PDA

View Full Version : Stopped off at a smalltown restaurant................

WILCO
06-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Nice clean friendly place. Good food too.
The morning paper was available for anybody who wanted to read it.
Several copies to be exact. While the old timers took in the fake news, I perused a couple of gun sites on my smart phone. Felt awkward at first, but figured since I was paying and eating alone, I'll do what I want.

Even watched that old training film Grmps shared.

Naturally, with the sound off. :D

GOPHER SLAYER
06-24-2018, 07:29 PM
My family did a lot of cross country driving in the '60s '70s and then in the '90s. We found most of the small town restaurants had been put out of business by the fast food burger joints. I made a trip to my home town in 2002 and could not find a single restaurant where a waitress would come to your table and ask what you would like to order. Vey sad.

shooter93
06-24-2018, 07:39 PM
My wife says I know EVERY small restaurant, diner or local bar restaurant that has older waitresses in the state......lol. They are simply the kind of places I prefer to stop at.

Chihuahua Floyd
06-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Love one off Mom and Pop joints. Dislike fast food. Hometown still has two, the Pick n Pig (had lunch there today), and the Chuckwagon. Bryson City has Nabors, Anthony's, couple of others.
CF

bob208
06-24-2018, 08:24 PM
the small restaurants and dinners are making a come back around here. buildings look rough on the out side inside clean good food and good service. some even have senior prices and menus'.

snowwolfe
06-24-2018, 08:51 PM
I will always pick a mom and pop place over any type of fast food or chain place. Food is almost always better and you usually meet nice people

country gent
06-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Years ago we had truck trouble coming home from Mich deer season. Wife myself and 3 children. Limped into a small town gas station in SHepard Michigan. Called for brother to come up with trailer to get us home. Went down the street to a small resteraunt called Taters. clean nice place friendly staff mostly burgers and sandwiches. The fries came piled high on a serving platter, the one order feed the 5 of us and then some. A great place.

nagantguy
06-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Years ago we had truck trouble coming home from Mich deer season. Wife myself and 3 children. Limped into a small town gas station in SHepard Michigan. Called for brother to come up with trailer to get us home. Went down the street to a small resteraunt called Taters. clean nice place friendly staff mostly burgers and sandwiches. The fries came piled high on a serving platter, the one order feed the 5 of us and then some. A great place.

What a flash back; years back coming home
From northern Mi I had transmission troubles and also limped into Shepard MI; on the night before thanksgiving no less; ate at that same restaurant even though they closed when I walked n the door, the cook told me of a shade tree mechanic that would treat me fair; and even though I didn’t expect him to work on my truck thanksgiving day two days later he had it done for a fair price!!

country gent
06-24-2018, 09:30 PM
The Gentleman at the garage offered us his home to wait for my brother even. I did do a couple oil changes for him for the use of the phone and time waiting. I was really impressed with the people we met there

MaryB
06-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Love the hole in the wall places. Local bar serves burgers, some of the best onion rings around(fresh made), fried shrimp, fried chicken(both from frozen but on nights I am not up to cooking it tastes fine..), and an order of fries is enough for 3 meals! They literally fill a separate takeout container with the fries on an order to go.

If you are ever going through Redwood Falls, MN Chumley's Burgers and Brew serves up some great food too! I eat there 2-3 times a year if I am in town late.

samari46
06-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Was hunting some years back and everyone else went home for thanksgiving dinner. I had and old '73 CJ5 with three on the floor. Drove into the nearest town and asked a police officer where could I get a good meal. Went in and although place was packed I was seated and asked what would I like to order. turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing,gravy and cranberry slices. About a half hour the waitress came out with a huge plate with the main meal,and separate dishes for the rest. Great food, good service and nice and clean place. Even saved room for some apple pie. Left a good tip and thanked the young lady for a great meal. Asked if they could fill my thermos with coffee and milk. Darn that coffee was good. Guys kidded me about eating junk food while they were gone. Told them what happened and kinda suprised about going into town and finding some place that was open. Frank

am44mag
06-25-2018, 12:30 AM
Most of our favorite places to eat are local places. One is more of a regional thing, but still nothing like national chain like Chili's or Applebees. When we go on vacation, we always try to eat at local places. You're not gonna get a feel for that area's culture in a fast food joint.

BTW, Baton Rouge has some of the best food I've ever eaten hands down.

Leslie Sapp
06-25-2018, 06:42 AM
I have a method for finding local restaurants when we travel...
Find the county seat, locate the courthouse. There is almost invariably a small locally owned restaurant within walking distance.

Thin Man
06-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Many years ago I was on the road and passed through South Carolina. There were several billboards along the road advertising the "largest gun store in the state". Didn't have the time to stop there on the way toward the coast but did make a stop on the way back. Found the building and it was a long but narrow older building that was absolutely filled with new and old firearms at reasonable prices. I knew I would buy something, the only question was which one (to be shipped to my location). While we were there the electrical storm of the year came through and knocked out the power to the store. The owner closed down and invited SWMBO and me to his home for dinner, then called ahead to inform his wife they had company coning over. They had no power at their home so I brought in a Coleman lantern for lights during the meal. When we were finished eating he insisted we visit his under-construction home they were about to move into. Off we went to see a gorgeous 2 story home with everything well laid out and nearly completed. We went back to his home (power still off) and we left the lantern with him and family as we drove home. He tried to pay us for the lantern but I explained that if he was ever near our town just carry it with him. My purchase arrived a week later and I still have it (early S&W tip-up .22 Short). About 20 years later we were in his area again and I started looking for the signs advertising his store. There were none. I stopped and made inquiries until someone remembered the store. They explained there had been trouble at the store at a time that would have been about a year after we had been there. Three young tough guys came in bent on robbing the store. They pulled guns on the owner and his brother, who then pulled theirs. Shots were exchanged. The owner was killed outright, his brother was wounded and recovered. One thug was hit but not badly. All 3 were caught and sent to prison. One had already been released, another was about to be released and the third may never get out. The wife liquidated the store and remarried. I still have the S&W I bought there and the business card that came with it. Overall a very humbling experience.

lightman
06-25-2018, 07:25 AM
My wife says I know EVERY small restaurant, diner or local bar restaurant that has older waitresses in the state......lol. They are simply the kind of places I prefer to stop at.

Mine says the same thing. I'll pick a hole in the wall place over a bigger place everytime. The food is usually good, the prices usually fair and the service is usually good. Whats not to like?

Ole Joe Clarke
06-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Most of our favorite places to eat are local places. One is more of a regional thing, but still nothing like national chain like Chili's or Applebees. When we go on vacation, we always try to eat at local places. You're not gonna get a feel for that area's culture in a fast food joint.

BTW, Baton Rouge has some of the best food I've ever eaten hands down.

Have you ever ate breakfast at Frank's?

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-25-2018, 09:42 AM
I look for non-chain places to eat all the time. With a very few exceptions they have good food and are friendly. I try to not get on any interstate. I like to take back roads when I can. I even just turn and drive down gravel roads heading in the general direction I want. Sometimes I have to turn around in a dead end. But, it is adventure. Life is too short to drive the same road all the time and eat at the same place every time. My most recent find was Judy's Cafe in Jetmore, KS. Great BLT and iced tea.

dragon813gt
06-25-2018, 10:12 AM
I avoid chain restaurants like the plague. The only advantage to them is you know exactly what you’re going to get. Other than that they’re horrible. I’m forced to eat out four to five nights a week because of my job. I always eat at local places.

The one thing that sucks about leaving where I live is lack of Diners. There’s one on almost every corner here. In most of the country they’re few and far between. And I’ve eaten at a lot of bad ones. When you’re in an area for a brief period you don’t have the chance to try every place until you find the best one.

We had to go to a wedding in upstate NY over the weekend. Stopped at a diner in the Poconos that I’ve been going to my entire life. Both on the way up and the way back. Used to stop there w/ my family every Friday on the way up to our cabin. Place hasn’t changed much. And the food is as good as it’s always been. Comfort food doesn’t begin to cover how I feel about the place. I don’t know what I would do if it ever closes. Thankfully they’re busy all the time.

Bookworm
06-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Several decades ago, myself and a buddy were hunting out in eastern Oklahoma. We usually cooked at camp, but that evening we decided to go in to the (very) small town nearby. We found a small cafe, in which we two were the only customers. We were both in our late twenties, and single.

The waitress was a comely young lass, and her equally cute friend was visiting. The four of is got to visiting, the two young ladies invited us over for a drink.

.....we had dessert too....

No hunting was done the next day. Quite a bit of grinning, but no hunting.

am44mag
06-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Have a blessed day,

Leon

No, we weren't there for very long so we didn't get a chance to. We'll have to try it next time we go through.

Nueces
06-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Years ago, my trip to take daughter #1 to college in Memphis got sidetracked for a funeral in Houston, so the Memphis trip proceeded up 59 to Texarkana. We were west of Lufkin when we wanted lunch, so I told her "Here's what we do: head for town, locate the town square and circle it looking for checked curtains in the windows." Worked perfectly, we had wonderful chicken fried steak and peach cobbler.

More recently, a buddy and I attended a gun show in Taylor, Texas, northeast of Austin. Made friends with the two constables working the door and asked them for their lunch recommendations. They said "Go to Vencil's place." We didn't understand what they meant (or even what they had said), but they told us how to find it and we did. I judged the place to date from the 40s. We sat down and the nice waitress came over. I asked about the history of the place and she told us it had been started in 1947 by a guy back from the European theater of WWII. As we spoke with her, an old gentleman was rolled in in a wheelchair and placed under the window AC unit on the other side of the room. Waitress told us he was Vencil Mares, 95 years old, a WWII decorated hero and founder of the restaurant.

Later, as we ate the fine Texas BBQ, she brought us old copies of the town newspaper with a cover story on Mare's exploits. She had had Vencil autograph them for us. So, before leaving, we stopped by to meet and appreciate the guy. Neither of us could understand him, since he was sitting under a roaring AC unit, but we shook his hand and I think he understood that we honored him. As we left, we saw his shadow box holding his Silver Star and other decorations hanging by the door.

Stories like these help me appreciate little country places.

JoeJames
06-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Best places that are still in existence: Homer's on the east side of Little Rock on Roosevelt Road (usually plumb surrounded by utility vehicles - phone co. and power co. vehicles), the City Cafe in Holly Springs, Mississippi (red eye gravy made with coffee). Absolute best for breakfast but no longer in existence: Smitty's just off the courthouse square in Oxford, Mississippi, and Eunice's in Huntsville, Alabama.

gwpercle
06-25-2018, 05:40 PM
If you come to Bergeron's Restaurant , in Port Allen, Louisiana and wear your gun into the restaurant you will receive a 10% discount. Open carry has always been legal here , so don't leave your gun in the car, strap it on and enjoy some good food and company.
The restaurant has never been robbed .
Great Boudin , Smoked Sausage , Andouille and Cajun meats ! And they have recently opened a second location in Gonzales, LA. about 15 miles down the road ....now I wont have to drive across the Mississippi River to get my Boudin fix .

Check them out Bergeron's Restaurant , they like gun owners !

Gary

Walks
06-25-2018, 07:21 PM
My WIFE & I eat a local SPIRE'S Chain Restaurant a couple of times a month, about 1-2 miles from our house. We get good food & fast friendly service. But each one is a Franchise. There's another about 7 miles away. I wouldn't eat there if the food was free and you paid me to eat there. The're another local chain close by. They make great homemade creamed corn, like Grandma used to make. But I wouldn't there either, the rest of the food is minor quality & their coffee taste's like warm water with a brown crayon dipped in it.
But their is a place in LONE PINE up Hwy 395 that still serves the best Chix fried steak I've every had. Hangs over the platter with a huge pool of fantastic home-made country gravy in the middle. Mashed pots & creamed corn on the side. Wish I could remember It's name.

Nazgul
06-25-2018, 07:38 PM
My mother in law owned a restaurant for 40 years. Wife worked there in High School/College. Short counter/several tables. Signature dish was a multiple small burgers, we call them sliders now. Had daily hand made specials of real food. The old farmers would come in and harass her constantly, she still has the sharp wit and come backs at 85.

Sold it many years before I met and married her daughter. Wife always remembers the good times there despite the long hours and hard work.

Don

frankenfab
06-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Best places that are still in existence: Homer's on the east side of Little Rock on Roosevelt Road (usually plumb surrounded by utility vehicles - phone co. and power co. vehicles), the City Cafe in Holly Springs, Mississippi (red eye gravy made with coffee). Absolute best for breakfast but no longer in existence: Smitty's just off the courthouse square in Oxford, Mississippi, and Eunice's in Huntsville, Alabama.

Homer's is AWESOME.

lightman
06-25-2018, 09:01 PM

Homers is real good. Its obvious they don't hire the waitresses over the phone! Try BJ's Market Place sometime. Its in North Little Rock, off the east end of McCain Blvd near Phroto. Nearly under the new overpass. Lots of utility vehicles and work trucks on the parking lot. Lots of LE eat there too.

Sweetpea
06-25-2018, 09:40 PM
TONYS in Birch Run, Michigan has been a favorite my whole life, just don't go there by yourself!

If you find yourself in Enterprise, Utah, check out Verla's, and you won't be disappointed.

10x
06-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Funny how that goes.
In 1958 the town I went to school in had five restaurants. 4 auto dealerships and 4 machinery dealerships. 4 Grocery stores, a butcher stop, a house of ill repute (or two), a lumber yard, 4 service stations, 2 hardware stores, two barbers, two hotels, a couple of rooming houses, a movie theatre, and a pool hall.
Not bad for 465 people. They all made a good living
Now that town stjll has 465 people , 1 hardware store , a liquor store, (maybe the bar is still open), no restaurants, and a single grocery store / butcher shop, one convenience store/service station and empty lots on main street.
Spent a day there working on the family farm last week and recollected on how empty the down town has become over the past 40 years.

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-25-2018, 11:24 PM
Several decades ago, myself and a buddy were hunting out in eastern Oklahoma. We usually cooked at camp, but that evening we decided to go in to the (very) small town nearby. We found a small cafe, in which we two were the only customers. We were both in our late twenties, and single.

The waitress was a comely young lass, and her equally cute friend was visiting. The four of is got to visiting, the two young ladies invited us over for a drink.

.....we had dessert too....

No hunting was done the next day. Quite a bit of grinning, but no hunting.

There was no reason to go hunting after you had already bagged you limit!

ThomR
06-26-2018, 12:57 AM
There are small mom and pop shops all over around southern Illinois, at least in the smaller towns. I can think off the top of my head of at least six in a thirty minute drive in one direction.

JoeJames
06-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Homer's is AWESOME.I had to be at a seminar in Little Rock about 15 years ago, and my cousin who lived there offered to take me out to lunch. I figured we'd go to one of the fancy-smancy Restaurants down near the Bill Clinton house trailer - the kind where the prices are higher than a cat's back and the food is awful. I wass dreading it; so I was shocked when we headed out towards the airport. Homer's had the absolute best meat loaf I have ever eaten, and I usually don't put meat loaf at the top of my list. My cousin said I had a Gomer Pyle moment as in "Golly!" I think it is a well kept secret by the Little Rock locals.

Goatwhiskers
06-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Dang! Not that far from Port Allen and didn't know anything about Bergeron's. I WILL go. Not much on chain joints, and what they sell at BK, McD's, Sonic and such simply does stimulate my taste buds. I'd rather stay hungry and make it back home where I know there's some good grub. GW

Walkingwolf
06-26-2018, 11:07 AM
My wife, and I love friendly restaurants, and that means usually locally owned. Absolutely hate fast food, and want no part in the large franchise joints. Not only is the food better than fast food, it usually is not much more than them. Last week our bill for a local seafood restaurant was 19 bucks, with a tip it came to a grand total of $25.

yeahbub
06-26-2018, 12:06 PM
There have been several places of note I've been to over the years. One that comes to mind is Doris an Sonny's Homelike Resaurant in Miamitown, (SW) Ohio about a half-mile north of I-74 on SR 128. Good home-cooked food, pies baked daily and a great place for pork chops or pot roast, mashed potatoes and peas/carrots with plenty of butter. Or fried chicken. Good coffee, too. I found that place in the early '70's when E. Christopher, Firearms was a few doors down the street, a great place to while away the time looking through racks of rifles and muzzleloaders I couldn't afford then and talk to Bill Bramm, the owner. I still hunted on land a few miles from there until about ten years ago and used to go eat there. I had to limit my desserts or I'd ruin the afternoon hunt, snoozing off in the woods afterwards. Embarrassing when, slumped over, I open my eyes to see a deer's hoof a foot away, knowing I'm busted. Easy grabbing distance, but I've learned to resist such temptations.

gwpercle
06-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Dang! Not that far from Port Allen and didn't know anything about Bergeron's. I WILL go. Not much on chain joints, and what they sell at BK, McD's, Sonic and such simply does stimulate my taste buds. I'd rather stay hungry and make it back home where I know there's some good grub. GW

I just found out that along with the Port Allen and Gonzales locations there are Bergeron's in Shreveport and Bossier City....if you get up in that direction.
If you conceal carry just tell the waitress or cashier and you will get the 10% discount.
I only knew of the Port Allen location...looks like they are getting popular.
They are open 7 days a week and have a BBQ Buffet along with a regular menu...cool place .
Gary

MT Gianni
06-26-2018, 07:22 PM
You really have just described America. If a restaurant you enter doesn't have the newspaper, isn't friendly and clean there is no reason to stay. In MT even chain restaurants that serve breakfast have the paper.

DCM
06-27-2018, 12:25 AM
IME the mom and pop restaurants have better food with better portions than the chain restaurants.
I seldom leave hungry and usually leave happy, not always but usually.

Mr_Sheesh
06-28-2018, 10:13 AM
I tend to look for places with near full parking lots that're not chain restaurants, that's a GOOD sign. Some very good places out there, definitely :)

fast ronnie
06-28-2018, 10:38 AM
A little off from the "Mom and Pop" places, but a couple of years ago I needed to go back to the midwest for some family business and stopped to meet one of my customers to drop off some stuff. He took us to a place called Lambert's Diner. We had to wait for a while to get a seat, but Jeff said the wait would be worth it. That place was packed. It wasn't a small place, either. Food was extremely good and service was excellent. They are known for throwing rolls. If you have eaten there, you will know what I'm talking about. They will NOT hand you a roll, you have to catch it. This place is HUGE, and after eating there, I can see why they have gotten so big. It is not a fast food place even though it is quite large. Food is great, and all you can eat. I ended up taking almost half of what was on my plate with me. Some of the best catfish I have ever had. Bad part is, I can't remember the name of the town, but is in northeast Missouri.

JoeJames
06-28-2018, 11:17 AM
A little off from the "Mom and Pop" places, but a couple of years ago I needed to go back to the midwest for some family business and stopped to meet one of my customers to drop off some stuff. He took us to a place called Lambert's Diner. We had to wait for a while to get a seat, but Jeff said the wait would be worth it. That place was packed. It wasn't a small place, either. Food was extremely good and service was excellent. They are known for throwing rolls. If you have eaten there, you will know what I'm talking about. They will NOT hand you a roll, you have to catch it. This place is HUGE, and after eating there, I can see why they have gotten so big. It is not a fast food place even though it is quite large. Food is great, and all you can eat. I ended up taking almost half of what was on my plate with me. Some of the best catfish I have ever had. Bad part is, I can't remember the name of the town, but is in northeast Missouri.One is near us; Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO in Southeast, Missouri...and in Ozark, Missouri.

country gent
06-28-2018, 08:03 PM
House of the thrown roll. Mom and Dad ate there on vacation once.

Texas by God
06-29-2018, 01:33 PM
In oil country, look for white pickups in the parking lot as well as LE cars. If there's a bunch; eat there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fast ronnie
07-07-2018, 06:36 PM
One is near us; Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO in Southeast, Missouri...and in Ozark, Missouri.

Sikeston is the one we went to. I just couldn't remember the name of the town. Great place to eat. Good food.

rockrat
07-07-2018, 06:52 PM
At at a place near the Florida panhandle, they also had thrown rolls, about the size of a softball.

mold maker
07-10-2018, 09:46 AM
The last of the Mom and Pop diners, as well as the last cafeteria in this county has closed. It's now fast food, chain stake place, or nothing. Just the memories make me hungry.

Rick N Bama
07-10-2018, 03:01 PM
That's Lambert's Cafe in Foley AL.

farmerjim
07-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post

No, we weren't there for very long so we didn't get a chance to. We'll have to try it next time we go through.

I have, but it has been a while.

Petrol & Powder
07-10-2018, 05:43 PM
I've been in many small local restaurants: some good, most mediocre, some bad, some really bad and a few really great ones.

Surprisingly, the best ones haven't always been confined to small towns. Some of the best places I have been were in big cities. It's the people that make or break those places; the location isn't critical.
I travel a fair amount and always ask the locals where to eat.

I generally have better luck finding a good meal in a local restaurant located in a small town or deep in a big city. Suburban locations on the edge of a city are consistently the worst places to find good meals.

rockrat
07-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Rick N Bama----I think you might be right!! Name sounded familiar

Rick N Bama
07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Rick N Bama----I think you might be right!! Name sounded familiar

I used to think that every trip to Gulf Shores required a visit to Lambert's, but not so much any more. Now it's "The Original Oyster House" if we can get in without a long wait.

Dorf
07-12-2018, 11:34 AM
I haven't been in the area for a few years but, Moody's Diner in Waldoboro, Me. was a mandatory "pie stop" when heading Down East. Another good stop was a place on the main drag in Bingham on Rt. 201. I don't remember the name of it but the breakfast they served was memorable. Hope this helps--Stan.

Hannibal
02-01-2023, 03:16 PM
Thread was dead for 5 years until today.

fixit
02-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Best cheeseburger I ever had was in a small town restaurant, absolutely certain with locally grown beef, in silver lake indiana. Place didn't look like much, but, wow! It was good!

Winger Ed.
02-01-2023, 03:29 PM
Place didn't look like much, but, wow! It was good!

Most of those places we refer to here as a 'hole in the wall' are like that, or started off that way.

Some of the best places I've ever eaten at looked like the ceiling was about to fall in on you,
and the formica topped tables and floor tile were so worn you couldn't tell what color they when they were new.

fatnhappy
02-01-2023, 03:46 PM
My Great Uncle Charlie owned the only diner in a small northern NY town from whence my mother hailed. He and Aunt Edith made a life of it, from WWII until they passed in the late 80s. They were successful simply because they were good people and Charlie was a heck of a funny guy.
Anytime my mother went home to visit, my brothers and I were lent to Uncle Charlie and Aunt Edith as conscripted labor. Last time I saw Uncle Charlie I was headed to Burlington to see another Aunt on hospice. It was Christmas time in 88, I was home on leave. Driving through late late at night I popped in to see Charlie who was closing up. He fired the grill back up. After feeding me and BSing I asked what I owed him, he said a buck. I left a $20 tip and headed out. It always pained him to see my brother and I in uniform, his nephew was KIA. Georgie had less than a month left on his tour but was large and in charge. He was posthumously awarded the silver star.

It's all changed now. I think the diner is a flower shop and all the small homes in the town are rentals for college students.

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Lance Corporal Bernard G. Purvis (MCSN: 2391296), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Squad Leader with Company A, First Battalion, Third Marines, THIRD Marine Division in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On 29 January 1969, Lance Corporal Purvis' squad was participating in a combat patrol near An Hoa in Quang Nam Province when the Marines came under a heavy volume of hostile fire delivered by a well-concealed enemy force. Reacting instantly, he skillfully deployed his men into effective fighting positions and unhesitatingly led an aggressive assault against the hostile unit. Completely disregarding his own safety, he repeatedly exposed himself to the intense enemy fire as he fearlessly moved about the hazardous area, shouting words of encouragement to his men and directing their accurate fire upon the hostile emplacements until he was mortally wounded. His outstanding leadership and aggressive fighting spirit inspired all who observed him and were instrumental in the subsequent defeat of the enemy. By his courage, bold initiative and unfaltering devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Purvis contributed significantly to the accomplishment of his unit's mission and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

ShooterAZ
02-01-2023, 05:25 PM
Thread was dead for 5 years until today.

That's because it was resurrected by Spammers.

pworley1
02-01-2023, 05:26 PM
The community I live in has a school, two churches, and a small restaurant. There is always plenty of extra seats at the school and churches, but there is almost never an empty table at the restaurant.

shooterg
02-02-2023, 05:52 PM
I have a method for finding local restaurants when we travel...
Find the county seat, locate the courthouse. There is almost invariably a small locally owned restaurant within walking distance.

True that - here it's even named the Courthouse Cafe !

rockshooter
02-02-2023, 09:17 PM
as someone noted earlier- look for pickups, esp if there is a dog in the back.
Loren

Murphy
02-03-2023, 12:07 AM
Living in a rural area, those small hometown style cafes are jewels. Others have already stated the signs to finding them if you just pulled into town for the first time.

Nothing like stopping in a small town dinner like that, having a good meal and being on your way. Usually the waitresses are friendly, tolerant of old men (but mind your manners) and you don't mind leaving a little extra added to the tip.

It's when you're passing back through a year later, walk in the door and get greeted with 'Hello, stranger! Where ya' been so long?". Now that's what I'm talking about.

For those that like a good chuckle and don't mind a little language. There's a video on Youtube (I don't post links here) from the move Hell or High Water with a waitress and 2 Texas Rangers in it. Worth every bit of the less than 2 minutes it takes to watch it. Search for, What Don't You Want? Waitress | Hell or High Water (2016)

Murphy

Forty Rod Ray
02-03-2023, 12:25 AM
If any of you good folks pass by Enterprise, Alabama. Annie’s on Main Street should not be missed. About six months ago. My bride and I packed up a moved to Smyrna Tennessee. No Annie’s, but lots of plastic chain stores. Sure miss good family style cooking and atmosphere.
Always met nice folks who sat with us when Annie’s was busy.

Warmest regards,

Forty Rod

02-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Liverpool, NY has a hot dog stand that has been there for decades. Simply the best dogs and coonies ever.

Driver man
02-03-2023, 03:20 AM
Liverpool, NY has a hot dog stand that has been there for decades. Simply the best dogs and coonies ever.

What are coonies?

Outer Rondacker
02-03-2023, 06:46 AM
Well this small towns spot is the worst food known to man. They fry eggs to death even. Keeps a mans pocket from shrinking that's for sure.

Whenever I travel I ask the locals where is the best food. They hardly disappoint.

owejia
02-03-2023, 09:55 AM
Was stationed at Ft. Campbell, ky. after returning from Nam in fall of 67, was a small place in Hopkinsville, Ky that served the best hamburger I have ever ate. Small place, Horseshoe Bar and Grill, never drank there just stopped in for the burgers, about filled the entire plate up. Maybe it was because had been eating c-rations, hospital and mess hall chow but to this day can still remember how good they were.

Winger Ed.
02-04-2023, 12:13 PM
What are coonies?

A Coney Island hot dog.

You'd recognize it as a classic American hot dog with (real) chili, cheese, onions, and mustard on it.

In New York--- at the Coney Island amusement park where the name came from,
it would be served more like a regular hot dog--- but with some sort of gross meat sauce dumped on it.

owejia
02-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Had lunch at Boyette's yesterday after a Reelfoot Lake Eagle sighting tour in Tiptonville, Tn. A small town between Reelfoot Lake and the Mississippi River. Had quail on the menu never seen quail on a menu in this part of the country before. Restaurant has been in business for over a 100 yrs. Breaded and deep fried with all the sides was good but not as good as my Mothers wild fried quail with biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Will definitely eat there again if in the area. The quail have been gone from this area for probably 6 or 7 years now. Never hear them in the spring calling "Bob White" any more. Sure do miss the hunting from my younger days.

Rapier
02-05-2023, 10:14 AM
I was also at Campbell in 67, my favorite place was the grill next to the bus station in Clarksville, TN. The fellow that operated it bought his meat in big paper buckets. Great hand made grilled burgers, with hand cut fries. Bus station is a mis-nomer, it was just where the Grey Dogs stopped.

But nothing in the country was quite like walking into the restaurant in the late 50s in the Claremont Hotel in Claremont, OK. The entire hotel had all of its walls covered in guns, wired to chains hanging from the high ceilings. Only place close, on a smaller scale, was the Hideaway Restaurant south of Burlington, VT in the 60s. The two were good places to eat at the time. The guns are still in Claremont, in a city block sized modern museum. The Hideaway is closed and gone, removed the Stearman tail from the roof.

Kraschenbirn
02-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Before I retired (for the second time) I contracted property inspections for an insurance brokerage house. I'm pretty certain that, during that period, I was inside of every 'mom & pop' kitchen in East-Central Illinois...and had eaten in, least, half of them. Easiest way to find the best food? Look for state and county squad cars around lunch time. Or, if you happen to be in the county seat, hang around the courthouse and watch for where the legal beagles congregate...for years, best cheeseburgers in the state were served at the old 'Embassy Bar & Grill' a block down the alley from the Champaign County Courthouse.

Bill

MaryB
02-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Used be a place called Cambia Bar and Grill SE of New Ulm, MN that had the best burgers... and an order of fries fed 4 people! A real dive bar, peeling paint, it flooded often form the Minnesota River so had that musty smell... it was our pit stop whenever we worked out that way cutting firewood! 2 beers, a 1/2 pound burger(hand made, not a premade patty!), split a plate of fries and a plate of onion rings... good stuff!

geezer56
02-09-2023, 05:30 PM
I had lunch yesterday in the small town of Warrenton, Georgia. The restaurant is right in front of the Court House. It's in an old hardware store building. The floors run every direction except level. Formica tables are worn white, the pattern is worn off. It's cafeteria style, they had fried chicken, baked ham, meat loaf and roast beef to choose from. The creamed corn and fried apples were amazing, as was the chicken. Greens, Southern sweet tea, and cornbread. It was better than any of the high class places I have eaten in, all over the country.

Milky Duck
02-09-2023, 05:44 PM

well Im going to buck the trend....my wife is celiac..cant handle ANY glueten so our place of choice to eat is Burger Fuel...and the spitfire one in ChristChurch,just on way out from airport is the best one in the country (we have tried most of them) my usual order is a barstard burger with fries and a thickshake,both carameland banana flavouring,so thick my eyes suck into skull trying to get it up straw..Rotorua comes a close 2nd ,Invercargil a distant 3rd..and you can have a beer down there.
when traveling country in stock trucks many a pub meal has been had,along the lines of what you lads are describing..the yare still good places to get a decent meal over here. the village inn here in geraldine has great meals and the ribs are almost too much to fit in.

fatnhappy
02-11-2023, 10:39 AM

And where would that be neighbor?

Bmi48219
02-12-2023, 11:37 PM
Don’t know if it’s still there or under the same ownership but…
Years ago there was a family owned restaurant in Mancelona Michigan on the main road through town. Sundays they offered a buffet brunch in addition to a cooked to order menu. All the food was good but the sausage gravy was the best I’ve had, bar none. As was the corned beef hash. I don’t care much for biscuits but a couple ladles of sausage laden gravy over a pile of hash with a side of scramble eggs and rye toast always made my day. The town also had a WW2 Memorial across the street complete with an M-4 Sherman.