PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers & Doves

lightman
07-16-2018, 02:28 PM
As some of you know, I have been hosting a Dove Hunt for several years. In earlier years we legally baited with Wheat but have been planting Sunflowers for the last few years. I sprayed for weeds a few weeks ago and fertilized them last week. I just got back from checking on them. The weeds are mostly gone and the plants are heading out. We caught a nice rain last night, that we badly needed. I'm a little later than normal, as I had to wait for a planter to come available. Anyway, I'll post some pictures afterwhile. I know a few of you guys Dove Hunt so tell us about your fields!

richhodg66
07-16-2018, 02:48 PM
I never have dove hunted really and want to this year. The public land I hunt on usually has a lot of them when I'm out during muzzle loader season, and there are usually fields of milo planted. I have a few corners I could sit in and wait for them.

One problem is we're required to use non lead shot. I bought four boxes of steel #7s in 12 gauge which ought to be good. I need to get out and pattern the gun with some of them.

I sure wouldn't mind any pointers from you experienced guys.

Tom W.
07-16-2018, 03:10 PM
My experience is that if I hit a dove it was going to die that day anyway.......

Hogtamer
07-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Shooting doves is about as much fun as a man can have with a gun. Sunflowers are about the best attractant. You can hav some weeds but grass needs to be gone. When heads begin to dry birds will sit on them and beat with their wings to dislodge some. Suggest mowing strips down to the ground when they're dry and leaving some for shooters cover. If you usd bin run seeds you may not get the big heads you want so a little "supplement" on the bare spots nver hurts. We've got a lot of volunteer millet ready now and about 300 birds already using. About 10 days before the season we'll mow strips in what we planted. It will be good for 15 bird limits several times on about 20 acres, a dozen or so of us shooting. 20 ga with #9 for me the first season. 8s then 7 1/2 later. Counting the days!

LUCKYDAWG13
07-16-2018, 03:45 PM
on the public hunting land were we dove hunt the state plants sunflower plots for us to hunt over it's a blast

popper
07-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Sunflowers, mesquite trees and a good fence row..

Taylor
07-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Dove hunting......public land......everyone in a circle around the field....guns pointed in to the center. I took shot in the shoulder, my son....in his man parts. That was funny. They just rained down, no velocity. Kinda reminded me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon looking at all the hunters.

David2011
07-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Game warden says I can hunt Eurasian dove in my back yard all I want with a pellet rifle as long as I have a hunting license. I told him I had a suppressed Gamo and he said he wanted one for the same The season is from April 1 to March 31; no closed season. No bag limit. Don't have to eat them. They're so plentiful that they're a nuisance. I wish they would place the same (no) restrictions on grackles.

Hogtamer
07-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Lucky you! And they are excellent table fare BTW. Lots of feathers but you can just pull the breasts.

Boolit_Head
07-16-2018, 09:09 PM
There is a outfit down here that hunts over sunflower fields. They have clouds of dove.

Uncle Grinch
07-16-2018, 09:20 PM
My son and I hunted pheasants in Kimball, SD in sunflower fields. Most of you know, you walk the fields and sunflowers, while great attractors, are pure hell to walk through. Understand these are unharvested fields. Dried stalks cut and scratch and the heads interlock to trip you up.

I love to hunt dove over sunflower or peanuts, especially if you have a water hole nearby.

lightman
07-16-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm in a new place this year, but very close (400 Yards) from our field of the last couple of years. I'll leave a strip down the middle and another along one edge. We'll start on one and move to the other if needed. In past years I just used bin quality seeds and broadcast them. This year I took soil samples and added what was recommended. I used Clearfield seeds and planted them with a drill, at the recommended spacing. I've sprayed and fertilized them. I also sprayed on a pre-emerge. I'm not sure if I'm going to mow and burn them or mow and disc them. Both methods have worked well. The are looking good! Dang, posting this is making me excited!

lightman
07-16-2018, 09:28 PM
Game warden says I can hunt Eurasian dove in my back yard all I want with a pellet rifle as long as I have a hunting license. I told him I had a suppressed Gamo and he said he wanted one for the same The season is from April 1 to March 31; no closed season. No bag limit. Don't have to eat them. They're so plentiful that they're a nuisance. I wish they would place the same (no) restrictions on grackles.

We've got Eurasian Doves around here but we've never killed one. My Wife has been feeding several at home all year. Theres no limit on them here. They just seem to like it in town.

lightman
07-16-2018, 09:42 PM
I never have dove hunted really and want to this year. I sure wouldn't mind any pointers from you experienced guys.

Your shots can vary. If you are hunting over a legally baited field your shots will often be short with them trying to land. I call it having their flaps and gear down! A friend calls those high % shots. If you are pass shooting its much harder to hit them. They can fly at like 50+ MPH and they can also zig and zag. You have to learn to lead them and learn to follow through on your shots. Left to right, right to left, coming toward you or flying away from you are all different. It takes practice and experience so don't be disappointed if you miss some. Also, its harder to find the ones that you hit. Favored shot sizes vary from hunter to hunter but 7-1/2, 8 and 9 are favorites. Most stores will have promotional shells on sale, usually low brass with lighter shot weights. You might hit more with a heavier and faster charge. Good Luck and have fun!

Fishman
07-16-2018, 10:21 PM
I never have dove hunted really and want to this year. The public land I hunt on usually has a lot of them when I'm out during muzzle loader season, and there are usually fields of milo planted. I have a few corners I could sit in and wait for them.

One problem is we're required to use non lead shot. I bought four boxes of steel #7s in 12 gauge which ought to be good. I need to get out and pattern the gun with some of them.

I sure wouldn't mind any pointers from you experienced guys.

In my experience, steel 7’s aren’t much good past 25 yards. I actually had better luck with 4’s back when I hunted where steel was required. Can’t explain it but the pattern seemed to be less relevant than the size of the shot. Maybe some 6’s?

Boolit_Head
07-16-2018, 10:29 PM
I switched over to #6 steel for dove due to the added speed. Worked very well for me.

lightman
07-17-2018, 12:00 PM
I use steel for Ducks because its required, but not for anything else. Maybe I need to consider it for Doves. Faster may be better. I usually buy a case of 2-3/4 inch 3-1/4---- 1-1/4 oz of 7-1/2 or 8's. Expensive yes, but they last me a few years.

richhodg66
07-17-2018, 02:21 PM
It's required on the public land here, otherwise, I'd use lead.

Texas by God
07-17-2018, 03:22 PM
My first dove hunt at age 14 is fresh in my memory. Sitting on a creek bank under a Live Oak surrounded by sunflowers. Clouds of Mourning Dove came by and a box of WW Upland 7-1/2s yielded 4 birds. My H&R 490 jr. 20 ga. Didn't fit my tall skinny self so well but man, what a blast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MyFlatline
07-17-2018, 03:37 PM
My first dove hunt at age 14 is fresh in my memory. Sitting on a creek bank under a Live Oak surrounded by sunflowers. Clouds of Mourning Dove came by and a box of WW Upland 7-1/2s yielded 4 birds. My H&R 490 jr. 20 ga. Didn't fit my tall skinny self so well but man, what a blast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That is what is all about,,and the call it hunting not killing. I would starve to death If I was required to feed the family on doves but I sure do like shooting at them..

Freightman
07-17-2018, 05:47 PM
I have dove by the droves three kinds, Morning, White Wing, and Eurasian. they raise in my pine trees seems about three broods worth. In the evening high lines lined with them, wake up every morning to their various sounds. They are smart city allows no killing of birds in city limits.

Thundarstick
07-17-2018, 07:34 PM
There are so many sun flowers planted around here, it's about a waste of time to plant them at all.

Now if I could figure out how to get enough of these seed https://missinghenrymitchell.com/2013/08/29/know-thine-enemy-weed-identification-acalypha-three-seeded-mercury/ to grow a good sized patch I'd have every dove in the county there. This is one of doves favorite! Many times when there's a hot corner in a field, its because of this weed, not the crop that's planted.

lightman
07-17-2018, 10:06 PM
I have dove by the droves three kinds, Morning, White Wing, and Eurasian. they raise in my pine trees seems about three broods worth. In the evening high lines lined with them, wake up every morning to their various sounds. They are smart city allows no killing of birds in city limits.

My Wife and I feed the birds here at home. To the tune of 50# of sunflower seeds every 2 weeks. We also buy several cases of Grape jelly during the Spring for the Oreoles. We have a few pair of the Eurasian doves. The home fed ones are as big as Pigeons. I like to hear them cooing. We have had an Owl but I have not heard him lately. Lots of Humming Birds, Finches, Cardinals, Mocking Birds, Blue Jays, Gross Beaks, Purple Martins, Indigo Buntings, and of course all of the Democrat birds like Sparrows and Black Birds. We're also supporting a few pair of squirrels. Wife won't let me harvest the Doves or Squirrels!

lightman
08-04-2018, 01:41 PM
I took this picture last Thursday.
https://i.imgur.com/VvGrL1Pl.jpg

popper
08-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Man, put my chair under the shade tree and bang away.

MrWolf
08-05-2018, 03:19 PM
I have about three or four sunflower plants growing now under the bird feeder from spillage. Had to stop filling it up for a few weeks as doves were emptying it to fast and other birds not getting a chance.

trapper9260
08-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Now you guys give me a idea of what to do next year of to plant some sunflowers in part of my land and see how many dove will show up.I do have about 2 for sure show around me. That is all.I still got on line to put in to shoot them if I see any when out in the woods. We can use lead on them here also.

Boaz
08-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Hunted wild sunflower patches all my life , The country is covered with sunflowers . Stock tanks (ponds) in the morning and evening .

SSGOldfart
08-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Sunflowers, mesquite trees and a good fence row..

If you can find a big dead tree in that hedge row all the better

brassrat
08-08-2018, 08:51 PM
My Wife and I feed the birds here at home. To the tune of 50# of sunflower seeds every 2 weeks. We also buy several cases of Grape jelly during the Spring for the Oreoles. We have a few pair of the Eurasian doves. The home fed ones are as big as Pigeons. I like to hear them cooing. We have had an Owl but I have not heard him lately. Lots of Humming Birds, Finches, Cardinals, Mocking Birds, Blue Jays, Gross Beaks, Purple Martins, Indigo Buntings, and of course all of the Democrat birds like Sparrows and Black Birds. We're also supporting a few pair of squirrels. Wife won't let me harvest the Doves or Squirrels!

I like em too and, if I start hunting, it won't be mourning doves

15meter
08-08-2018, 10:45 PM
If you've got a thick wallet, look up Argentina dove hunting. A buddy has done it twice. In four of five days you can shoot thousands of doves. You can shoot until you can't lift the gun anymore and the flocks just keep coming.

Best story he told was on the flight down a guy that was going to the same ranch for dove hunting announced
"I don't touch shells". My buddy thought he was a wack job until he watched the guy shooting a very fine double. Every time he opened it to eject the empties, a kid was standing to load two fresh rounds into the chambers for him.

Nice to have money. It was a 28 gauge, so he was paying a premium on the ammo as well as having his own personal loaders.

Chad5005
08-09-2018, 12:21 AM
as a kid we always hunted over brown top millet in Alabama then after moving to Florida we hunted in orange groves,havent been dove hunting since the wife and I moved to Georgia,but hope to go on a few this year

Walks
08-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Growing up we went down to the Colorado River every LABOR DAY to hunt dove. Started when I was 12 yrs old(1966). Did it every year until about 1990.
It started to turn into a drunken party on the river with bums wandering around blasting at anything. Drunk girls in ski boats.
A real shame.
Haven't Hunted Dove since. Just Pheasants.

Texas by God
08-09-2018, 07:28 AM
I'd better get out some claybirds and get in some much needed practice.

mold maker
08-09-2018, 07:45 AM
As a teen, we hunted an old farm and at times you didn't have to aim. The doves were so thick all you needed was to point skyward and squeeze.

lightman
08-09-2018, 08:53 AM
It looks like we caught a much needed rain last night and this morning. Now for for some sunshine and come on Doves!

Boz330
08-09-2018, 09:49 AM
For several years I would get on a hunt near Lexington KY. It was always good fun but one year we hit the jackpot and took 102 doves in about 2-1/2hrs. At 5:00 we had to report to the main house for drinks and Hour devours. This farm has been in the same family since the 1850s as well as the house in the picture.

Bob

lightman
08-09-2018, 12:19 PM
For several years I would get on a hunt near Lexington KY. It was always good fun but one year we hit the jackpot and took 102 doves in about 2-1/2hrs. At 5:00 we had to report to the main house for drinks and Hour devours. This farm has been in the same family since the 1850s as well as the house in the picture.

Bob

Good times for sure! We usually have a few of my friends daughters or wives, some children including a Grandson or Daughter, and several adults. We make it a family friendly deal. Most everyone of age drinks after we are through shooting but no one gets loud or obnoxious. Most of the hunters that can shoot get their limit and everyone gets some shots. We start the afternoon before by going to shoot clay targets then retire back to my house for drinks and burgers. After the hunt we have a cookout on my back porch. A few times some of the guys want to hunt the next day or even the day after that. I'm ready!