PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Boxes and Pine

Just Duke
09-20-2008, 04:38 AM
I threw these together to store bullets and to store bullets after they have been lubed.
I wanted to dove tail them together but not that important to look cool.
They look big in the pic but they only measure out to around 7 X 7 X 13 1/2 inches with the lid on.
Need to make 18 more though.
I'm am looking at putting handles on them also.

Here's what inspired me to do so. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34960

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=35010

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/001-5.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/002-3.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/003-2.jpg

Southern Son
09-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Very flash, are you going to finish them? If so, what with? Oil?

Just Duke
09-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Very flash, are you going to finish them? If so, what with? Oil?

No sir I will not finish them they are just little crates but thanks for your comment. :drinks:
I have been retired for 10 years and have alot of time on my hands.

deltaenterprizes
09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
They are a little big,I hope you don't get a hernia picking them up. I used to cast boolits by the 5 gal bucket try moving one of them! I have some in 30 cal ammo cans and one 50 cal ammo can ,the 30s are heavy and the 50 is a real chore to move. Lead needs to be stored in small containers so that it can be easily moved.It would be a good idea to label the outside of the container so you don't need to move all of them to find out what is in the one on the bottom of the pile!

Just Duke
09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
They are a little big,I hope you don't get a hernia picking them up. I used to cast boolits by the 5 gal bucket try moving one of them! I have some in 30 cal ammo cans and one 50 cal ammo can ,the 30s are heavy and the 50 is a real chore to move. Lead needs to be stored in small containers so that it can be easily moved.It would be a good idea to label the outside of the container so you don't need to move all of them to find out what is in the one on the bottom of the pile!

These have the same volume or less as a .50 caliber ammo can. The will hold 3 layers of 45-70 or 500 S&W bullets.

deltaenterprizes
09-20-2008, 12:59 PM
When you fill the first one and go to move it you will know if it has too much in it ,the bottom will fall out! A dado cut around the bottom is a nice feature for containers for heavy contents.

JeffinNZ
09-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Holy crap they are robust! I have seen 20' shipping containers less well made.:drinks:

Muddy Creek Sam
09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Duke,

Handles or Ropes would be excellent for moving them, Full.

Sam :-D

badgeredd
09-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Duke,

I like 'em! I may have to see now if I can come close to your craftsmanship.

I'll likely modify your design just a little (make them smaller by 50%), but I like the simplicity and utility of your boxes. Well done.

Edd

Just Duke
09-20-2008, 06:27 PM
When you fill the first one and go to move it you will know if it has too much in it ,the bottom will fall out! A dado cut around the bottom is a nice feature for containers for heavy contents.

Well the bottom didn't fall out. :roll:

Just Duke
09-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Weight? huh! I don't care about weight. I have carried many a conquest to the top floor to her sleeping arangements. ;)

yondering
09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Looks good Duke! Some leather or old nylon sling material would make good handles on the sides.

Catshooter
09-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Weight? huh! I don't care about weight. I have carried many a conquest to the top floor to her sleeping arangements. ;)

Does the wife know? For a small monthly fee I won't call her up . . . [smilie=1:

Cat

gds
09-20-2008, 08:05 PM
those look great.

GabbyM
09-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Seeing those boxes brings up images of the movie Zulu Dawn.
Keep a screw driver handy.

dk17hmr
09-21-2008, 09:18 AM
I would probably put some poly/laquer at least in the inside of the boxes. The bullet lube will make a mess out of it and lead for that matter will turn the box gray.

Looks good though, my dad has been on me about getting my cast bullet orginized, may just have to make a few.

RP
09-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Just a little input the boxes I have built with screws hold good but if I used some good wood glue it did not matter about the screws holding the wood would split before the joint turned loose.

Just Duke
09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Just a little input the boxes I have built with screws hold good but if I used some good wood glue it did not matter about the screws holding the wood would split before the joint turned loose.

My thought exactly that why I used Titebond Wood Glue.
I will be putting handles on them today.
The boxes will all have cardboard lining and spacers.

Inside dimesion is 12 X 5.5 X 4.75 Deep

Just Duke
09-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Does the wife know? For a small monthly fee I won't call her up . . . [smilie=1:

Cat
OH YEA! She was well aware of my prior reputation. :bigsmyl2:
Now I build bullet boxes on friday night. :violin: <sigh>

imashooter2
09-21-2008, 12:39 PM
OH YEA! She was well aware of my prior reputation. :bigsmyl2:
Now I build bullet boxes on friday night. :violin: <sigh>

Tis the way of the married man!

Oh well, better a has been than a never was...

colbyjack
09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
next he'll be makeing some for her shoes..... :P then all her friends will want some... and we will be like hey duke what happened to the boolit boxes... he'll be like they got shoes in them and im stuck using cardboard shoe boxes for boolits hehehehehhee -chris

garandsrus
09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Duke,

Nice job...

I have built similar boxes for holding about 40 boxes of shotgun shells. The handles I made were just 1x2 scraps, with the edges rounded, attached to the side of the box. A couple screws from the inside of the box and some glue and you would be all set.

Another suggestion would be to use cleats around the inside top of the box so that you could lift the lid off without removing any screws, yet the lid wouldn't slide off.

John

Just Duke
09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Tis the way of the married man!

Oh well, better a has been than a never was...

Yep! I went from the casting couch to the cast bench. :groner:
But I'm still having fun making bullets and working with WOOD! from time to time. ;)

Just Duke
09-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Duke,

Nice job...

I have built similar boxes for holding about 40 boxes of shotgun shells. The handles I made were just 1x2 scraps, with the edges rounded, attached to the side of the box. A couple screws from the inside of the box and some glue and you would be all set.

Another suggestion would be to use cleats around the inside top of the box so that you could lift the lid off without removing any screws, yet the lid wouldn't slide off.

John

My thoughts exactly Gman! 1 X 2's screwed and glued to 3/4 X 3/4 blocks of Alder which is all I have kicking around at this time.

Just Duke
09-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I would probably put some poly/laquer at least in the inside of the boxes. The bullet lube will make a mess out of it and lead for that matter will turn the box gray.

Looks good though, my dad has been on me about getting my cast bullet orginized, may just have to make a few.

Thanks DK. :-D
That wood look real pretty but it would be to much effort for some bullet crates.

carpetman
09-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Duke---You don't care about weight you have carried many of your conquests to the top floor of her sleeping arrangements. Now you being the stylish person that you are---do you have any pictures of yourself in leopard skin with your club?

Just Duke
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Duke---You don't care about weight you have carried many of your conquests to the top floor of her sleeping arrangements. Now you being the stylish person that you are---do you have any pictures of yourself in leopard skin with your club?

Back to the bullet boxes please.

rvpilot76
09-23-2008, 03:06 PM

:bigsmyl2:

Refraktorius
09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Nice boxes, they deserve hemp-rope handles!

spurrit
09-23-2008, 04:00 PM
MAy I suggest rope handles?

PatMarlin
09-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Minwax Wipe on Poly. THee most awesome finshish I have found for pine as yet.

Just Duke
09-26-2008, 03:53 AM
I made a wood handle and didn't like the look of it beings it stuck out to far. So rope handes seem to be the next runner up.

luv44mag
09-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Those look great and are a good idea. some of the old crates had handles that were cut into the ends.... kind of a half moon on edge or a trough...... just enough for the finger tips but not all the way through the wood. maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep and 1 inch by 3 inch in size.

another idea would be nylon strap handles held by bolts and washers.... hemp always makes a mess when I have used it... kind of falls apart

Thanks for the look at your project.

Just Duke
11-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok Ok you guys were right.
I just installed wood handles and mixed up some Sherwinn Williams catylized laquer and sprayed the boxes with the attached handles.
They are done and thanks for the imput guys.

crabo
11-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Where are the pictures?

Just Duke
11-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Their drying right now.

Just Duke
11-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Where are the pictures?

HERE (http://50caliberforum.proboards99.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=marlinsharedcastingandrelo&thread=1048&page=1)..........

PatMarlin
11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Those are slick Duke. I mill up a lot of that pine. Blued and buggied, multi species too.