PDA

View Full Version : Range Trip Spoiled

BigBlack
09-20-2008, 09:36 AM
This week I hustled each evening doing enough honey dues so I could spend a little time in the Mans Den working up a few reloads. It was not until yesterday I remembered a family reunion today, therefore no range trip this weekend. I did however workup the following

.223 30 round (fine tuning sweet spot) using H335 and Hornady 53gr match HPBT

.243 21 rounds (still working on finding sweet spot) using H4350 and 100gr Sierra Game Kings

8x57mm 33 rounds (first time with this one) using Varget and Hornady 150gr SP

30-06 33 rounds (first time with this one) using IMR4350 and 165gr Hornady SST

Why 4 at a time, well it is hard to sit there and wait for a barrel to cool so I will alternate the 4 rifles, 3 shots each then walk out to the 100 and replace targets and once back at bench record all my data on the individual targets and start my next series. Does this sound like a good plan? Wish me luck!

qajaq59
09-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, that is certainly a better plan then sitting at the bench waiting for the barrels to cool while you chew on your fingernails. Go for it.
And I have only one rule. I shoot on Friday mornings..... Period. I don't schedule doctors, dentists, family gatherings or anything else. No exceptions. If it's Friday, then I'm going to the range. You'd be amazed how that simplifies my life.

compass will
09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Well, that is certainly a better plan then sitting at the bench waiting for the barrels to cool while you chew on your fingernails.

Saw this guy last weekend that hooked up a hose to a CO2 bottle. He has made an PVC adapter that fit right in where the bolt was. Pulled the bolt, stuck in the hose and turned on the gas.

Me I enjoy the "cooling time" because I have a couple friends at the range that all enjoy BSing.

Freightman
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Saw a man who was in a hurry to cool his S-S barrel down pouring cold water over his barrel, think I will sit and drink my coffee. I am no scientist but cold and hot all of a sudden cause some bad things to happen, I might be wrong but I think I will sit and drink coffee

Scrounger
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
The cold water treatment is common at shotgun tournaments and I've never heard any complaints about it. Would rifle barrels be different? I don't know but it looks like it would be easy enough to test out.

Larry Gibson
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
BigBlack

I'd like to know the loads your testing? Sounds like a decent plan for shooting. I'll many times do something similar when the range is busy and I'm not using the chronographe or pressure testing. For me i've found juggling more than 3 rifles of different cartridges can get confusing and I lose track of what is what on the targets. I started making notes at the bench so I could correlate the groups to the loads when the targets were retrieved. Just a bit of suggestion that might help you.

Larry Gibson

hylander
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
.223 30 round (fine tuning sweet spot) using H335 and Hornady 53gr match HPBT

How much H-335 is under those Hornadys, I use 27gr. H-335 for 40 V-Max and it is Awsome. I have been wanting to give H-335 a try under some 55 SP

BigBlack
09-25-2008, 08:52 PM
My initial test produced a nice .6" group with 24.5gr. I am now working between 24gr and 25gr. I have a few "hot" loads according to Hornady's manual I am going to be testing to see if they are any better. It seemed the groups were starting to tighten back up as my powder reach the published max.

Even at the published max I had absolutly no signs of high pressure.

kmag
09-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I've seen beanchrest shooters pour water over and through their barrels to cool them.