plus be very exact. I want to make this work, work well and not just something that kind of works. Imagine suppressors and muzzle brakes have similar issues with paper patched boolits and have clogged ports of a couple of my more complex muzzle brakes with paper in the past.

303Guy
07-27-2018, 05:01 PM
I have fired subsonic paper patched boolits through a suppressor and the paper didn't come off at all! But then the bore was worn and rifling edges rounded. I have recovered patches from subsonic boolits that came off as one piece. If that happened inside the suppressor the next shot could defect enough to hit a baffle, depending on how long the suppressor is. Mine are short and don't have complex designs like some do and don't clog up. I would think a Maxim style suppressor would clog up.

Tom_in_AZ
07-31-2018, 08:09 PM
I don’t think I would try it with one of my cans. Too expensive to mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
08-02-2018, 06:18 AM
I’ve paper patched and tried subsonic with a suppressor, but never the two together. I always heard that suppressors and paper patching don’t mix.

I understand your idea about an adhesive to keep the paper on. Normally, paper should separate when the boolit leaves the muzzle. If the paper stayed with the boolit and was the least bit damaged I think it could destabilize it, either by being off balance or wind resistance. But who knows, you may onto something new.

Geezer in NH
08-02-2018, 07:40 PM
I would pass on it through a suppressor. $600 bucks suppressor, $200 dollar tax, up to 1 year wait for form and stamp from BATFE.

Few month wait for repair at the manufacturer, note has to be by them not you.

Buy or make bullets that will not damage the can. Being cheap for shooting big money accessory does not make sense.