PDA

View Full Version : Best hardness tester for the money

GregLaROCHE
07-27-2018, 01:17 AM
I’m considering buying a hardness tester. What are the best ones to consider, keeping cost in mind? Lee?
Thanks for all advice and opinions.

Nick Quick
07-27-2018, 01:32 AM
My Cabin Tree kicks ***. It is not cheap but it's very easy to use and if you don't use the hammer on it you'll have it forever.

megasupermagnum
07-27-2018, 01:37 AM
I don't have any others to compare for accuracy, although to me my Lee seems to do the job well. Any test I've ever seen showed the Lee to be as accurate as any other hardness tester. It takes a bit of hand-eye coordination to use the microscope, but I have no problems even with my paws for hands. I would definitely recommend it.

dkonrai
07-27-2018, 01:49 AM
I use pencils. Close enough for me. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180727/892bcbdfbab61a944441c8a67304c5a7.jpg

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Grmps
07-27-2018, 01:51 AM
This will help with pencil hardness testing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355056-Easier-pencil-lead-hardness-testing

dkonrai
07-27-2018, 02:04 AM
This will help with pencil hardness testing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355056-Easier-pencil-lead-hardness-testingWish I had seen that post earlier. Great post. That pretty much explains it all.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
07-27-2018, 03:57 AM
My Cabin Tree kicks ***. It is not cheap but it's very easy to use and if you don't use the hammer on it you'll have it forever.

Cabin Tree tester is no longer made by same person but maybe available at http://www.cowboybullets.com/

trapper9260
07-27-2018, 08:17 AM
I got a Lee and it works good for me for what I need.

EMC45
07-27-2018, 08:35 AM
Saeco

photomicftn
07-27-2018, 08:40 AM
I've got the LBT, which has a direct readout. I have my Dad's older Saeco as well. The LBT was pretty expensive, so I guess that doesn't help with the cost part.

lightman
07-27-2018, 08:44 AM
The art pencils will probably be the cheapest and seem to work well. The Cabine Tree is easy to use and you can test ingots or larger chunks of lead with it. I've never used the Lee or the Saeco. Knowing the hardness is nice but it really does not tell you the alloy. It will help you guess at it.

Hossfly
07-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Art pencils work and are cheap, Hobby Lobby, any craft store or art supply store has pencil sets numbered. They work well.

Bent Ramrod
07-27-2018, 09:31 AM
I have an LBT and a SAECO. Both work well for the purpose. The LBT needs flat surfaces, so I mostly use it for ingots. Sawing and filing the points off boolits so I can use it is too much work. The SAECO is the one I use the most, testing culled boolits from a casting session. I check point and base, and they are usually close, unless there is an air bubble in the sprue cutoff. I angle the base a little and retest when this happens.

I don’t see differences in accuracy between individual BHN numbers, just the ranges. If there is an optimum with the same boolit at BHN 8 vs. BHN 9, I can’t see it on the target. The difference between BHN 4-5, BHN 8-11, and BHN 14 and above is significant, in certain cases.

When I shoot black powder cartridge, or if I was to try for accuracy above 2000 ft/sec, a hardness tester is a help. For most of my shooting, using smokeless with Lino/wheelweight alloys or range scrap, hardness testing is too much information.

mdi
07-27-2018, 10:49 AM
I use a Lee tester. I couldn't get the hang of their microscope, so use a magnifying visor. I'll use the "punching" unit and measure the indent with dial calipers. I can get really close to the 'scope measurements, and it's no great loss if I'm one or even two BHN numbers off from a laboratory test. My BHN readings are just for my own use and don't need to be within one BHN of what a foundry would find (and I cast fro mebbe 19 years before I got a tester)...

OS OK
07-27-2018, 11:12 AM
An 'objective' look at BHN testing equipment . . . "Just the facts Mam..."

Testing The Consistency Of The Commonly Available
Cast Bullet BHN Test Equipment

Cast Bullet BHN Tester Experiment . . . http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

So what do these experiment prove? The differences between the various testers, the simplicity of using the tester making consistent readings possible, the users ability to use the tester consistently and interpret the results. This test also has shown how close to the lab tested sample (most of) the various testers really are.

sutherpride59
07-27-2018, 03:04 PM
I also when with a Lee, the results in the LASC test made it pretty apparent that if you are careful how you do it the Lee is the cheapest and most simple and accurate way to measure hardness. I had a Saeco that I inherited and I couldn’t stand it, I could test 3 boolits from the same batch and the BHN would vary and it wasn’t the easiest thing to read. The Lee is simple and gives relative results.

Cast Bullet BHN Tester Experiment . . . http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

So what do these experiment prove? The differences between the various testers, the simplicity of using the tester making consistent readings possible, the users ability to use the tester consistently and interpret the results. This test also has shown how close to the lab tested sample (most of) the various testers really are.[/QUOTE]

Rcmaveric
07-27-2018, 04:53 PM
I started with pencils and got the Lee HBN tester. The pencils were consistent and accurate just like the Lee die. Just follow the directions with the Lee and it will be a repeatable and consistent. The Lee will match the pencils but i still considerate more of a reference and not so much an actual representation. I can accurately mix my alloys and create targeted BHN's for specific purposes with out actually knowing the content of my lead.

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2018, 07:07 AM
I owned a Seaco and a lbt. sold them both when I got my cabin tree. Hands down the best and cheaper then most.

mehavey
07-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Lee Hardness Tester . . . w/ the microscope mounted in a very complex/expensive holder that can be micro-adjusted in relative height for exact focus/alignment, and bullet mount that can be digitally rotated/moved 360 degrees....

Life does not have to be complex:

http://i46.tinypic.com/ixy0za.jpg

(`Another reason God created Styrofoam in cartridge boxes, don'cha know)
:kidding:

See https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5723599&postcount=5 for some use/findings/actual Lee data that might be interesting.

Mal Paso
07-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Gatorade bottle. Drilled the plastic cap. Friction fit or helical focus.

RED BEAR
07-28-2018, 10:56 PM
I like my Lee but have up on microscope long ago. Now just scan bullet and use gimp ( free ) to measure the dent. Very easy to do and is more accurate than me trying to use the microscope well at least for me.

Chad5005
07-28-2018, 11:08 PM
lee its cheap and easy

Rcmaveric
07-28-2018, 11:37 PM
I like my Lee but have up on microscope long ago. Now just scan bullet and use gimp ( free ) to measure the dent. Very easy to do and is more accurate than me trying to use the microscope well at least for me.

That's actually kind of cool idea. Then you can lable the alloy batch number and keep a record.

hermans
07-29-2018, 02:37 AM
I just wanted a tester that is easy to use and that I could use reliably for the rest of my casting years, did the research here and got the Cabine Tree.
Believe it is now made by Cowboy Bullets......worth every penny.

EDG
07-29-2018, 06:06 AM
If you get reliable samples of WW , 20-1 , pure lead and any others you may use you do not need any gadget. You can easily make comparisons with your thumb nail.

The best test of all easily found testers is at the los angeles silhoutte site. I was person #19 in the LBT test results.

http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

mehavey
07-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Now just scan bullet and use gimp ( free ) to measure the dent.
Be darned if you aren't right.... [smilie=w:

Measurement Tool in Photoshop CS5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAmlUKP9_I)

ukrifleman
08-01-2018, 08:32 AM
224764I have the Lee hardness tester and am satisfied with its performance.

I solved the problem of keeping the microscope steady with this simple fix.

ukrifleman

John Boy
08-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Accuracy of the Lee Hardness Tester compared to other brands ... http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm#Lee
The Lee gets my vote after years of service

twidpa
08-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Saeco

Texas by God
08-01-2018, 03:06 PM
This sounds stupid, but after decades of swinging a hammer I can get a good idea of the hardness by the feel and size of the dent in the metal with one swing of a ball peen hammer. I use pure pb as a baseline.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

W.R.Buchanan
08-01-2018, 03:13 PM
The Lee tester is by far the best bang for your buck. It is also the most accurate and easiest to get consistent results from.

The easiest way to get consistent results from it is to adjust the die so that when your press goes over center the plunger is flush with the top of the die. That way you get the same pressure on the plunger every time.

It even works well with my Hand Press.

I measure my boolits on an Optical Comparator and can literally split BNH#'s in half. Very accurate!

Randy

BHuij
08-01-2018, 03:57 PM
I use the Lee. It's great and I got it for a really good price here from a generous member of this forum.

If I had the money, I'd love to upgrade to the Cabine Tree. The reason for that is speed of measurement. The Lee is just as accurate from everything I've read. But I've been on a kick doing lots of semi-scientific testing with various alloys, heat treating procedures, etc. and that means a lot of time spent counting to 30 and moving the Lee microscope fractions of mm to get a good reading. If you're only going to be testing the odd bullet or ingot here and there, I think the Lee is the best value for money.

Tripplebeards
08-01-2018, 11:56 PM
I bought a Lee. Works great. Cheapest option that is going to give you accurate results. But once, cry once. It will last a lifetime.

GregLaROCHE
08-02-2018, 08:33 AM
I wanted to post this here yesterday, but somehow it ended up in another thread. Don’t know what I did. So here it is again where it belongs.

Thank you all for your advice. I just ordered a Lee. I really liked the CabinTree model,but it is much more expensive. I was worried about using the microscope with the Lee, but then I heard about other ways to measure and I am sure I can get it working and saving a few bucks too.

Didn’t I once hear that casting your own boolits made the cost of shooting go way down. I am sure spending a lot getting set up. There’s a lot of stuff you need, if you want to get it figured out and working well! No turning back now.

Tripplebeards
08-02-2018, 09:35 AM
It's just like reloading. Expensive to get started buying all the equipment then the cost factor goes down. If you charged for your time it would be cheaper buy loaded ammo.lol

Good thing we love what we do.

OS OK
08-02-2018, 09:42 AM
I wanted to post this here yesterday, but somehow it ended up in another thread. Don’t know what I did. So here it is again where it belongs.

Thank you all for your advice. I just ordered a Lee. I really liked the CabinTree model,but it is much more expensive. I was worried about using the microscope with the Lee, but then I heard about other ways to measure and I am sure I can get it working and saving a few bucks too.

Didn’t I once hear that casting your own boolits made the cost of shooting go way down. I am sure spending a lot getting set up. There’s a lot of stuff you need, if you want to get it figured out and working well! No turning back now.

Just take the time and effort to learn how to use the scope as intended, it's a great little BH tester for the $'s. If you color the cast with a red Marks-A-Lot before you dimple, it makes it very easy to see the edges of the crater and align with the scope divisions on the lens...I use a little penlight to add some needed illumination...just lay it flat on the bench pointing at the end of the cast.

https://i.imgur.com/moogt0V.jpg

Soundguy
08-02-2018, 10:18 AM
I’m considering buying a hardness tester. What are the best ones to consider, keeping cost in mind? Lee?
Thanks for all advice and opinions.

for the price, lee. But make a stand for the scope. once you have a stand, it works DARN well. also, follow the directions on where you make the marks. choose good flat areas, not rough mottled areas. for instance when I check my ingots, i use the part of the lead that was at the bottom of the ingot. I drag a flat file across to get a shiney spot and assure no ash or dross is there and then dimple and check.

mehavey
08-02-2018, 08:03 PM
"Make a stand for the scope...."Or if you have PhotoShop and a printer/scanner (like it now seems everyone does), just scan at Hi-Res and measure on the screen.
See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?364795-Best-hardness-tester-for-the-money&p=4420573&viewfull=1#post4420573 for the Stand
and http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?364795-Best-hardness-tester-for-the-money&p=4421236&viewfull=1#post4421236 for the Scanner

Soundguy
08-02-2018, 08:37 PM
If you are getting that technical, I'd use more than a 50$ tool at the center of it all ;)

RED BEAR
08-02-2018, 08:50 PM
This 50 dollar tool works on the same principle as the pro hardness tester we had at work.

Soundguy
08-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Working on the same principles, and working the same are 2 different things.

I can slip a rimmed cartridge into an appropriately sized section of pipe that I being held in a vice, then introduce a nail via hammer to the primer an touch that cartridge off. The principles of that and a single shot firearm with a fixed firing pin are the same when you look at making the primer activate...something hits it, and them it goes bang.

Same principle... But not the same... it isn't a target/dueling pistol....

W.R.Buchanan
08-02-2018, 09:57 PM
The principal is the same and the operation is the same also. They both penetrate the material and you measure the indentation. In the case of the machine it measures the indentation for you. In the case of the Lee you have to measure it yourself, but that's the price you pay for the difference in initial cost.

With my Optical Comparator, a Nikon 6C, worth about $10K, I can accurately measure down to 10 Millionths of an inch. I can get pretty close to the actual BNH of a particular boolit or average of a group of boolits thru interpolation of the Lee Chart..

The Lee Microscope is nothing new. I have had one in my tool box for 35 years as they were a common tool for machinists to have to measure tool points etc.

They were also called "Optical Comparators."

Randy

Larry Gibson
08-03-2018, 02:26 PM
The Lee Hardness Tester is as accurate as any of the other readily available BHN testers. I use the Lee.

However, the biggest problem and complaint of many is the inability to hold the Lee microscope still enough and at the right focal length for an accurate measurement of the indentation in the bullet, alloy sample or ingot. There are numerous solutions to this problem from the simplest to extravagant homemade apparatus. I solved the problem by simply adapting the Lee microscope to a kids microscope stand. I found the kids microscope in a second hand store and got it for about $13. I removed the lens from the body tube and wrapped duct tape around the Lee microscope so it was a friction fit inside the stand’s body tube.

With the scopes up/down adjustment in its middle range I can slide the Lee scope up and down inside the tube for a rough adjustment with different sized bullets or ingots. The actual up/down adjustment of the stand then gives a precise focus of the scale and indentation making for accurate and repeatable measurements. A piece of card cut from a soda pop 12 pack case is used with a wad of modeling clay on it to hold the bullet solidly in any position desired so the indentation is correctly positioned for measurement. The card is then moved to align the indentation to the scale in the Lee microscope.

I have found this to be an excellent set up to accurately measure the BHN of cast bullets, ingots and other samples of alloys.

Soundguy
08-03-2018, 04:43 PM
The principal is the same and the operation is the same also. They both penetrate the material and you measure the indentation. In the case of the machine it measures the indentation for you. In the case of the Lee you have to measure it yourself, but that's the price you pay for the difference in initial cost.

With my Optical Comparator, a Nikon 6C, worth about $10K, I can accurately measure down to 10 Millionths of an inch. I can get pretty close to the actual BNH of a particular boolit or average of a group of boolits thru interpolation of the Lee Chart..

The Lee Microscope is nothing new. I have had one in my tool box for 35 years as they were a common tool for machinists to have to measure tool points etc.

They were also called "Optical Comparators."

Randy

I love the straight face comparison of a 10k$ tool and a 50-70$ tool, and then quip that they are the same. Gotta love internet forums... ;)

Some people think calipers and micrometers are interchangeable too.....

mehavey
08-03-2018, 09:31 PM
https://s33.postimg.cc/89yll0pa7/BHN_Meas_2_LEE_358-200_RNFP-_GC.jpg

(postscript: Thanks to OS OK for the red Sharpie tip) :goodpost:

OS OK
08-04-2018, 03:51 AM
Your welcome mehavy, sometimes the simplest of fixes are the best.

I still hold the scope by a steady hand and have gotten used to moving it in the opposite direction to align the scale...now if only I could figure a way to measure across on the sharpest edges that would be ideal...but, often times the scope slips off the edge of the cast...oh well, you can't have it all sometimes.

RED BEAR
08-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Lee's work great i got the same reading at home on the Lee that I got on a pro model at work. It don't always have to cost a fortune to work. And if you just scan the dent and measure it it is very easy.

evoevil
08-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I have the Lee and it works good once you play around with it

08-08-2018, 10:32 PM
The pencils are about $10 and as accurate as I'll ever need. I had the Lee tester and hated that thing. The pencils are genius.

Geezer in NH
08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Agree my pencil set cot 8 bucks. Works for what is needed unless you want to make it harder than it is. I'd rather be shooting myself.

DonH
08-09-2018, 09:09 PM
I bought an LBT 30 years ago before I knew there were others available. It works so I have seen no need to buy another.

kcajeel
08-11-2018, 11:05 PM
I bought a Lee and used it for a couple of years. It was a good cheap tester but hard to see with old eyes. I finally graduated to a cabin tree and really love it. I find myself going back to the Lee and compairing measurements sometimes when I'm just not sure. Most times the extra checkings weren't needed.
I do keep my Lee for a backup. It don't take a lot of room.