PDA

View Full Version : Jacketed to cast data?

crabo
09-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I am assuming that I can take data for jacketed bullets for revolvers and pistols and use it for the same weight of cast boolits. I know that cast will have less pressure and should have a little increase in velocity over the jacketed.

Right?

Thanks,

357maximum
09-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Assuming the boolit takes up the same amount of case space as the bullet you are replacing ....you assume correctly in my experience. There are no rules without exceptions but this one comes pretty darned close.

missionary5155
09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
And before you JUMP into the FULL power Max loads you might want to BACK OFF and start with the suggested starting load and work up. Assume nuttin when it is your hand on the handle.

DLCTEX
09-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I would expect to generally find that less than jacketed loads will produce better accuracy and less leading with cast boolits. DALE

Cap'n Morgan
09-20-2008, 09:35 AM
I am assuming that I can take data for jacketed bullets for revolvers and pistols and use it for the same weight of cast boolits. I know that cast will have less pressure and should have a little increase in velocity over the jacketed.

Actually, with less initial pressure, I believe you'll get less speed than with a jacketed bullet.

jimkim
09-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I asked Ed Harris, "Is there a conversion formula I can use to convert jacketed data for cast usage?" He said, " For GC bullets I work in the range of 15-20% below the jacketed charge."
I don't know if this helps you, but I use it now.