PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a RCBS LAM

Leadmelter
07-24-2018, 08:39 PM
I was using my LAM lubing some 44 mag bullets. I got the into a good mode and then the next bullet goes in sized but comes out without lube on it. I push the bullet back into the die and I get a glob of lube under the bullet, no lube in the bullet and a mess to clean up.
I was using Carbona blue.
I don't understand how the lube can get under the bullet when it is under constant pressure. Any help will make me happy not having to clean up the LAM every fifth bullet.
Leadmelter
MI

Tom W.
07-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Mine does that every now and then, usually when I add pressure. I just scrape it off with a little screwdriver and throw it into my lead pot. I use Carnauba Red, but I've had it do the same with any lube that I've used in the past. Lyman moly was the worst......

osteodoc08
07-25-2018, 11:01 PM
When are you turning the dog bone? I’ve found that by seating the bullet, an 1/16-1/8 turn and up works well for me. If I’m using a heater, it will do this if there is too much pressure and or heat.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-25-2018, 11:50 PM
SNIP...

I don't understand how the lube can get under the bullet when it is under constant pressure.
The boolit isn't necessarily under constant pressure, unless your hand is providing that constant pressure. If a lube port is aligned with the boolit base and you let up on pressure after the boolit bottoms out, there is a chance that lube will enter under the boolit especially of there is a imperfection in the base, and push the boolit up.

BCB
07-27-2018, 04:07 PM
I’ve noticed if you are trying to lube only the bottom lube groove and your boolit is not being pushed far enough into the sizing die, you can get some lube that way. Also, if the boolit you are sizing has a rounded base—bevel base or just not completely filled-out, lube will sneak under the base also… (All basically what JonB said)

I have cut a piece of Styrofoam from the bottom of a meat package and put it under the boolit. Once it is smashed in place, it will remain there on the rod that pushes the boolit out of the die. This seems to fill the gap and not allow lube to go under the boolit. Sometimes the foam needs replaced so I cut a few of them—tedious, but it seems to work…

Good-luck…BCB