PDA

View Full Version : Lever Gun questions

Mr_Sheesh
07-27-2018, 02:10 AM
Not ever even fired one; Considering eventually getting 2 or 3 maybe? I'm curious if there is a single make/model of lever guns that would be sold in several calibers; Not sure on calibers yet but considering getting maybe a 30-30 and a 45-70? Those two should take care of most everything larger than small game, and handle small game with reduced loads or shot shells. I am just thinking it'd be nice if both had the same controls and behavior, so I don't have to hunt for controls if I swap from one to the other. Just a "Hmmm I wonder" right now.

HawkCreek
07-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Other than safeties on Marlins and Winchesters there really isn't a whole lot of different controls on a lever gun. Generally (excluding the new Henrys) most will have a loading gate on the right side and either a half cock notch or a rebounding hammer.
The Marlin 336 (.30-30) and 1895 (.45-70) are the same action with slight internal differences.
The Winchester 94 (.30-30 but now is also chambered in .450 Marlin also) is a different action than the Winchester 86 (.45-70) but they will have the same "controls" though the lever throw will feel different. I suppose the biggest differences would be if one were new production (tang safety, rebound hammer) and one were old (no safety, half cock notch on hammer).

ETA: Just saw your location. Whereabouts? If we're close I have a pile of lever guns you're welcome to try out.

Mr_Sheesh
07-27-2018, 03:40 AM
I'm around Bell-Red, get around some tho. That could be fun :)

MrWolf
07-27-2018, 10:57 AM
That is a great offer and a way to try various ones to see what fits best. I like Marlins myself as brass ejects to the side not up. Good luck.

jmort
07-27-2018, 11:10 AM
When I have my lever action rifles tuned, I have the gunsmith remove the safety.
The Winchesters are better guns by far compared to the current production Marlins. I got four pre-remington "JM" Marlins and a couple Rossi M92s. You will pay a premium for the pre-Remington Marlins. Also have 30-30s from Winchester, Marlin, and Mossberg. The Winchesters start looking a whole lot better compared to the used pre-Remington Marlins as they are spendy.

Texas by God
07-27-2018, 11:43 AM
A Marlin or Glenfield 30-30 then if you want to go big 1895 Marlin. More accurate and smoother than the 94 Win IMO experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Shawlerbrook
07-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Look for pre-Remington Marlins.

stubshaft
07-27-2018, 01:06 PM
In 30/30 I'd go with the Winchester. For the 45/70, pre Remington Marlin 1895 with either the micro-groove or Ballard rifling. They both shoot very accurately but truth be told in my lapped 45/70 the micro-groove has a very slight edge over the Ballard. It is the most accurate lever gun I own with a witnessed 3/4" group at 100yds.

HawkCreek
07-27-2018, 02:00 PM
I'm around Bell-Red, get around some tho. That could be fun :)

Bellingham/Redmond? I don't get over to that side much at all. I'm close to Grand Coulee but I head down toward Yakima most weekends. Do you ever get over to the dry side?

Walks
07-27-2018, 02:22 PM
The reason MARLIN'S operate smoother than WINCHESTER'S is simple design.
On a MARLIN, the pivot point for the LEVER is attached to the bottom of the frame.
On WINCHESTER'S, 1886, 1892 & 1894 & their derivatives, you have to pull the GUTS of the action DOWN to get the LEVER to pivot.

Why all the Top Cowboy Action Shooter's all use WIN 1873 replicas. Pivot point on bottom of the frame. Just like a MARLIN.

Just LOVE the GOOD LEVER ACTION RIFLE'S.

Mr_Sheesh
07-27-2018, 04:04 PM
HawkCreek, Bellevue-Redmond actually, sorry. And yes, on occasion; Just not frequently lately. I want to go pick on some Coyotes and Rockchucks some day :) Need to load some ammo first though, as aiming an empty rifle and yelling "bang!" hasn't worked too well for me.

HawkCreek
07-27-2018, 04:30 PM
HaHa I do that when I'm driving down the road and see a coyote. Point the finger gun and say "bang", so far I haven't knocked any of them over doing that either. Shoot me a PM if it looks like you're headed this way. I know places we can shoot by Yakima, Banks Lake and Soap Lake (haven't been to that one in years though so not positive on that one).

44Blam
07-28-2018, 12:44 AM
I have two lever guns: A Henry Big Boy in 44 Mag and a Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
The Big Boy is awesome, super handy and really nice fit and finish. Also, the heaviest rounds you can shoot only let you know that it's there, it doesn't really have recoil.
The Marlin... You can shoot cowboy loads with trailboss and it's easy, but a near max load under a 400 grn boolit will rattle out your fillings.

I have a couple loads I like and they are stout. My buddy has a video of him shooting some 500 grain boolits I loaded it's pretty good:
http://www.twonails.com/owncloud/index.php/s/nG8bs5v6GVRj3tC

The good thing about the 45-70 is that anything else that you shoot seems like it doesn't have recoil.