PDA

View Full Version : Alloy on the way, Rotometals Sale

Mal Paso
06-28-2018, 09:23 PM
I asked for help finding a lead supplier and nvbirdman said Rotometals. I guess I haven't looked in a while because they had a better price than the mill. I missed the Father's Day Sale so when the Fourth of July Sale email came today I bought a pallet of alloy and a box of tin to sweeten it. 28,000 Boolits before I have to find more. LOL 250g are about 7 cents.

Anyway the discount is 10%, the code is "firework", and Thanks for the help!

rancher1913
06-28-2018, 10:26 PM
how many pounds are on a pallet?

Mal Paso
06-28-2018, 11:30 PM
how many pounds are on a pallet?

1,000 and I bought 30 lbs of tin to get the price down to $15 a pound with discount.

I admit I'm hooked, just trying to keep the costs down.

bangerjim
06-29-2018, 12:19 AM
Glad you were (sort of) able to replace what you lost in the CA fires!

Happy casting and shooting!

Bangerjim

Rcmaveric
06-29-2018, 02:38 AM
Good thing that will be freighted. I would feel bad yet highly amused (in a conflicted sadistic yet empathic kind of way), if the mail man had to carry 17 boxes of 60 of lead from his truck to your door. Good buy. Wish the wife would give me free reign with money to make a similar purchase.

Mal Paso
06-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Good thing that will be freighted. I would feel bad yet highly amused (in a conflicted sadistic yet empathic kind of way), if the mail man had to carry 17 boxes of 60 of lead from his truck to your door. Good buy. Wish the wife would give me free reign with money to make a similar purchase.

I share a community drop box 1/3 mile from the house where the mailbox is. Delivery to the door was never a possibility.

The county range is changing management again so berm mining is out. The casting pot has been empty for over a month and I wanted to fill it for a while. It took a while to overcome my Scotsman's desire for thrift as most of the lead I got in the past was scrap of some sort. It made sense when I had the time to process it but I'm back to work now and still cleaning up after the fire. I got the melted front end cut off the quad, got it running and new lights installed this week. A bit ugly but it will do for now. The projects are endless.

Mal Paso
07-02-2018, 07:59 PM
And because without pictures it didn't happen. :bigsmyl2:

fourbore
07-02-2018, 08:40 PM
I asked for help finding a lead supplier and nvbirdman said Rotometals. I guess I haven't looked in a while because they had a better price than the mill. I missed the Father's Day Sale so when the Fourth of July Sale email came today I bought a pallet of alloy and a box of tin to sweeten it. 28,000 Boolits before I have to find more. LOL 250g are about 7 cents.

Anyway the discount is 10%, the code is "firework", and Thanks for the help!

Basically, I just over paid by 10% today. :(

I guess an honest price for everyone would be too much to ask!

sigep1764
07-02-2018, 11:59 PM
How in the world do you alloy ingots that big??? Is your pot big enough or do you plan on cutting those ingots somehow?

Mal Paso
07-03-2018, 12:21 AM
How in the world do you alloy ingots that big??? Is your pot big enough or do you plan on cutting those ingots somehow?

The Ingots are 3-4% antimony and weigh over 30#. I have a 5 gal propane cylinder pot and a propane burner so I can melt it and add 1% tin, then pour 5 pound ingots for my pro melt pot.

sigep1764
07-03-2018, 12:56 AM
When I buy a house in the next couple years, I'm upping my game... too cool

RedDogForge
07-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Mal is that a RCBS pot? just starting out, got a lil lee with its analog but im thinking i'll need something along those lines...your thoughts on your pot regardless of maker?

sigep1764
07-03-2018, 07:07 PM
RedDog, check the vendor listing in the Swapping and Selling. Most are custom made smelting pots out of propane tanks. And most of us smelt and cast in two different pots. The casting pot has to stay clean so the smelting pot is where all the unrendered lead(dirty lead) gets melted down, fluxed, alloyed, and poured into ingots.

RedDogForge
07-03-2018, 07:17 PM
sig, ya right now im smelting using a small cast iron pot in my propane forge, (im a full time blacksmith and custom knife maker) after I do the new forge and kiln builds this fall i was going to see what was left over for a turkey fryer setup, my question was in reference to his casting pot.

Leadmelter
07-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Rotometals run their sales several times a year. Sign up for their news letter for update.
Leadmelter
MI

Mal Paso
07-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Mal is that a RCBS pot? just starting out, got a lil lee with its analog but im thinking i'll need something along those lines...your thoughts on your pot regardless of maker?

I have an original RCBS Pro Melt with a homemade PID for temperature control which is now backup to the Pro Melt 2 which was backordered 4 months. The Pro Melt 2 is the current model, made in China, It seems to be OK but I've only put 50# through it so far, I would look for a sale price about $250. I'm sure it holds at least 25 lbs compared to the Lee which holds less than 20. I ran 2 PID controlled Lee 4-20s for years but lost them to a fire not related to casting. The Lee 4-20 is a better deal, I bought the RCBS to stop drooling over the Magma 40 pounder and it fits on my tiny bench.

RedDogForge
07-03-2018, 09:06 PM
thanks Mal :)

sigep1764
07-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Sorry RedDog, I got crossed up as to what you were referring to. I use a turkey fryer and a stainless two gallon pot. Keep an eye out at Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sam's Club, or Costco. The fryers go on sale at least a couple times a year. And Mal's RCBS pot is on my want list.