PDA

View Full Version : Gander Outdoors visit

frkelly74
06-25-2018, 07:33 PM
I wandered into the Gander Outdoors just off I94 on Westnedge in Portage near Kalamazoo over the weekend. I saw ,amid all the bikes, running shoes and Kayaks a gun department with a few guns available. Nothing caught my eye until I got to the case where some stripped AR15 lower receivers were displayed. Anderson lowers were $49.95 ea which I thought was pretty reasonable. Uppers with no bolt carrier group were about $400 in a couple of calibers, which I thought was a little high. The guy said they had parts kits for the lowers but I did not see any. He also said they were out of buffer tubes. I do not know for certain if they had enough parts to assemble a working rifle, but I think you could get a good start on one all in one visit. I need to check on the one here in Saginaw.

dragon813gt
06-25-2018, 09:30 PM
There were deals on stripped Anderson Lowers over Father’s Day for as low as $30. $50 is the lowest I’ve even seen them in a store around me. And you had to buy three to get that price. So the Gander price wasn’t bad IMO. I haven’t looked to see if any of the new ones have opened by me.

jonp
06-28-2018, 08:19 AM
The new owner has made it well known how he feels about Trump supporters and those on the right in general. I will heed his wishes that i shop elsewhere

Smoke4320
06-28-2018, 12:07 PM
I agree with jonp .. he will get none of my money

The new owner of Minnesota-based Gander Mountain had some strong words for supporters of President Donald Trump after the riots in Charlottesville, Virginia last week.

Marcus Lemonis: If you’re OK with what Trump said, don’t shop at my businesses from CNBC.
Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World and the host of CNBC’s The Profit went on the show August 16 and told the hosts of Power Lunch, “There’s no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don’t shop at my business.”
The strong condemnation of Trump supporters came after the president’s back-and-forth statements to the press blaming both white supremacists and counter-protesters known as ANTIFA for the violence that occurred in the small Virginia town.

lefty o
06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
im with the others, i will never set foot in the place!

dg31872
06-28-2018, 01:02 PM
The store closed in my town, and now they sell furniture in the old Gander building.

Walks
06-28-2018, 01:09 PM
I still have DIE SETS from the old Gander MTN, before they sold their mail order to Cabela's. It's sad the way things have changed. I remember being 6 or 7yrs old about 1960. Following my Dad & older Brother's around the REAL ABERCROMBIE & FITCH in SAN FRANCISCO.

****ED BLEEDING HEART LIBERALS, SCREWING OUR WHOLE WORLD UPSIDE DOWN.

bedbugbilly
06-28-2018, 02:10 PM
And as os said . . . . "So let it be done." He doesn't want my business all because I support President Trump . . . I can accommodate that with no problem. Let's see what tune he plays when his big mouth drives away business from his stores . . . as they say, "Never bite the hand that feeds you."

jmort
06-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Since I can't say what I think about their CEO, I will just say I would never spend a dime at Gander Camping World.

Big Tom
06-28-2018, 05:21 PM
You just need to see a single one of his episodes on TV to realize what a bigmouth he is. There is nothing at Gander Mountain that I could not get elsewhere, and I honestly never shopped there to begin with...

GhostHawk
06-28-2018, 09:31 PM
They were overpriced before they closed.
I don't need anything they sell that bad.

frkelly74
06-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Yes, I had heard, read and was aware that there was ire at the comments of M L, and that was why I was a little surprised to see Black Rifle lowers actually in the case for a reasonable price.

frkelly74
06-30-2018, 07:28 PM
So, I got one of the Anderson lowers. got the 4473 all filled in and approved and am good to go for a build. In my opinion the guys at the counter were knowledgeable about building AR rifles and, perhaps, seemed to be their own best customers. They did not seem to knowledgeable about guns in general although one had heard of Cast Boolits. They had some powder and primers for sale by the hundred at $2.99 which is what I was paying when I was stocking up. Red dot was $27 per pound, there was some other powders for $20 a pound , Universal and clays maybe?? It was a pretty good experience. Now I am on the hunt for parts.

The reason I am in doubt about the counter guys savvy was that there was a gentleman in the store with an old quite used Marlin 336 in 32 Win special and they would not even talk to him about trading it in or selling it to them. So they might have retained some of the gun snobbery that there was in the store before. I regret not getting a better look at his Marlin before he got away. I was not aware that 32 Win Special was an option in a Marlin.