PDA

View Full Version : Why isn’t there a forum for cast bullet competition/accuracy?

catboat
06-30-2018, 11:15 AM
This sight has many forums. None are dedicated to cast bullet competition. (benchrest equips/rifles/offhand/ benchrest scores or group size).

Yes , I am aware of the cast bullet association and their website. Why not a little taste of it over here on this site?

I would like to read about accuracy loads, cartridges used, bullets used, accuracy tidbits, scopes used, barrels/twists, and results ( score and or groups) regarding factory, custom and military guns - in one arena. Basis: accuracy.

We all read/ visit multiple websites. Why not overlap and include, versus ignore an enjoyable and challenging aspect of cast bullet shooting?

I vote to start a “ competition/ accuracy” forum on this site.

HangFireW8
06-30-2018, 02:47 PM
This is the anti-cba site. Or at least it was. Some infiltration has occurred, with cba'ers glibly telling newbies how to get it done with benchrest dies and benchrest barrels with benchrest Chambers.

There was, IIRC, some postal matches here.

Do what you want, but I got into casting in order to better enjoy, and better utilize, all of my non-benchrest, non-long range, non-varmint equipment. I've spent enough time squeezing groups. I want to enjoy shooting more and tweaking less.

JMax
06-30-2018, 03:51 PM
I agree with the HangFire, if I can shoot 2-4” 100 yard groups with iron sights and my 70 year old eyes I am a happy shooter.

Dusty Bannister
06-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Not anti-CBA as shown by the flag add at the bottom of the page. Just a different focus. It is good for both forums to offer a wide range of interests, but not necessarily be duplicated.

GARD72977
06-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Most of my interest in cast rifle loading is accuracy and cost savings. I'm not interested in benchrest but I shoot a lot off hand. I would like to see a place for cast accuracy and competition

Minerat
06-30-2018, 05:45 PM
I'm am a member at both sites just prefer Cast Boolits over Cast bullets and they take it as an insult if I slip. I have learned a lot over there, just not as active since I don't shoot single shots and have no interest in competition. Makes no difference to me if a forum is started for cast boolit competition area. Contact NO 1 and try to persuade him.

razorfish
06-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Ugh, I saw “competition” and thought, “good idea”. Then I continued reading and saw bench rest, barrel twist and group size... Yawn. :)

I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. To me, that’s competition. I doze off chatting with the grey beards at the bench rest matches. Luckily they take a shot every 30 minutes to wake me up. :)

There are others that shoot Cowboy Action, then there’s the Bianchi Cup Guys, the trap shooters, the skeet folks, air gun guys and many more.

Point is, competition in the shooting sports means different things to every person. I suppose you could call it accuracy.

catboat
06-30-2018, 07:07 PM
I’d be ok with a forum devoted to “ cast bullet accuracy.”

If you don’t want to read about it, don’t click it.

Outpost75
06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
I have no interest in shooting matches with specialized rifles or handguns having no practical purpose.

I'm fine with getting the best performance from military surplus and ordinary hunting rifles, service, collectible, outdoor packing and cowboy guns. I never saw much point in spending thousands of dollars to build rule beater guns with no practical use. Sort of a luxury like a top fuel dragster you can't drive on the street. Way beyond a retired or working guy's means...

sigep1764
06-30-2018, 08:31 PM
I tend to agree with Outpost on most of this. I would very much like to do 25, 50, 75, 100 yard online matches with factory sporting rifles, 22's, pistols, revolvers, etc, but I would very much like to keep it informal and in an "On your Honor" basis. Have them verified by your Range Officer for entry into the comp. We don't have to do "take a shot every 10 min" comps, but define it how we see fit. Such as cast boolit rifle, 25 yards, under 2000fps but over 1500, centerfire, 10 shot group fired inside 90 sec. Or standing pistol, 10 shots 60 sec, 10 yards, must cycle the action loads. Or even team trials where each member of the team has to fire one round of a 5 round group with the same rifle or pistol. Point is, you could make the comp anything you wanted, we don't have to follow the traditional rules or use high dollar guns in the comps. Other comps can be set up to use the high dollar guns and 10 minute shot intervals if they wanted in another comp. I know I wouldn't be a part of those, the most expensive gun that wasn't gifted that I actually paid for was less than 600 bucks. Some might see that as expensive like I do, some see that as a weekly budget for a gun.

303Guy
07-01-2018, 01:34 AM
How about having an informal cast boolit competition thread?

I kinda like the idea of a sub-forum but just a thread will do. Not interested in high tech or who can shoot better but rather in how y'all are doing, what with and how. Keep it informal and fun. An opportunity to show off a bit too. Or lament maybe. :oops: Give me a motivation to get out to the range and see if I can do it too. A place to see your all's results.

I have one or two extra sporterized Lee Enfields that could be dedicated to plain cast target and paper patched too. Open sight and scoped. I'm leaning back toward open sights for some reason.

Anyway, here is one of my stranger sporterized rifles that is looking for a purpose in life.

https://s19.postimg.cc/6bb8dfnhv/1939_Lithgow_SMLE_Sporter_006.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/v4kse36i7/)

Then there is this one with a very good No4 barrel on a 1902 MLE action that once shot a near MOA group with cast. It too needs to see the light of day.

https://s19.postimg.cc/3l6hu1dmr/1902_LE_I_006.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

sigep1764
07-01-2018, 02:18 AM
I just want an excuse to stretch my legs with loading for me. I am an avid motorcyclist. I commute 4 out of 5 days on my bike. Im a better driver for it. I do it because others say it is impractical or I'm crazy. And I enjoy the hell out of it. Competition improves the breed. And honestly, I'm a better man with more skills because of challenge.

Traffer
07-01-2018, 05:28 AM
I just want an excuse to stretch my legs with loading for me. I am an avid motorcyclist. I commute 4 out of 5 days on my bike. Im a better driver for it. I do it because others say it is impractical or I'm crazy. And I enjoy the hell out of it. Competition improves the breed. And honestly, I'm a better man with more skills because of challenge.

The only thing I ever didn't like about commuting with a motorcycle was here in Wisconsin, except for maybe mid June to mid August, you catch cold a lot. lol

Traffer
07-01-2018, 05:29 AM

I kinda like the idea of a sub-forum but just a thread will do. Not interested in high tech or who can shoot better but rather in how y'all are doing, what with and how. Keep it informal and fun. An opportunity to show off a bit too. Or lament maybe. :oops: Give me a motivation to get out to the range and see if I can do it too. A place to see your all's results.

I have one or two extra sporterized Lee Enfields that could be dedicated to plain cast target and paper patched too. Open sight and scoped. I'm leaning back toward open sights for some reason.

Anyway, here is one of my stranger sporterized rifles that is looking for a purpose in life.

https://s19.postimg.cc/6bb8dfnhv/1939_Lithgow_SMLE_Sporter_006.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/v4kse36i7/)

Then there is this one with a very good No4 barrel on a 1902 MLE action that once shot a near MOA group with cast. It too needs to see the light of day.

That top one is very cool in my opinion. Thanks for showing it. Somebody had a great time sporterizing that thing.

randyrat
07-01-2018, 07:06 AM
I like competition shooting, no top dog here, but I try harder than heck at Bullseye. At my age 58 my body is my competitor also, he is always one step ahead of my shooting.
A twinge here, a new ache there, soar muscle, joint pain. I try to over come those body things that pop up and keep my accuracy. I only compete with 22 and 45 acp Bullseye for fun, that's enough frustration.

I got a new competitor last year sometime, my shooting hand wrist, hurts like heck. This new guy keeps up with me so far all this year, I think his first name is Arthur. I may just fool the fellow and learn to shoot left handed, also a new 9MM 1911 is in my dreams instead of 45acp may help a bit.

I think a thread talking about the successes , frustrations of competition would be good. A place to eat cheese with that WHINE.

mdi
07-01-2018, 11:04 AM
I don't see any problems here, no debate needed. If enough fellers want a "Competition with Boolits" sub forum, fine, I don't have to read it. Instead of an explanation or badmouthing another forum, just post an "I want one"...

BTW; commuting by motorcycle for several years in LA resulted in 2 totaled bikes, one SS collar bone fix, two emergency room visits, and one replaced faring. The "Challenge" was staying alive...

sigep1764
07-01-2018, 06:58 PM
LOL LA is a bit different than St Louis!!!

303Guy
07-02-2018, 12:05 AM
I don't see any problems here, no debate needed. If enough fellers want a "Competition with Boolits" sub forum, fine, I don't have to read it. Instead of an explanation or badmouthing another forum, just post an "I want one"...

BTW; commuting by motorcycle for several years in LA resulted in 2 totaled bikes, one SS collar bone fix, two emergency room visits, and one replaced faring. The "Challenge" was staying alive...
Aah yes, motorcycles. I rode one (or two) for several years. Gave up as I got older. They can be a bit risky. Just this morning there was a massive traffic hiccup on one of our motorways. Fella at work got past just after it happened and saw the poor guy on the road - he wasn't in one piece. The next fella from work saw a tarp covering the poor guy when he finally got that far. Bike meet garbage collection truck. It was all over the news too. Tragic. I guess I was lucky in my motorcycling days.

303Guy
07-02-2018, 12:10 AM
I like competition shooting, no top dog here, but I try harder than heck at Bullseye. At my age 58 my body is my competitor also, he is always one step ahead of my shooting.
A twinge here, a new ache there, soar muscle, joint pain. I try to over come those body things that pop up and keep my accuracy. I only compete with 22 and 45 acp Bullseye for fun, that's enough frustration.

I got a new competitor last year sometime, my shooting hand wrist, hurts like heck. This new guy keeps up with me so far all this year, I think his first name is Arthur. I may just fool the fellow and learn to shoot left handed, also a new 9MM 1911 is in my dreams instead of 45acp may help a bit.

I think a thread talking about the successes , frustrations of competition would be good. A place to eat cheese with that WHINE.
That mista Ritus fella? Yeah, I met him in my early forties. The good news is - he can be beaten. I got my hands and my knees back! But he's persistent. He's kinda got my elbows in the last year or two. I may not get them back fully this time round but I'm holding him off for just a while longer. (I'm also in denial :mrgreen: ).

I'd like to hear (and see) the success stories together with the frustrations.

303Guy
07-02-2018, 12:19 AM
That top one is very cool in my opinion. Thanks for showing it. Somebody had a great time sporterizing that thing.

I think so. It has such appeal to me. It shoulders beautifully and I can hold it quite steady. The bore had some rust but after cleaning up, the throat matches the unsized neck for paper patching with a tapered boolit I had already made for another gun. 206grs - that should make for full penetration of those tough paper targets. 8-)

I'm actually aiming to pass it on to my nephew in law and my great nephew (not his biological son). But I'd like to put to paper before they take it away. I'll still get to shoot it from time to time. It's a Lithgow BTW. The action is very good.

I have another nicely done sporter that would more likely be a better plain cast boolit shooter. It has a good bore.

https://s19.postimg.cc/p30l45uwz/1940_SHTLE_III_002.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

They might choose to take this one because it will be a better jacketed bullet shooter. We'll see which they choose.

catboat
07-05-2018, 12:58 PM
....Makes no difference to me if a forum is started for cast boolit competition area. Contact NO 1 and try to persuade him.

Forgive my ignorance. Who is “ No. 1”? Let’s get the “ cast bullet accuracy” forum started.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-05-2018, 05:14 PM
This sight has many forums. None are dedicated to cast bullet competition. (benchrest equips/rifles/offhand/ benchrest scores or group size).

Yes , I am aware of the cast bullet association and their website. Why not a little taste of it over here on this site?

I would like to read about accuracy loads, cartridges used, bullets used, accuracy tidbits, scopes used, barrels/twists, and results ( score and or groups) regarding factory, custom and military guns - in one arena. Basis: accuracy.

We all read/ visit multiple websites. Why not overlap and include, versus ignore an enjoyable and challenging aspect of cast bullet shooting?

I vote to start a “ competition/ accuracy” forum on this site.

I've been around this forum long enough to see many requests for new sections and/or sub-forums, most requests are unsuccessful. It's quite simple though, the "Powers that be" (whomever they are at the time), respond to action, as opposed to requests.

What I'm saying is, if I thought this was a stellar idea, which I don't, but if I did, I'd start posting Accuracy/competition threads in the "CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge" section. I'd start suggesting others to do the same, and would suggest those that do, to make the title of the thread start with Accuracy/Competition: ...then mention the caliber and gun in the title.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?45-CB-Loads-Your-Favorite-Cartridge

So I edited a title of one of my old threads in that forum, to give you a start.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232529-Accuracy-Competition-22-Bator-and-222rem-loading-success&p=2656133#post2656133

Then once that section is flooded with Accuracy/Competition threads, the "Powers that be" will quickly make a sub-forum for this new activity, quite likely without even being formally asked to do so.
That's my 2¢
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-05-2018, 05:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance. Who is “ No. 1”? Let’s get the “ cast bullet accuracy” forum started.

If you click on T.O.S. on the toolbar at the top of the page, you'll see the "Terms Of Service", listed at the end of that, is the website owner and the Server owner.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS

am44mag
07-05-2018, 06:14 PM

Like an online postal shoot sort of thing where we all use a pre-chosen (printable) target and shoot it at a set distance? I'd be in for that. Another forum I used to frequent used these targets for scoring, though they limited the caliber to .338. If need be, we could use a different target for big bores, and maybe have one for handguns too.

Green

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf

Black

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-BLACKa.pdf

Oh, and I'd be interested in pitting my Savage made No 4 Mk 1* against yours. It's a heck of a shooter. :D

303Guy
07-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Something like that sounds good to me. I'd suggest starting out very informal. Just show us the groups stating range and groups size. Load details and gun would be helpful I think, for those of us who would like to compare loads.

We could ask for a sticky thread.

LenH
07-06-2018, 08:16 AM
I am with randyrat on the bullseye thing, we shoot matches twice a month and I do it for fun and something to do. The only score I care about is my own.

I cast my own bullets for Bullseye for my .45 rounds. Most of the guys I shoot with think I am crazy for doing so but to me it is all part of the process.
I shoot with a great bunch of people and we talk about everything under the sun except the match and that suites me fine. No need to ruin a match
by talking it to death.

fast ronnie
07-06-2018, 12:12 PM
I shoot for myself and am overjoyed when I get a really nice group, especially with a piece that I have been having trouble with.

Like RandyRat I am told by my Doc that I have had a visit from that "arthur" guy, probably from cranking on mill and lathe handles for nearly 50 years.

I haven't let it stop me from shooting, but my hands can't seem to hold onto things unless I really pay attention. My mind is also getting to where it can't seem to hold on to people's names either.

I used to shoot in competition, but haven't in many years. I just like going to the range and seeing what I can do with some of the junk from my safe. It's also good talking to other like-minded people, kind of like this forum. (Great people here)

303Guy
07-07-2018, 01:40 AM
I want to see what other people are doing too. 'Specially with troublesome guns. Somehow they seem to be more fun, as challenging as they may be. I admit I also enjoy seeing really small groups that some folks are achieving.

So post those pictures please! 8-)

303Guy
07-07-2018, 01:52 AM
Oh, and I'd be interested in pitting my Savage made No 4 Mk 1* against yours. It's a heck of a shooter. :D
Well then, I had better get downstairs and load up some rounds. I have a Longbranch No4 Mk 1* five groove. Actually, I have mint Longbranch two groove. And a Fazakerley (I think) Mk 1 two groove. Yeah, three of the things and I've never taken one to a range! Mine are all 'sporterized', some better than others.

I haven't loaded up any ammo so I can't go to the range tomorrow. Actually, I need to do some casting first anyway. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.

ubetcha
07-07-2018, 07:41 AM
I compete in IHMSA silhouette matches and although every shooter has a classifacation based on their shooting ability, the only person I feel I'm competing against is me trying to beat my previous score. These matches are the bases of my reason to start reloading and cast my own boolits. I have thought about backing off of competeing but I think I would miss the structure of the rules and regulation and still have fun. As a fleeting thought, some one mentioned having an informal match such as a postal match where one can shoot that their own range at thir own pace and either post their targets or send them to someone for scoring. The prize I guess , could be just bragging rights. Just a thought

catboat
07-07-2018, 08:23 AM
I sent “ number 1” an email with a request to start an “ accuracy” forum on this website.

Haven’t received a response yet. Perhaps if others did the same to add support. Here is contact info to do so:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33573-No_1

Hope it happens. Should be some good reading, and picture viewing, and just fun.

RED BEAR
07-07-2018, 09:03 AM
i can't shoot good enough to contribute in any way but i wouldn't mind reading about those who can so why not.

richhodg66
07-07-2018, 10:54 AM
I like the idea. Lately, I have come to the realization that most of my shooting anymore is done with cast in (usually) various .30 caliber rifles at 100 yards. Sometimes from a bench, sometimes from various modified sitting positions on my front porch. I've been contemplating getting a more specialized ifle, some kind of heavy .308, and possibly giving the cast bench rest matches a try.

I don't routinely weigh individual bullets, experiment with different lubes, etc., might make me a better caster and shooter if I had a forcing function like competition to increase my attention to detail like that.

W.R.Buchanan
07-07-2018, 07:56 PM
I post accuracy threads all the time. I had one in the Casting for Shotguns Forum with a 2.5" 3 shot slug group shot at 50 yards,,, offhand..

I showed a .125" 5 shot group in the Airguns Forum.

I just put up a 1" 5 shot group from my Mini14 the other day and nobody including me saw that happening.

I see accuracy threads all the time. The competiton is not about who's a better shot, it's about who gets more comments on their shooting. I like it that way as I always get comments.

If you go over to Calguns you can see what happens when people don't think you're "all that."
My Mini14 thread started a war over there with the Mini Haters out in force. Matters not if they actually know what they are talking about, they express themselves anyway, and can get quite shippy about it.

I personally don't think we need any more "Forums." You can find plenty of related topics to show off your Shooting Results in places already here. I do it all the time.

Randy

catboat
07-07-2018, 09:47 PM
W.R.B.,

Sounds like a problem with calguns people. Not castboolits.com people. Sorry you had a bad experience. It is important to support and learn from each other.

I would like think that if you shot a 1” group with cast bullets, and posted it here, you would get an “atta boy” or questions about what you did to get such good results.

Hope you can see the benefits of sharing your experiences here.

Randy C
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM
I would love to see a competition cast post. I started casting again. I'm struggling a little with the basics right now. but I'm shooting good.
I have several rifles To practice with I shoot in the Tressel Valley Longshots In ND.

Larry Gibson
07-09-2018, 10:29 AM
I am for it. However there should be some easily used standards as to target used and number of shots. This will give the threads/posts a "standard" for accuracy comparison. Otherwise I see no need for another sub-forum.

Targets used would separate out the "accuracy" category of different firearms and sights used. The same target can be used for both score and groups. For rifles the standard 100 yard military rifle bullseye target for use with iron sights. The 600/100 reduced bullseye can be used for scoped rifles. Range should be 100 yards. Score or group should be 10 shots. Single shot handguns would fall under these guidelines also.

For hand gun the standard 25 yard pistol bullseye can be used for iron sights or handguns with optics. Again the target can be used for score or group. Range should be 25 or 50 yards. Ten shots for score or group.

Position used with either firearm should be posted. Picture of firearm used should be posted. Complete load detail should also be posted.

As stated having simple to follow guidelines will allow valid comparison of "accuracy.

Dusty Bannister
07-09-2018, 10:29 AM
The Cast Bullet Association has been running various competitions since 1977 so it is not really necessary to wait around for the forum owner to add another forum. There are formal competitions as well as the postal matches. Below is a list of the officers and directors. If you would locate the director for your state, perhaps they can answer any questions you have. It might also be that they can help you find local shooters that are involved in these matches and help you get started if that is your interest.

President:
John Alexander
3751 SW Cascade Vista Dr.
Redmond, OR 97756
(541)526-1424
email: John_Alexander@umit.maine.edu

Vice President:
Edward B. Camp
8016 Wayne Ave
Kansas City, MO 64131
(816)-333-7559
email: ecamp56961@AOL.com

Secretary:
Mitch Miglaccio
15907 80th Ave E
Puyallup, WA 98375-6882
(253)841 1218
email: yellowing@comcast.net

Treasurer:
Loren Barber
4995 Jamaca Ave N
Lake Elmo, MN 55042
(651)770-6887
email: loren.barber.jr@gmail.com

Publication Editor:
Glenn R. Latham
6465 Parfet St.
Arvada, CO 80004
(303)421-9237
email: grlatham@comcast.net
Contact Glenn for Fouling Shot Advertising Rates and availability and article contributions.

Director of Registered Competitions:
Ed Krasny
2811 Hampshire Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734)971-5077
email: edkrasny@comcast.net
Contact Ed for Benchrest Match information and questions.

Director of Membership:
David Reiss
4206 S. Elm Ave.
Santa Fe, TX 77517
(281)935-7610
email: chefreiss@gmail.com

Director of Military Competitions:
Andrew Sedivy
2629 S Cornelia St
Sioux City, IA 51106
712-898-6989
email: drewseabee@yahoo.com

Director of Postal Competitions:
Michael Kastning
Box 744
Elk Point, SD 57025
(605)761-0045
email: mkastning@thermobond.com
Contact Michael for Postal Match applications and information.

Director of Services:
David Reiss
4206 S. Elm Ave.
Santa Fe, TX 77517
(281)935-7610
Contact for: match regulations, rule book, targets; bylaws and CBA Merchandise.

Co-Webmaster:
David Reiss
4206 S. Elm Ave.
Santa Fe, Texas 77517
(281)935-7610
Contact for: Website questions, link exchange information and online advertising rates and availability.

Co-Webmaster:
Jeff Brown
Christchurch, New Zealand
email: info@beavergrease.co.nz
Contact for: Website questions.

Immediate Past President:
Dan L. Hudson
Iowa City, IA
(319)338-6176
email: dlnlhud@centutylink.net

Director of Region 1:
CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT, NS, PQ
Russell J Burchsted
115 Grove Ave.
Wilmington, MA 01887
(978)694-8909
email: rrbjr1994@verizon.net

Director of Region 2:
DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA, WV
Scott Lowther
42 Cool Glen Circle
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
(304)725-3374
email: scott@progressive-printing.com

Director of Region 3:
AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN
Bill Higgins
3004 Clover Hill Rd
Indian Trail, NC 28079
(704) 635-8121
email: whiggins@2kbill.net

Director of Region 4:
IL, IN, KY, MI, 0H, WI,ON
Stan Livingston
P.O. Box 412
Oquawka IL 61469
(309)371-9709
email: stan2350n@yahoo.com

Director of Region 5:
CO, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD,MB
Tom Acheson
2956 Mary St.
Maplewood, MN 55109
(651)770-3219
email: achesontom@hotmail.com

Director of Region 6:
AR, LA, OK, TX
Ivan Rogers
602 W. Cherokee Ave.
Stillwater, OK 74075
(405)714-8805
email: ivanrogers@hotmail.com

Director of Region 7:
AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY, AB, BC, SK, YT
Roger Ulrich
18828 181st Pl NE
Woodinville, WA 98077
(425)788-4715
email: quiltedgun@msn.com

Director of Region 8:
AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT
Bob Birmley
47 Pinon Ave.
Cimarron NM 87714
(575) 383-1022
email: lunker@q.com

Visit their home page and look at the match results. If that is your interest, quit waiting and jump in.

catboat
07-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Still, there there is no reason why there can’t be a forum on this site for accuracy and even informal competition ( or just showing off groups, with equipment and load discussion.

Why not? Hope the moderator and “number 1” see the value of it. Look at the number of hits this thread has generated. I believe an accuracy reporting forum on this website would be one of the most popular. Cast bullet shooters like to shoot. Why not give them a venue to show off their starting group or score, and see how they improve. The CBA charges for the postal shoots. Maybe some folks ( And I think it will be a good number of people) will shoot, and post their informal target results. As Larry Gibson posted, there would be a benefit to a shooter-supplied standard target if shooting for score. Doesn’t get much easier, or lower cost than that.

Hello “ number 1”, can you please make this happen? An accuracy forum please.

TCLouis
07-10-2018, 09:54 PM
There are a couple of guys here that I think used to shot a fun, but competitive match on Tuesdays.
Think they shot at burritos, or maybe that was the prize.
Something like that.
I shoot only against myself, so competitive shooting is not my main interest.
I have learned a lot here and have thoroughly enjoyed my years here as it now runs.

Of course there are threads that I never follow because they do not interest me, but is a simple finger stroke choice by the user.

No_1
07-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Still, there there is no reason why there can’t be a forum on this site for accuracy and even informal competition ( or just showing off groups, with equipment and load discussion.

Why not? Hope the moderator and “number 1” see the value of it. Look at the number of hits this thread has generated. I believe an accuracy reporting forum on this website would be one of the most popular. Cast bullet shooters like to shoot. Why not give them a venue to show off their starting group or score, and see how they improve. The CBA charges for the postal shoots. Maybe some folks ( And I think it will be a good number of people) will shoot, and post their informal target results. As Larry Gibson posted, there would be a benefit to a shooter-supplied standard target if shooting for score. Doesn’t get much easier, or lower cost than that.

Hello “ number 1”, can you please make this happen? An accuracy forum please.

We have -->"Get-Togethers, Competition and Results" (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results)<--. The oldest thread appears to have been created (05JAN14) by the original creator of this place (45NUT) and the latest thread (05JUl18) is a Postal Match titled oddly enough -->"Accuracy/competition: Postal shoot? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?363657-Accuracy-competition-Postal-shoot&p=4406284#post4406284)"<--.

It was buried as a double-sub-forum in "Our Town" which has limited its exposure. It is now much more visible as a sub-forum Of Guns & Shooting.

Robert

catboat
07-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Thanks. It’s a good start, but how about separating “ cast bullet accuracy” in a separate forum from the “ get togethers.” Seems like an odd mix as is. It’s two different trains of thoughts.

RogerDat
07-17-2018, 07:02 PM
I'm sort of inclined to wonder if having the "accuracy" shooting all stuck in its own forum will reduce the information on accurate loads and solutions to problem firearms in the more general forum on shotguns, mil-surp, wheel guns, favorite loads etc.

I guess I'm thinking that if one has to wade through what can be pretty technical and exotic posts on accuracy they won't get to the part about doing a pound cast and bullet seating and the powders that worked and didn't work in that Enfield or 30-06. Where a single thread from someone trying out a load for accuracy in a systematic way that is in a "regular" forum visited routinely by ordinary reloaders will get more readers and help more people. Those more detailed posts are good educational opportunities but a whole forum of them might discourage members from browsing there.

I think Jon B has a good idea. Do it using a convention in the thread titles and it will show clearly if there is membership desire to have discussions dedicated to that topic.

catboat
07-17-2018, 07:43 PM
Why do you think an dedicated “ accuracy forum” would be estoteric, and NOT full of posts of someone reporting the accuracy effects of their 1917 Enfield with different sizing diameters or powders, or various cast bullet designs?

Imagine the great resourceful stickies on such a forum? Pound cast methods, pillar bedding, case preparation etc. to name a few. Let’s try it and see what happens.

I see it just the opposite as you. I visit different forums, and get a tidbit here and there about accuracy, and wonder, “ Why can’t all this accuracy stuff be assembled in one area?”