PDA

View Full Version : Burn rate charts

abunaitoo
06-24-2018, 05:00 AM
Looking to download a newer burn rate chart.
The one I have doesn't have some of the newer powders.
Why is it the charts have different burn rate order for most of the powders???
For instance....
Old chart list
Bullseye
Red Dot
Titegroup
700X
New chart list
Red Dot
700x
Bullseye
Titegroup
Do the powders change????

Rcmaveric
06-24-2018, 07:22 AM
Depends on how the company performed their tests. Some powders are within 5% equivalents of each other and have a tolerance of 5% tolerance between lot to lot of the same powder. Take Reloader 7 and imr 4198, they are equivalent powders so are within 5% of each other. With a tolerance of 5% lot to lot, Reloader 7 could faster one time and 4198 could be the faster one. Or one chart could have them really far apart due their lot to lot variance at opposite ends of a spectrum.

I have personal charts i keep updated and monitor the Hodgdon chart for updates on new powders.

gwpercle
06-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Western / Accurate Powders has a good up to date burn rate chart.
There is a PDF is on their web site and it is also printed on the last page of their Loading Data Guide edition 6.0 , which they will send you for $2.99. Pretty good little guide if you use Western Powders.
Gary

dragon813gt
06-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Here is Hodgdon’s latest: https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf

You can find a lot of the charts through a Google search. Each manufacturer has one.

reddog81
06-24-2018, 10:38 AM
The burn rates can vary depending on the application. Take a look at a 9mm case and a .44 Special case and it's pretty easy to imagine powder characteristics can vary depending the cartridge used.

The powders listed are so close I'm not sure why it would ever matter. If load data for Bullseye changes let me know. If Bullseye leapfrops 700x in the burn rate chart I couldn't care less.