PDA

View Full Version : Skin cancer

popper
07-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Yea, we get the L.N. squirts every once in a while. This was different. Pea sized wort looking thing showed up, back side of hand, in a week. Go to skin doc, then skin surgery center. I'm not a beach/pool type, inside job for 40+ years. Outside exposure - lawn work & some light fishing. This stuff is supposed to be from UV exposure. Just a note - see something, get it looked at. Doing fine, just waiting for the dozen stitches (2 1/2" slice) to heal. Took 2 Moes procedures to get it all. Seems like pics won't post. Ugly anyway.

lightman
07-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Hoping you recover quickly.

nvbirdman
07-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Six or seven years ago they chopped up my ear a little bit for some basil cell carcinoma, and my arm for squamous cell carcinoma, and a few years later found some melanoma on my forehead. As long as they find these things early, I don't worry too much about them. Got my six-month dermatology appointment coming up Wednesday.

phonejack
07-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Same here, appointment every 6 months. Spray, scrape or gouge. Hands, arms, ears. I bought and wear a wide brimmed straw hat to wear outside in the summer . It certainly has helped.

farmerjim
07-22-2018, 07:23 AM
I have go to the dermatologist every 3 months. Have had all of the skin cancers several times. I get a new one at least once a year. I was out in the sun for too many years without protection. I do not go out without covering up now. 20 years too late. It is sort of weird to go to the female dermatologist and have to strip down to nothing as she looks you over with a magnifying glass.

Goatwhiskers
07-22-2018, 08:07 AM
I can only scream and shout to echo what the others have said: when you find something on your skin that wasn't there GET IT LOOKED AT!! Mine was melanoma, the chemo left me with a heckuva case of neuropathy. Feet burn and hurt with every step, really knocked out my outdoor activities. There is no cure. GW

jsizemore
07-22-2018, 08:09 AM
It is sort of weird to go to the female dermatologist and have to strip down to nothing as she looks you over with a magnifying glass.

I wouldn't be telling a women.

richhodg66
07-22-2018, 08:38 AM
My Dad has had quite a few removed from his scalp. One of the things he told me that the docs told him is that a lot of it results from sun exposure you got very early in life and that it could well be the result of the sun he got as a small kid in rural Texas, not things since. As you get older, your body doesn't resist cancers as well, so they don't show up for years afterwards.

Skin cancer seems to run in my family, I'm lucky in that my complexion isn't as fair as many of my relatives. I try to keep covered when out in it, but I try to keep an eye on anything that looks funny.

MrWolf
07-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Saw something on my nose last week and made an appointment. Luckily they said it was not bad and did the freeze treatment. Got two more over next six months. I burned and peeled so many times in my younger days every new spot has me worried. Ha, I used to be bullet proof. What happened so fast? :(

Rick N Bama
07-22-2018, 12:47 PM
I have worked outside all of my life and I'm now 70yo. In the past 20 years or so I've had about 100 pre-cancerous spots frozen off plus two Squamous Cancers on my face which were handled with MOES surgery. I've also had a Melanoma Cancer which was on my left ear lobe. I see my Dermatologist this coming Tuesday and I'm sure I'll leave with 6 or 7 more spots frozen. I know of three needing attention and I'm sure the Doc will find several more.

AZ Pete
07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
if you are fair complected, light eyed and worked and or played outdoors, you should see a dermatologist on a scheduled basis. I will be 70, this week. I grew up in the South West, outdoors for work and play. Fair skin, light eyes. Semi annual visits to a dermatologist since 1980. First MOHS surgery in about 1995, three more since. The last one took about ten percent of an ear. I expect more in the future. All in all, pretty small price for enjoying the out of doors, and good weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quilbilly
07-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Not all skin cancers are the result of sun. Some occur where the skin does a lot of stretching. I get both varieties and I am a favorite for hands on learning since my dermatology doc is the head of the Dept at the university. I do sometimes wish that so many of the young dermatology resident doctors were not such pretty young ladies when they check me out with the magnifying glass.

Sam Casey
07-22-2018, 03:59 PM
I share all the problems mentioned above. Too much golf, fish, clays, & hunt with just a stupid baseball type hat, with short sleeved shirts & pants.

Don Purcell
07-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Had a melanoma mole removed early 2016 from lower left side. April this year my checkup doctor (a very cute female brunette) extended my checkups to yearly. Have about a four inch scar where the doctor took it out in 2016 and he said it was the most shallow one he had seen. He said if we had not found it then in about 4-5 years we would have been having a very different discussion about my future.

Leadmelter
07-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Back in my MRI scanning days, I saw some awful cases of melanoma and all were fatal.
When it takes hold, it can rapidly spread through the body. Be careful
Leadmelter
MI

2wheelDuke
07-22-2018, 04:54 PM
This reminds me, I should schedule a checkup. I've been working in the sun daily for 2 years now.

buckwheatpaul
07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Popper....great advice....I've got that pasty white Irish skin and cant stand to be inside, except when extremely hot, and has dealt with skin cancers in various types including a melanoma.....cover up, including large hat and gloves and wear sun block on the exposed skin.....if it itches, is painful, rough you need to get it checked out......had an aunt die from a melanoma .... not a pretty sight.....thanks for the post and get well....Paul

nvbirdman
07-22-2018, 05:27 PM
A few years ago I went to see my dermatologist and when the young assistant told me to strip down she asked me if I wanted a robe. I told her "I'm seventy years old, nobody wants to look at this body". That got a chuckle out of her.

lightman
07-22-2018, 05:36 PM
I guess I'm Lucky. I spent my youth outdoors and all of my working career. Often hatless and shirtless and no sun block. I'll be 61 soon and I've recently had a couple of spots burned off that were said to be pre-cancerous. It probably helps that I'm part Greek and somewhat dark complected. Having admitted all of that, I'll second taking care of yourself and seeing a Doc for a regular check up. You Fellows that are going through this, I wish you the best.

gray wolf
07-23-2018, 07:18 PM
POPPER--prayers sent up for you, hang in and get better.

swheeler
07-23-2018, 08:54 PM
I had four removed from Dec 2017 to Jan 2018, 7 biopsies and four were cancer, the other three were frozen off. I never noticed anything after hundred or so shots of "cain" and the sixty or so stitches healed up really nice, the two on the skin over my jugular made me a little nervous, I told my surgeon I hoped he wasn't hung over, he got a good laugh! Five years prior I had two removed on my face, the one by my right eye was a do over, I looked Chinese for a few months :-) Popper you'll be fine, chicks dig scars, don't worry!

popper
07-23-2018, 10:31 PM
I initially thought is was a spider bite, just a large pimple looking thing. Just waiting for the stitches to heal. Surprised at how much was unseen.

John Guedry
07-23-2018, 10:58 PM
Had one removed from inside my right cheek a few years ago. Was cancerous (don't remember the variety). Got the sermon about uv protection long sleeves,etc. But I never go in the sun without my pants.

Rick N Bama
07-24-2018, 06:46 PM
I had my semi annual visit with my Dermatologist today. I now appear to have Aids with 4 zaps of the LN Bottle on my face plus two spots she thought needed to be biopsied, one on my left hand and the other on the calf of my right leg. We'll see how those turn out, but I honestly think they're just age spots.