PDA

View Full Version : Throat off-center : how bad is it?

Yugnat
06-28-2018, 04:30 AM
I've pound-cast my chamber and here is the result :

It looks good on this side, but on the other side, we can see the rifling starting just at the start of the throat. It seems the reaming of the throat have been done slightly off-center thus leaving a little of rifling on one side and boring too much on the other side.

Is that an acceptable tolerance on barrel manufacturing? This barrel is from radical firearms.

odfairfaxsub
06-28-2018, 08:46 AM
I had a big bore rifle won’t mention names but it shot super....shot better than other rifles that seemed to have their stuff together right. Also had a marlin that had a rifling cut so shallow compared to the other riflings that it could have been mentioned to be smooth.... yet again Bullet hole cutter. Had a 45 colt lever action that had a chamber cut off center of the barrel bore.... shot wonderful just made weird looking casings.

KLR
06-28-2018, 09:38 AM
The last 5 barrels and rifles I've bought have had crooked throats like that. The first two were AR barrels that I sent back for a refund. The third was a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel that split the case neck on the first round that I fired. I sent it back for a replacement and the replacement was only half as crooked. It shoots right around 1" @ 100. While I was waiting for the replacement Howa to arrive Brownells had a clearance on Howa Mini barreled actions and I bought one in 6.5 Grendel. It's only slightly crooked. It shoots slightly under 1"

So, what you have isn't right, but it isn't uncommon. I'd send it back.

Yugnat
06-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the answers.
I'm in Europe, it's not easy to get a replacement here. If it isn't uncommon I might live with it, I don't want to wait months to get a replacement just to get another defaulted barrel. I will ask my retailer.

I'm seeing good results with my cast bullets and now I feel like I'm hitting a plateau. I don't know if I'm held back from further progress by my hardware, including this kind of defect, or if I still have room for improvement in my processes. Finding that out is part of the learning curve I guess.