PDA

View Full Version : Warning Warning Warning

DCP
07-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Ok I have to vent

Been married almost 35 years

I have most of my sharping equipment in a clear plastic tote. The wife put it someplace. It has my leather strap in it. Today I found my work sharp Ken Onion with one belt. All other belts are missing. We looked for the tote for three days now. The belts are in an envelope that is missing. She says maybe there in the tote

She has been hiding things for 34 yrs.

Now if I could just find my Ruger single six 22 mag cylinder

Hickory
07-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't ever let your wife clean your garage, workshop or loading room, especially when you're not there.
She'll throw away everything that "SHE" thinks is no good or worthless. Don't ask me how I know this.

Tripplebeards
07-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Are you married to my mother? Lol. I tripped over totes for for the first 20 years of my life. Then I moved out. Her garage and my old bedroom are full of them.

The best use I've found for them besides filling with water for expansion tests. Is using them for sledding if you have a big enough one. You don't even need snow! A good steep grassy slope will do.

redhawk0
07-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Ha...a few weeks ago my wife was in my barn with me. I was stacking lead ingots at the time. She said "so that's where you keep all that stuff". I promptly informed her that if I should die...to not just give it away...that there was a few thousand dollars in lead out there. I could see she was completely shocked at the value of the "junk" in my barn. I know when that time comes it won't matter to me what she does with it...but if she can get a good pay off for selling it...that's all the better.

Its hard to teach her that there is value in some of the "junk" that I have. But then again...I suppose it goes both ways with some of her "junk" too.

redhawk

Rcmaveric
07-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Oddly enough i always thought my wife would be the cleaner and organizer freak. Nope i am. She will cram random things in places about as bad a 3year old. Ever thing has to have home, i hate searching. I will even label things so i know whats in the drawer.

Minerat
07-06-2018, 05:45 PM
DCP,

You know it will be in the last place you look. :kidding:

I found a pair of shoes last week that I bought 2 pair of 10 years ago that my wife stored for me so when the first pair wore out I would have a second. Well she did a good job like Christmas in July, but I'll keep her around.

gpidaho
07-06-2018, 05:59 PM
redhawkO; I'm just terrible at saving money but stock pilling "Junk" comes naturally. As I have no wife, I have instructed my daughter in the use of our Swapping and Selling threads here @ Boolits so when the time comes she will be able to get the junk to a new home where it will be appreciated and score a few dollars to boot. "Stay Tuned" LOL Gp

labradigger1
07-06-2018, 06:06 PM
I feel for you. Mine does that too. If we did that to them hoo boy.
Fact is, I don’t care what she has or what she does with it. Just wish she’d leave mine alone.

sureYnot
07-06-2018, 06:07 PM
You can't train 'em to leave your stuff alone. And you can't train 'em to put it where it goes. But you can train 'em to chuck all your stuff in one spot. I trained mine to pile it on my side of the bed. I have a pretty good success rate. More than half the items she swipes, end up there. No training is flawless. Some of you may do better. Experiment a little.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jsizemore
07-06-2018, 06:18 PM
I bet if the replacement comes out of her money the problem would go away.

JimB..
07-06-2018, 06:34 PM
I’ve taken to locking my tool chest when I travel for work. The tools she needs are hanging on the wall, but when she misplaces one, or it’s just not handy, she’ll dig into mine. I don’t care if she uses her screwdriver to pry open a can of paint, or her monkey wrench to bang the daylights out of something, but please stay out of my gunsmithing or woodworking screwdrivers and don’t even think about what you might do with a torque wrench. What goes missing most, tape measures, I’m up to 5 or 6 on her wall, but still she grabs the one from the top drawer of my chest.

DCP
07-06-2018, 06:41 PM
The 1st month we were married I am working on a broken coffee maker on the kitchen table. I needed a Philips screwdriver. I went downstairs for 3 minutes. I came back upstairs and the coffee makers is gone. Screws and small parts are in three cups in the kitchen cabinets and the coffee maker in a box put away

OldBearHair
07-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Most of our 64 years together worked like this. Should the need come to dismantle something with intricate pieces laid out in order on one end of the kitchen table protected with butcher paper, they were never touched by her. Two years ago she lost her electrolytes and memory from being dosed with diuretics. I was assured that she would get back to where she was before but it would take a long time. Now she doesn't quite remember where something belongs and puts it away anyway. I spend a lot of time just looking for things that are presently needed, mostly cooking utensils. At present I am missing a pair of dress shoes and who knows what else. She is beginning to argue a little bit with me and I can tell she is getting better.
I told my two sons that when we pass to our rewards to to put a roll-off dumpster in the yard and let the girls clean out the shop and the men clean out the house and they would get finished sooner. Of course that would never happen, both boys have learned most of my hobby skills and they need the tools, reloading equipment, etc. Just finished a knife making class for two friends three to four hours each time on Saturday morning at no charge. Some of their (not there)lol friends are finding out and wanting to come to knife making class , but now it will not be free.

Hickory
07-06-2018, 06:55 PM
The 1st month we were married I am working on a broken coffee maker on the kitchen table. I needed a Philips screwdriver. I went downstairs for 3 minutes. I came back upstairs and the coffee makers is gone. Screws and small parts are in three cups in the kitchen cabinets and the coffee maker in a box put away

Thats almost like what happened to my brother when we were kids.
He got a rabbit from the neighbor and on the second or third day he took it out of the hutch to let him hop around the yard. He went to get some pellets for the bunny to eat. He came out of the shed with a contianer of feed the bunny were gone. He asked me where it went and I pointed up into the sky where a hawk was flying off with his bunny in tow.

am44mag
07-06-2018, 06:59 PM

That's what we call a warning sign. :p

I'm a firm believer that everyone should have their own personal space where NO ONE touches your stuff.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-06-2018, 07:05 PM
What is there in a women's DNA that makes them hate to see a gun magazine on a coffee table more than on day? My sweetheart of 60 years is a house cleaning wonder. Once, a few years ago she was cleaning with the vacuum and decided, without asking me, to clean the screen on my computer's CRT. The next time I turned it on the screen was various shades of purple. Fortunately our daughter had a spare.

merlin101
07-06-2018, 07:27 PM
My wife recently decided she'd toss out some "empty" boxes from my gun room, I still can't find that new AR lower receiver!
Everything has a place and everything should be in it's place, unfortunately that place is wherever is handy and the thing will fit. Never is anything in the same place twice, after 42 years I've become used to it.

RogerDat
07-06-2018, 07:31 PM
What I don't understand (and she has yet to explain) why is it that my reloading manual, a scratch pad with pencil and laptop are "making a mess" of the living room. Her 5 magazines, 4 recipe printed from the internet, kindle, two purses, gym bag, extra shoes, lotion, a tote of dance stuff can take up permanent residency and that isn't a problem?

I have 3 full length shovels and 2 shorter spades. All purchased with me grumbling if you put it where it can't be found and don't know where that is then it doesn't matter that we own one we don't have one! In this same spirit Harbor Freight free tape measures are all that stands between my good Lufkin and oblivion.

I think we could well go in the books with a world record for storing batteries in the most possible locations per sq. ft. of house. One plastic bin, they would all fit in that one plastic bin, then I wouldn't have to go buy more while in a drawer with kitchen towels a half pack of them goes bad.

Stuff of mine goes downstairs in a storage room, in the guest bedroom closet, in the garage, or on the basement loading bench or in that general area. Most of the time in plastic grocery bags so I can't see what is in there. At one time we had a bin in the laundry room, if it was mine and she wanted to move it then it went in that bin. Darn near broke my neck tripping over it when she put it in front of the side door of the garage while straightening the laundry room!

I explained about the lead being worth money so don't just trash it or take it to the scrap yard if I die. Her response? Well if it is worth money why don't you sell it now? Frankly it is probably a good thing the dog can bark or they would probably starve in whatever closet or drawer she stashed them in. It is the eternal struggle between organized and neat. I want it where I think it belongs (organized) she just wants it out of sight (neat).

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-06-2018, 07:49 PM
As a single guy, all I can do is laugh at all the comments in this thread.

rking22
07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
How many clones of my wife are out there anyway? Sounds like everyone is married to one!

NyFirefighter357
07-06-2018, 08:44 PM
My wife knows not to toss any of my stuff out but she does make random boxes of my stuff. Mostly cardboard boxes then she puts them in random places, unmarked. I recently found several boxes while cleaning down stairs. She also knows my stuff has value and somethings are not to be sold.

GhostHawk
07-06-2018, 08:51 PM
My wife loves to walk around picking up random stuff and putting it in a box which gets stashed someplace.

No rhyme or reason to it, no pattern, there is just no telling.

She is forbidden to enter the reloading casting room without me present.

She is a compulsive cleaner, and I have seen her go through the house getting one room 1/3 to half done then walk into another room for something and carry on in there. Anything left anywhere any any of 4-5 rooms could end up anywhere. And no way of telling where to start looking.

So I just plain told her. Next time you walk off with something of mine, and it disappears. Instead of tearing my hair out in frustration. I am just going to get a hammer and start smashing prettys.

Has not stopped it 100% but it toned it way way down.

retread
07-06-2018, 08:53 PM
I built a shop about 40 feet from my house. My wife knows not to mess with anything in that building. The house is her domain and I just alter or repair as directed. Leave something out in her kitchen and there is he!! to pay. I have my office in the house and I can do with that as I want but the rest is hers! Works for us but I still lose stuff in the shop and can't blame it on anyone but myself. Yes, Christmas can come any time of the year out in the shop!

lightman
07-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Ok I have to vent

I have most of my sharping equipment in a clear plastic tote. The wife put it someplace. It has my leather strap in it. Today I found my work sharp Ken Onion with one belt. All other belts are missing. We looked for the tote for three days now. The belts are in an envelope that is missing. She says maybe there in the tote

You're not alone. Mine will move my stuff and when I ask, "I haven't seen it", is her stock answer. When I find it I'll say something like "I know I would have never put it there". I just get that look! Womens!!!

Geezer in NH
07-06-2018, 09:04 PM
47 years I have been married to the same woman. After she had a child she became OCD the disease all of those who do not have it suffer.

I fight back touch our stuff and we touch yours. They are nuts, [non medical] have them get help from their doctor there is some cure or relief. They have know idea what they are doing by the way.

Called tough love by her DR. It is a controllable situation don't control it together and bad stuff can happen up to suicide. We married for better or worse, working with it is the way to go.

She starts in now I move the dresser drawers around, she gets it. Better than arguing about it.

375supermag
07-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Hi...
I don't understand any of this.
My wife knows not to mess with anything in the house that belongs to me.
95% of what I have in the house is in my den. I do all the cleaning in that room. At any given time, I might have a half dozen books on the desk that I am studying. They are always where I leave them and if they were left open, they stay that way.
She never touches any of my gun related stuff and she may never have stepped inside my reloading/hobby room since we built it in 2000 or so.
She does have a bad habit of messing with stuff in the garage...mostly rakes, shovels, etc. She can't seem to ever find a way to put them back where they belong.
Unfortunately, my son has the same problem.

MaryB
07-06-2018, 09:56 PM

I stayed single... now where did I put that AR buffer and spring... searched for a month, gave up and bought a new one. I was digging in the gun parts in the safe and it was in a little tote with AK-47 slings... Now I won't have to buy that for the AR I am currently building LOL

samari46
07-06-2018, 11:05 PM
My wife of 34 years is the queen of rubbermaid totes. Had so many she ended up renting space to keep them in. One year cleaned out the garage. She and her niece just about filled it up so a few years later I told her the totes have to go and that is when she did the renting thing. Must have been at least 35 of the darn things. Now they are scattered all over the house except for the garage. The ones in the garage were covered in dust and other stuff. The plastic bags she had got shredded by mice (think semi rural area) Don't know how many of the huge trash cans over a period of time I filled up. I have two totes. One is for ground corn cob media and the other is crushed walnut media. Wish my local SIL would come and clear out his stuff in the garage. Maybe after I croak. Frank

Hickory
07-06-2018, 11:26 PM
How many clones of my wife are out there anyway? Sounds like everyone is married to one!

All women are the same, they all come with the same standard equipment and they perform pretty much the same.
When they are new, shinny (young) and racy you just have to have one. And more times than not they have a ticking sound in their computer, or a rod knocking and you need to get rid of them before you sign the contract. Sometimes you get lucky and everything runs smoothly, especially if you don't redline them. They'll last for many years without blowing up on you.

Biggin
07-07-2018, 01:51 AM
Me and my wife both have a bad habit of " putting things away " and not remembering where we put them. A few years ago we bought another gun safe to accommodate our growing gun collection. We found 22 handguns hidden in various places in our bedroom, several of which whe had forgotten that that we had bought!!! LOL!!!

Three44s
07-07-2018, 03:26 AM
Reading all this reminds me how lucky I am with my wife. Once in a while she will put something of mine away and I will ask her where it went and she will help me track it down but for the most part she leaves my scattered stuff alone and warns me in advance so I can clear it out. Yes she is an organizer but she is very respectful of my stuff.

She does lay claim to a few of my guns to the extent that they are still mine but just don’t sell those particular ones. My load room in the barn is strictly my space just like I can store my saddle and other tac k in her tack room but on her terms. Fair I would say.

I count myself lucky!

Three44s

smokeywolf
07-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Mrs. smokeywolf is the most patient, tolerant, thoughtful person I've ever known. With one exception, she is the perfect wife. She hates, abhors, detests, despises cleaning house. To make matters worse, I'm a pack-rat and our house, in spite of being a 4br/2ba house, is smaller than average for the typical suburban SoCal home. In addition to the house being too small for our stuff, the shop/garage which has not had a vehicle parked in it for nearly 20 years is nowhere near big enough for the machinery and tooling I have.

bedbugbilly
07-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Yea . . . the the worst thing is when YOU get yourself organized, YOU put your "treasures" so YOU know "exactly where they are" . . . . .and then you forget where you put them.

DCP
07-07-2018, 08:18 AM
DCP,

You know it will be in the last place you look. :kidding:

I found a pair of shoes last week that I bought 2 pair of 10 years ago that my wife stored for me so when the first pair wore out I would have a second. Well she did a good job like Christmas in July, but I'll keep her around.

Nope it was the first and last place we looked

Update:

I cant look for very long my back will cramp up
Soooooo

About 9 pm last night I hear oh for heavens sakes! I found it. (me) Where was is. (her) On the table in the back room. (me) That's where I told you it was. (her) I wasn't looking very good the 1st time I looked (me)You got to be kidding me. Now there not enough room here for what happens next but here is the real short version. (her) You're just never happy, are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last my Ken Onion belts weren't in the box

RED BEAR
07-07-2018, 08:54 AM
anything my wife moves she knows right where they are for ever .the things i will never see again are things i put somewhere so i wount loose them!

Tatume
07-07-2018, 08:57 AM
My wife moves things without knowing what they are. When I ask "Where is my gizmo?" she replies "I don't know. I don't know what a gizmo is."

mold maker
07-07-2018, 04:59 PM
I knew exactly where to find my hammer when I saw the mayonnaise :roll: on the workbench. That was self-inflicted. My wife of 54 years, no longer fixes my mess, but she expects me to keep it to a minimum.

km101
07-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Several years ago I was making handles for two knives i had made. I was using zebra wood scales and found that I was allergic to the dust! I swelled up like a toad and had to have shots and medication to get over the allergy. Then every time I went into my shop it would start again. My Dr. said that all the dust from grinding/sanding the zebra wood would have to be removed as my reaction was getting progressively worse.

My wife removed everything from the shop and cleaned my shop and contents thoroughly. After she put it back I did not find some of my tool, gun parts, etc. until we moved early this year and I had to pack up my shop to move. This was 6 years later! But I’m not gonna complain (at least where she can hear) as I could not have done it.

But if you have a choice don’t let her near your shop. You may never see some stuff again!

jonp
07-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Ok I have to vent

I'm still looking for a box of Maypo that disappeared 2yrs ago. I feel your pain

DCP
07-08-2018, 08:02 AM
I'm still looking for a box of Maypo that disappeared 2yrs ago. I feel your pain

You think someone ate it, don't you? Hope they enjoy it

LUBEDUDE
07-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Sorry, I can not relate with most of you guys. I was married for 35 years and never touched her stuff and she didn’t touch mine. We had a mutual respect for each other’s stuff and space.

Harter66
07-08-2018, 11:41 AM
I had an aquaintance many years ago that lived on a farm kind of out in the boonies . His Misses had bugged him about his stuff on/off but in particular his highschool car that had been tarped on the north side of the barn in the 2 side tractor shed for about 10 yr . The poly tarp had gotten shredded in a recent storm . A guy pulls up one day and asked her if the old car by the barn was for sale , at last her chance ! He made a low ball at $10k for a 27' Deusenburg complete save tires . Well she told him when he got off the mountain that his stuff was just fine where it was and that she thought maybe he should have a new building for the car and those 2 old motorcycles , 41&43 Harley's .

My Ms just works around stuff or gets a cake box , tote , or ammo can for it , and parks it on the house bench . I don't mess with her kitchen and laundry and she doesn't mess with my mess .

RogerDat
07-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Mutual Respect, lack of power struggles over territory, or having paid attention in kindergarten when told not to take little Jimmy's or Susie's crayons without asking can all make shared space run smoother. Otherwise it's gonna work like prison. You mess with my stuff and you may not enjoy what happens to you in the shower. Or maybe you will, scrubbing each others backs is one way to smooth ruffled feathers. :-D But....

I swear next time the plastic storage containers and bins I buy to sort stuff into end up all dumped into one bin so she can take the ones she empties after I sorted all the items is going to result in me giving the idea of a shanking in the exercise yard some consideration. In over 20 years that woman has never bought a bin or tote, she always takes the ones I buy. Most times after I use them of course.

Really though when you get right down to it I can't see how I can respect and live with anyone crazy enough to date men, or myself in particular.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-09-2018, 01:04 PM
SNIP...

Really though when you get right down to it I can't see how I can respect and live with anyone crazy enough to date men, or myself in particular.
I suspect you are paraphrasing 'ole Groucho, LOL...

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"
-Julius Henry (Groucho) Marx

trapper9260
07-09-2018, 03:57 PM

I find it laugh at also since I am single also .I see all the fun I am missing out on. I know it will be interested in time.

yeahbub
07-10-2018, 12:07 PM
I'm single, but I too have tribulations with those who have the "throw-it-away" madness. Sometimes it seems they would throw something away just because they haven't done it yet that day. Good things, useful things. Why did you throw it away? "Well, I didn't know what it was for, so I threw it away." Did you think to ask? Then the defensive excuse-making and no-talk begins. There's something definitely amiss in someone who self-justifies these boundary violations and seems unable to conceive that there are other people in the world who have legitimate needs, interests and pursuits. This is the very definition of progressive behavior. My mother's caretakers would come into the house and re-organize it like they were at home with zero communication as to where things were put until I started insisting on communicating where things were, which resulted in that deer-in-the-headlights look. It was as though I (their employer) wasn't actually real beyond a paycheck until I insisted on some communication. I'm not perfect either, but I try to make sure people know about things which will affect them.

An acquaintance once acquired a WW1 8mm commission rifle in excellent condition with attendant accoutrement which the trash guy told him had been left sticking out of a trash can at the curb on trash day. I wondered if someone was going to the range one day and stepped away for a moment while his wife was in the room. Turns out a WW1 vet had passed away and his family had no interest in history and resorted to the usual mindless solution of "Just throw it away. . . ." People are often oblivious without intending to be. What troubles me are those who would have it no other way - and want you to be, too.

blademasterii
07-10-2018, 07:18 PM
After my wife threw away a box left on the counter with a 400.00 phone in it that i had to pay for out of pocket, she is a lot less inclined to throw out anything that is not hers. I'm pretty sure my language and volume had nothing to do with that decision. She likes things "put away". I'm fine with put away. BUT PUT IT AWAY IN THE SAME PLACE EVERY 5^&*()(*& TIME. She does not have a key to my shop.

MrWolf
07-11-2018, 12:25 PM
I would constantly ask her "where she thought it belonged" every time she would just move something for no reason. 30 years together. Divorce in last stages, separated for 1 1/2 years now. So much easier with just me and my puppy (13 months old now).

yeahbub
07-11-2018, 12:25 PM
A friend of mine got married and some months later, he and his wife were in the living room, each reading a book. He said it got late, so she decided to turn in. He elected to read for a bit longer, so she closed her book, got up and when she left the room, she turned off the light. . . And was mystified why he was upset at being left in the dark. Twenty years on, they're still married and apparently doing well at it.

At a Marriage Encounter Weekend, the priest mentioned that life is often a struggle and many people are married to their chief persecutor, and the persecutor is often unaware of it.

ThomR
07-14-2018, 02:13 AM
I do my best to clean up any messes I make in the house, and my wife stays out of the garage.
The garage is my area and she does not go in there.

David2011
07-16-2018, 11:41 PM
A few decades ago while I was in college and still living with my parents I was building a street rod, a 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan. Mom decided to clean up my walled off, isolated, dedicated side of the garage while I was at work. A 5 gallon can of lacquer thinner disappeared. "Oh, we didn't see anything like that. We didn't move it." Two years later when I was getting something out of the attic in their part of the garage I found that can of thinner. "Oh, we didn't put it there." Right. It must have been the faerie wings.

My favorite silk Hawaiian shirt? MIA. "Oh, I thought it looked faded so I threw it out."

My better half rarely messes with my stuff and I show her the same courtesy. She has no interest in entering my part of the shop. I used her art studio recently to have enough room to fully assemble a 9' span model airplane I'm building but I still didn't mess with her stuff; just set it on a 3'x6' drafting table.

Jeffrey
07-17-2018, 05:56 AM
This thread brings up a lot of not so good memories. I sometimes wish I had dumped her early in our relationship after she threw away my camouflage (hunting) clothes because "You hadn't used it in six months". I had to explain to her in not so quiet tones about hunting seasons and when they occur. Her bouts of 'throwaway-itis' have been drastically reduced since she put on the burn pit a sofa I was giving to a friend. She was drunk at the time. My (empty) threat to kill her dog for that brought police. ("YOU ARE DESTROYING SOMETHING I VALUE, I AM DESTROYING SOMETHING YOU VALUE") It has been not so bad since then. Her activity in my shop is restricted to vacuuming the floor. (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING! DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING!) Still, there are times I wish I had been born ***** so as to not have to put up with a woman's BS as a condition for physical contact. As for the guys that '... married their best friend (opposite sex) ..." CONGRATU-FREAKING-LATIONS. I'm happy for you. Really.