PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up on some fairly inexpensive Large rifle primers

Buckshot
11-29-2005, 01:47 AM
.............I was on Graf & Sons website today mucking about and I noticed most all the PMC primers were listed as "Out of Stock, NLA" except the LR version. They were reduced to $59/5000 with no further discounts.

The guy I talked to at Grafs was very enthusiastic about them and said that wehnt eh word was out that they were going to be discontinued a lot of people stocked up. He said that they were very excellent primers and exceedingly consistant.

I asked why, if they were so good they were being discontinued. He said they were made in Russia and the Russians discovered they could get a lot more money for them then they were getting here. Here being the U.S I guess? He said name recognition with PMC and primers wasn't a household thing like CCI, Federal, et al.

He said they still had a good stock of them, but I don't know what that means :D. Actually at the gunshows around here I can get Winchester LR primers for what these PMC's cost with shipping and haz mat. You can get 7 sleeves of 5,000 shipped for one haz mat, FYI :-)

..............Buckshot

Johnch
12-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I got 10,000 at Camp Perry this summer .
The guys that I know that shoot there say they are match grade or close to it.
A few claim they are better than Fed Match primers , my skill with a match rifle is lacking at best .
I went for the good price .
They are made in Russa .
I have been using then for some 303 and 7.62 x 54R loads .
I have found they seat a few thou. deeper than US made primers , but work perfectly .
I was told the cup is a few thou shorter ( I never bothered to check)

Johnch

Buckshot
12-03-2005, 10:06 AM
..............Well I ordered 30,000 of them. I figured the wife would be at work Friday but nope. She took the day off so when I got up to come to work yesterday evening there was this box sitting there by the front door in the living room. EEK! She says, "You got something with hazardous labels. I don't know what it is but it's heavy".

Heavy equates to expensive in her mind. And while they were, if she hadn't known it would have been just fine. Oh well. I've been in the doghouse enough to be quite comfortable there :D.

.............Buckshot

felix
12-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Buckshot, how fat are these primers in outside diameter? Compare to others on your bench, please. 1995 CCi's are the fattest I have on hand. Compare seating feel too because these new cups might be springy. ... felix

Buckshot
12-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Buckshot, how fat are these primers in outside diameter? Compare to others on your bench, please. 1995 CCi's are the fattest I have on hand. Compare seating feel too because these new cups might be springy. ... felix

..............Okay.

BTW, I just unpacked the box Saturday AM when I got home and they shipped the primers free! There was a $20 haz mat charge, but free shipping on 48 lbs, gross! Yippee!

.............Buckshot

LIMPINGJ
12-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks Buckshot, I just put in order for 40K. I could not drive to a gunshow and get any better price.
Jim