PDA

View Full Version : OK, experimenting time......

Bad Karma
09-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I have a bunch of fired 50BMG primers (from my BMG brass) and I was looking at the size of these guys and thought I'd mic one. The mic .310". Soooo I tried one as a gas check. It seated but it deformed the boolit since the walls are so much taller than a standard gas check.

I measured a large rifle primer...It's a bit small for a .224" gas check but that doesn't mean it cant be modified to be one.

Anyone else fiddle with this idea?

I'm going to buy a swaging die set from CH4D this Christmas for myself. If I get the 30 caliber die I think the BMG primers would make great jackets for a half jacketed .30 carbine boolit.:lovebooli

mtnman31
09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like an idea with some merit and potential. The primers are already semi formed maybe a simple swaging set up to form them into a useable check or small caliber jacket.

If you can get it to work, something to consider would be the availability of the spent primers. Do you shoot enough 50BMG or have access to surplus brass in quanitites that would make it worth your efforts to use them for jackets or checks?

copdills
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
good idea waste not want not

Meatco1
09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Interesting thought, but what material are the primers made of?

I've been tossing them for 40+ years, but if I can use them, sure would be nice!!

Richard

deltaenterprizes
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Primers are brass and should work fine for gas checks except the plated ones the plating will be hard on the barrel,I think it is nickle.