PDA

View Full Version : One pot one mold and lots of 45 colts.

Royalwolf
06-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Please provide suggestions on which mold to cast with.
I keep buying molds but find limits as I switch to different 45 colt"s.
I all ready have the 255 Keith mold and the 270 rcbs mold which I believe have to long of a nose for the 1873. I found out the hard way.
The needs so far.
It has to cycle in 1873's.
Must seal the chambers on 1873's. Trying to prevent blow back I getting really dirty brass because of the loose chambers on the 73's
I will also hunt with a 92 so I would like to run it plus P so I can knock down pigs and deer.
It will also be carried in older rugers that will share the same load as the 92.
Thanks ahead of time for the thoughts and guidance!

Outpost75
06-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Maybe not perfect solution, but a traditional one:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-259EB-D.png

1:30 alloy from Roto Metals, and 7.0-7.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup,
or 8.0-9.0 of Unique, Universal or Herco.

Of course with the generous lube groove, it also works with Holy Black and SPG if you like.

Springfield
06-28-2018, 02:45 PM
Looks like a good bullet for '73's. The Ubertis tend to have blowback, I know my wife's does. Running heavier bullets and .454 diameter helps some, as well as using a good roll crimp. Using thinner brass, like Winchester and Starline helps also. Stay away from CBC brass, way to thick.

wendyj
06-28-2018, 06:58 PM
I don't have the 73 but a Henry that's picky on oal. I bought a 260 grain .454 mold from Noe and my feeding issues are not a problem anymore. Range lead and water quenched. I love this mold.

reddog81
06-28-2018, 07:01 PM
You should be able to find a mold that chambers fairly easily if you go with shorter i.e. lighter bullets.

No mold is going to fix your other problems. Sizing bullets correctly and using dies that don't swag down your bullets will help with the seal. Using appropriate alloys and reload data will help with the hotter loads.

Royalwolf
06-29-2018, 07:25 PM
What about some thing with a gas check. Any thoughts

Hardcast416taylor
06-30-2018, 10:51 AM
What about some thing with a gas check. Any thoughts

Actually a gas check isn`t really needed until you venture into curing different problems or high velocity.Robert

Outpost75
06-30-2018, 11:03 AM
I don't have the 73 but a Henry that's picky on oal. I bought a 260 grain .454 mold from Noe and my feeding issues are not a problem anymore. Range lead and water quenched. I love this mold.

At .45 Colt pressures and velocities hard bullets are not necessary.

Do away with the water-quench and you can still drive soft bullets 1300 fps in your 1873 and they will perform better on game.

Factory bullets in the black powder rifle calibers were typically either pure lead or very dilute tin-lead alloys not harder than 1:40. I use 1:30 for full charge hunting loads in the .44-40 and .44 Magnum with either black or smokeless in both rifle and revolver.

Green Frog
07-01-2018, 01:03 PM
OP75, back in another lifetime when I was casting and shooting a LOT of 319-321 and 457 bullets for hyphenated rifles like 32-40s and 45-70s (for schuetzen and BPCS) I settled on a standard alloy of 25-1 with pure lead and tin I had in abundance back then. I would make up fairly large batches then intentionally mix the ingots from different batches to minimize variation as much as possible. I'm starting to get back into schuetzen and am also shooting some 44-40 in a Henry for N-SSA skirmish events. I'm leaning toward mixing up a big old batch of 25 to 1 and using it for all of those bullets as well as the limited number of 454s I'll need for my Uberti Smoke Wagon in 45 Colt. Would that be too hard an alloy or would that little extra tin still do OK for all of those? TIA for your input! :coffeecom

Froggie

Royalwolf
07-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Up date.
So I found some 250 grain rnfp Missouri boolits.
They shot great out of the 1873 and I did not get any blow back. The cases were still smoked but much better results.
If it matters I used a max load of trail boss from the Hodgson manual.
I will give these a shot next in all of the rugers soon!
If this works in every thing I will be in search of a mold soon!

greenjoytj
07-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Royalwolf how did the diameter of the Missouri bullet compare to the bullet you used before?
The max load operating at max pressure likely caused more case expansion which better sealed the chamber reducing the amount of blow back fouling.
I use Starline cases but I think their too tough to expand much so I see a lot of blow back fouling.
My next batch of cases I buy I will look for brass with thinner case walls.

greenjoytj
07-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Maybe not perfect solution, but a traditional one:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-259EB-D.png

1:30 alloy from Roto Metals, and 7.0-7.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup,
or 8.0-9.0 of Unique, Universal or Herco.

Of course with the generous lube groove, it also works with Holy Black and SPG if you like.

In the dimensional drawing what do the number measurements shown in the top right hand side refer to. The measurements in the drawing, I understand those.
The bullet drawing looks very similar to my SAECO 955 mold except for the beveled base the 955 is flat based.