PDA

View Full Version : REX Powders and CB's

scrapcan
11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I have been using REX #1 and #2 for 12guage loads and was wondering if anyone has used it in CB rifle loads. It is very close in burn rate and pressures to Red Dot. Looks like # 1 is faster and #2 is a littel slower, not sure though. Help on relative burn rates and presuures would be appreciated also.

There is pistol data, albeit limited, for several common cartridges. But nothing for CB in rifles.

Thanks in advance.

Buckshot
11-29-2005, 12:50 AM
............I saw that stuff in the Graf & Sons catalog. Last year they had several other numbers, too. Something of the burn rate of Red Dot would be usefull to a degree in rifles. Can't remember if it was Marshall or Harris that wrote of, "The Load". That being 13.0grs of Red Dot in standard full power type rifle cartridges, like the 30-06 and 8x57, etc.

A couple warnings about heavy boolits and smaller cases were included :D

BTW, I bought a quantity of the Nobel Tubal 2000. I call it T2K as the other is a mite wordy. SOunded like 4198 speed in the decription. Tried it out in 4 rifles with a few different boolits and load for load with H4198. Almost all were close and a few were within a couple FPS.

...............Buckshot

scrapcan
11-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Buckshot,

Graff is where I saw it first. Ithought great just what we need is another powder with limited reload data. I then found the powder at a gunshop not to far from home at a price that I could not pass up ($14.00 for 1kg can). Thought what the heck no shipping and it may make a nice july 4th inferno if all else fails. that was 3 years ago and about 3-4000 rounds of 12 guage ago. makes it much more fun when you have so little in the reloads, also just started making shot this past summer.

The powder is now in the $18-20 per cn price range. Still not bad but getting up there. I just thought hey maybe I am not utilizing this powder as much as one could.

Where did you buy the the Nobel powder? I have been watching several of the surplus powder dealers and would like to try some powder, but hate the thought of the hazmat charges and not sure I can get anyone else to by some powder to share that cost.

I think I will try some of the Rex (hungarian) powders in the cast rifle loads, in the spirit of Mr. harris and his "load" of red dot.

thanks

Doughty
11-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I just heard about this powder from some of the local trap shooting guys. Tried some in .45 Colt and like it. Bought some from the trap club @ $20.00 a can (I think they're 2.2 lbs. Isn't that a kilo?). Intial test look good in the pistol aqnd rifle. As time permits I plan to try in .45-70, .30-30 and .33 Krag.
I think the Red Dot comparison is pretty close.

Buckshot
11-30-2005, 03:40 AM
...........Manleyjt, the Nobel was from Graf's also. I think it was $61/8lb jug. Good stuff.

...............Buckshot