PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Side Of Being In The Brass Biz

mike in co
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
i got a call from a guy wanting to sell me some brass. one of my wholesalers had refered him to me. arranged to meet him after his work. the orginal sell was suppose to be aprox 120 lbs of mixed brass. when i inquired, it had been shot multiple times, so just scrap to me.
here is where it gets good. ohh and a dillon square deal, 4 lubersizers, 8 sizing dies, 6 top punches,about 8 molds, a couple thou 452/255 boolits, several hundred xtp's in 44 and 45, 4 cans of powder, probably 50 plastic ammo boxes, 10 or so loading books(single caliber)a couple sets of lee dies, a range box,AN AR-15 A-1 WITH COLLASPABLE STOCK, AN SKS, LIKE NEW COMPLETE WITH CHEST BANDOLIER AND CLEANING KIT, .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
and so why would i post it in the cast boolit section ????????????

maybe because of the 4 three gallon buckets of cleaned wheel wieghts....300 plus pounds!

BOUGHT IT ALL( and yes the brass was just scrap)

yep buying brass is fun......

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
(ps...there is a dillon 550 possible up also.....)

jdgabbard
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Now for the real question. What are you going to do with all that scrap brass ;)

mike in co
09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
i sell most of my brass to commercial reloaders....

very little actually gets scraped.

mike

ohh and there was a heater for the rcbs lube sizer...i guess it goes with the 6 sticks of blue angel.

mike in co

Echo
09-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Carrumba. Were you wearing a mask and carrying a gun? Bet you felt like you should have had same...

missionary5155
09-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Yep... Every now and then a Yappa (bonus) falls in with the deal. Some years back I was at a home to buy a large collection of Pocket watches ( I repair them). As I was packing the nice old lady and I were talking and she mentioned she wanted her husbands double barrel cleaned. I said I would do it for nothing and bring it back the next day. She then asked if I had been in the military..."yep".. Well then (she says) would you just give me $100 for this old gun ??? Yep ! Very nice Savage 12 guage marked Government Property. Her husband was the armorer on a Carrier (Navy) and when the ship was decommisioned was told to take a couple souveneers.

Bret4207
09-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Dang Mike! Wish one of those events would find it's way into my life. Good for you!

Jack Stanley
09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm always happy to see deals like that come along .... even if it isn't me loading the deal into my truck :-DHearing about the old Savage double barrel from the widow reminds me of a deal on a gun I got once . A fella wanted to sell an old gun and wanted me to estimate a value before he took it to the gun shop . It was a safe bet for him because I don't try to buy the guys that I've priced for others ( I missed a nice Winchester 61 in .22 magnum once because of that ) .
So , I showed him the dents in the barrel much of the blue was gone and the checkering nearly worn off the gun and told him the price . In fact told him the price for different individuals that might buy it . I was shocked when he said I could have it for that price . Well what would you do ..... a solid but ugly Remington , twelve guage , model 1893 , nitro steel , outside hammers , for three hundred bucks ?? lemme see now where's my check book ?

I do think the deal on the scrap brass that comes with everything including an AR15 has all of us beat :drinks:

Jack

insanelupus
09-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I had a guy that asked if I would be interested in an old "black powder" gun once. I said sure, went and looked at it and didn't quite know what it was. Never seen one before. I asked what he wanted. He says $60. I bought it.

The springs were broken, but their was still rifling in the barrel. A few screws were buggered and a brass shoe was missing from the action release.

When I realized I'd bought a Smith Carbine I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Now, what to do with a $60 Smith Carbine is the question I've asked myself for the past year and a half!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/insanelupus/IMG_1344.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/insanelupus/IMG_1334.jpg

Ricochet
09-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Put a black plastic stock, a Picatinny rail with a scope and light on it, and make a "tactical" Smith carbine, of course!

yondering
09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike, you going to sell that RCBS lubamatic? If so, I'd like to buy it. PM sent about same.

mike in co
09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Mike, you going to sell that RCBS lubamatic? If so, I'd like to buy it. PM sent about same.

if this had happened any other time of the month i would have offered the stuff up here, but as it is i'm working a gun show this weekend so it was just much more stuff for the show. my normal one table show became three tables and my son working just the brass full time.
i sold all lubriziers less one and the heater i kept for me. the ar was sold as just the upper(colt as it ends up), the sks sold complete for full price with bandolier, ammo pouch, cleaning kit, and a book on sks's. all bullets sold, all ammo boxes sold. the lubersizers, molds , size dies, and top punches all sold on friday to dealers.
as i kept the lower that came with the ar, i'm selling one of my bare ar lowers.....gotta keep the books kinda even.
picked up a ruger mk II 22 4.75 inch with 2 mags and a holster, and a denver redfield 3x9 scope. working on a redfield 6-18.

one of our members delivered the lee tool old school priming tool with screw in shell holders. he had for sale in that section of our board. nice meeting guys face to face.

if i have anything left fron the show i will offer it up here.

thanks
mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS CO.

Depreacher
09-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I figured nobody else on CB.com could work on or clean their own mechanical wristwatches or pocket watches but me. Learned how from the level 1 course on timezone, and reading lots of repair books. Also Figured I was the only ham, but there were at least two others on here. Plenty of gunsmiths and machinests (thank goodness), and even a couple of preachers. All gun lovers , of course, with most of them casting their own boolits. I never ceased to be amazed at the variety of skills and advice available to our members just for the asking. may GOD bless, De Preacher