PDA

View Full Version : Master & apprentice

GOPHER SLAYER
07-05-2018, 04:24 PM
I watched a TV show last night with the above title. It was on the History channel. What a joke. The idea of the program was to have an apprentice compete against a master gun smith. The project they chose to have them work on was a Colt SA. The moderator started by saying that the pistol was chambered for the 45 Colt cartridge and since the round was known to be unreliable at times we want you to convert the pistol to fire the much more reliable 45ACP and you have 45 minutes to complete the job. There was another word the man used to denigrate the Colt round but I can't remember what it was. The only equipment they had to work with was a drill press equipped with what looked like an XY table and of course hand tools. When the mod said start they each grabbed their pistol and started to work. The apprentice didn't know how to take the cylinder out and started to unscrew the grip frame. Someone must have stopped him but you didn't see it. Once he had the cylinder out he began to mill the back of the cylinder to allow room for the cartridge clips which they also had to make. His next step was reaming the cylinder for the 45 ACP. All the above happened within the 45 minute limit and they were ordered to stop work. Then came the firing test. Of course they had rigged what looked like an outdoor toilet with explosives. The master fired his 6 rounds and nothing happened. The apprentice began firing and on his second shot the explosives went off and to much cheering the young man was declared the winner. I wanted to barff.

coloraydo
07-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Yep, made a comment to the better half after the show, don't think that show is going to be around too long. Way too much induced drama, but then again, that might be what today's crowd is looking for. Me, not so much.

Herb in Pa
07-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Not a show that I will be watching again...…………...

FISH4BUGS
07-05-2018, 04:48 PM
This is a perfect example of why I murdered my TV 25 years ago.
It took a full 32 round magazine dump from a Smith 76 and finished it off with a 20 ga just to make sure.
What a liberating feeling!

mold maker
07-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Made for TV shows, as well as "History" written in books are both written by folks not necessarily knowledgeable on the subject. Several of the made for TV gun related shows were written by the same so-called expert.
The facts presented were a misunderstanding of former writings, obviously edited by someone with even less knowledge.
My family often asks, "Why do you watch if all you do is find fault"? My answer is that a little questioning of someone that knows the subject would keep them from looking foolish. But then most of the public wouldn't know the dif.
There is even the possibility that the errors fit an agenda, and aren't intended to inform with facts.

country gent
07-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Way more errors than you think. on a single action revolver the acp dosnt need or use "clips" double action do for extraction purposes. the rod ejector on the single action does fine by itself. The cartridge is set to headspace and seat on the case mouth so the "clip" again is not needed. The biggest joke is with 2 round, half moon or full moon clops the cylinder would need to be removed to load them

abunaitoo
07-05-2018, 05:25 PM
I thought it was rubbish.

dragon813gt
07-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Sounds a lot like “Forged in Fire”. The manufactured drama is infuriating. Instead of showing them actually making the knives, which is the most interesting part, they spend to much time on the hosts and the “testing” at the end. The show is a complete joke.

frkelly74
07-05-2018, 06:31 PM
I like Forged in Fire. It actually shows people who have some skill at what they are doing. I did not like Master Vs Apprentice because The people involved did not seem to know what they were doing. I stopped watching when in the first segment they were shooting at 55 gal drums as if hitting them was really an act of superior skill. And who needs all the drama, one guy cried. Hogwash!

Finster101
07-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Lots of critters have been ended by that unreliable cartridge.

metricmonkeywrench
07-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Fan of Forged in fire, M&A with some intrest, concur that the fake drama editing was a bit overhanded. Hopefully they get the correct feedback and adjust accordingly.

I did have to take into account for what it's worth the target audience with no concept of the scope of what is being done. If they made it technical half of the viewing public would be lost as soon as the work begins, it could be in the realm of an AGI armorers video for excitement. Shades of Bob Ross Joy of Painting anyone? Great work but a snooze fest to get there.

Will give it a chance or two more to see if it gets better.

Hickory
07-05-2018, 06:40 PM
The only thing that proved to be unreliable was the mainspring that would break from time to time.
That is why Ruger used a coil mainspring in their revolvers.

nagantguy
07-05-2018, 06:40 PM
This is a perfect example of why I murdered my TV 25 years ago.
It took a full 32 round magazine dump from a Smith 76 and finished it off with a 20 ga just to make sure.
What a liberating feeling!

A man after my own heart! Been almost 10 years; my daughters grades went up; we all got in better shape; read 100s of books a year; learned to do things like cast boolits, work leather, save seeds; and sit on the back deck and talk with family friends and neighbors!

RED BEAR
07-05-2018, 08:20 PM
when the history channel can't even get history right i have little interest in watching anything else thats on it. being a bit of a history buff you can't believe the mistakes they make. and it wouldn't take much research to correct them.

lightman
07-06-2018, 06:54 AM
They lost me when they declared the 45 Colt unreliable. I could not stand to watch them butcher on a SA.

JimB..
07-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Huh, for this “conversion” wouldn’t you need to bore out the cylinder and create inserts of the right length?

bedbugbilly
07-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Darn . . . now I'm going to have t get rid of my 45 Colt SAA and buy one of those new fangled semi-automatic 45 ACPs . . . . .

GhostHawk
07-06-2018, 08:57 AM
We have been watching almost all british TV.

TV made over here in the USA is for the most part pure horse apples.

Currently on Hulu
Scott & Bailey, New Tricks, DCI Banks, Robin Hood.

On Netflix
We are fans of Criminal Minds but feel like it is slipping.
Sniffer (bit off the wall, but interesting)
The Almighty Johnsons (Light, not sure how long we'll stick with it)
Better Call Saul (Spinoff from breaking bad)
Republic of Doyle (On the lighter side, but not bad)

Anything from Masterpiece theater.

Thumbcocker
07-06-2018, 09:42 AM
I avoid such shows because Mrs. Thumbcocker gets annoyed when I yell at the television.

fast ronnie
07-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Darn . . . now I'm going to have t get rid of my 45 Colt SAA and buy one of those new fangled semi-automatic 45 ACPs . . . . .

There is an old joke about why beer is better than women and it goes something like "a beer doesn't get jealous of another beer", "it is OK to have more than one," etc :brokenima-----------

BrassMagnet
07-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Too young for the Single Action Army.

Too poor to afford one.

I'm just stuck in 1911.

It's a Badge! I got it with a 1911.