PDA

View Full Version : gahendra and .455 webley hb bullet

loiner1965
07-22-2018, 01:25 AM
not sure if in the right section or not....
i know a few shooters use the .455 webley hollow base bullet in a colt 45 chamber adapter as a plinking round bt as anyone tried it in a 577/450 case?
would it stabilised ?
was thinking of using 65gns of swiss no 3 .
your thoughts as always most welcomed

jugulater
07-22-2018, 02:09 PM
The Gahendra is a very Unique Rifle. You really need to slug your bore and know what it is, ive heard of these guns being as small as .451 and others running .459. if your barrel is on the smaller end then the webley boolit should be ok, but if your gun runs on the fat side you may not see great accuracy.

As for the powder and load i would be extremely cautious. maybe even use a reduced load of a 1F equivalent powder, with Kapock or something similar taking up the rest of the space.

i also seriously suggest having it looked at, The Nepalese Threw the Gahendra to the side once they got Surplus British guns, so some of these guns have serious issues.

although as a side note ive always kinda wanted to find one i could shoot, the history and mysterious origins of this gun are fascinating.

Idz
07-22-2018, 02:52 PM
My standard Martini-Henry load in reformed 24ga shotshell brass is: CCI Large Pistol Primer, 72 grains volume of GoEx 2Fg, 1/2 of unrolled cottonball filler, soda box .020 cardboard wad, 1/4" grease cookie, a couple more wads, a paper-patched 463 grain Lee 459-405-HB soft lead bullet. First time out I clamp the rifle to the bench and fire from a distance with a cord attached to the trigger. I shoot a couple 'standard' loads, then a couple with 110 grains volume 2Fg as 'proof' tests. All my Nepalese Francottes, Gahendras, and British MH have done well as they are quite overbuilt.
Stick with soft lead and 1Fg or 2Fg and yours will probably be fine.

loiner1965
07-22-2018, 04:16 PM
thank you gentlemen....i have 2 gahendras .....one is the rarer side script on the receiver rather than on the tang.
i slugged the barrel around 6 years ago and they are around .456, DD comfirmed it as i sent him the slugs to measure.
i have shot them before with 15gn trailboss with 405gn lee bullet at .459 and also with bp.
only asking as a chap on another forum uses .455 webley bullets with 6gns trailboss with a .45 colt adapter as a plinking load.
si i was hoping 65gn swiss 2fg might have enough uummmpfth to expand the hb bullets .

jugulater
07-22-2018, 05:22 PM
id say give it a shot and report back how it goes.

i need to get a Gahendra to go with my Nepalese Snider and MkIV Martini while they can still be had.