PDA

View Full Version : Recycling bullet jackets

bdgackle
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I've been smelting down range lead, and am left with the jackets that float to the top. I've noticed that the jackets still have a thing coating of lead stuck to them when I strain them out.

Will recycling places buy jackets that still have some lead in them? If not, is there a way to get them to come out of the melt in a cleaner condition?

GP100man
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
bd

welcome to the madness!!!!!!!

try fluxing before skimmin , it`ll help get some more of the CB off the copper.

GP100man :cbpour:

RP
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
When i smelt the boolits after the jackets are free and floating I flux with transmission fluid. That translates to I light it on fire and the extra heat on the jackets lets the lead melt on off. After the fire is gone I use a big strainer type spoon to scoop the jacket up with and give them a good shake I find only a little lead and thats only if a jacket happens to hold some inside because I did not shake it good enough.

Meatco1
09-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Here I was tossing the jackets out. I guess I just don't have a complete handle on this recycling stuff!!

Richard

Jack Stanley
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
And here I was thinking all you very frugal fellas were going to cut open the jackets , flatten them and make gas checks with them :roll: No..... I don't feel let down , just relieved :coffee:

Jack:mrgreen:

goon
09-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Definitely don't want to throw the jackets out - copper is going for more than about anything else at the local recycling place.

KYCaster
09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
The first batch I took to the local recycler brought "yellow brass" price, $3.68 IIRC.

Next time it was half the yellow brass price 'cause it had some lead on it.

Next time it was "range lead" price 'cause it had too much lead on it. (.13/lb.)

The range lead I get has lots of steel jackets and if I don't seperate that from the brass I get "mill steel" price for all of it. ($60.00/ton).

I guess that's better than paying the sanitation dept. to haul it away! :-?

Jerry

P.S. I can find just one recycler within driving distance who will still take cartridge brass. Last time I called he offered .95/lb., about 25% of what it should bring.

mike in co
09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
P.S. I can find just one recycler within driving distance who will still take cartridge brass. Last time I called he offered .95/lb., about 25% of what it should bring.

what makes you think scrap cartridge brass is worth $3.80 a pound ?? ever ??

it maxed at about 2.30 a month ago for high volume sales...i use to do 2-3000 bls in scrap a month. today under $2 a lb...less than 1.90 for walk in with no sales history.
i'm in a major metro area...no shipping for my buyer( the scrap yard).

is your brass all brass, no steel, no aluminum, no trash, not dirt/rocks ?

don't let them ding you for primers...they are brass or plated brass.

our brass is 70/30 alloy, copper was over $4 at one time, but cartridge brass never got near 2.80 here....its supply and demand for the alloy.

mike in co

OeldeWolf
09-17-2008, 01:11 AM
I have tried to find a place here to take the jackets. The scrap yard will not take them, they say the residual lead messes up the reclaiming process.

Their buyer even told me that he'd had a previous person with a couple of tons of jackets, and could not find anyone in CA to recycle them.

I had them taken to the hazardous waste facility, where my friend was questioned closely about whether I was a terrorist, and forced to return another day, when a supervisor could decide whether to accept them or not.

And yes, I live in California. This seems almost stereotypical, does it not?

docone31
09-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Muriatic acid will eat the lead.
Soak em, then rinse em.

TAWILDCATT
09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
scrap yards are not known for their honesty.people steal air conditioners and sell to scrap yrd.also copper gutters from church buildings.think they would not rip you of for a few bucks by down loading the price.my local says lead is not worth buying .o4 cents lb.I would like to buy It at that price.:coffee:[smilie=1:

imashooter2
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I've heard of people selling jackets and even WW clips, but the yards around here won't touch them.

mike in co
09-17-2008, 10:16 PM
i sell brass for a living, and a little range led on the side.
i recyle to the local scrap yard all the aluminum cases, all the steel cases, all the brass that is no longer sutible for commercial reloading, range lead with jackets, leaded jackets from smelting and ww clips.
this maybe because i'm in a large metro area, and deal with a large yard.....but they take every thing i take them( the latest will be lathe turnings...all 6061 al alloy)

mike in co

KYCaster
09-18-2008, 01:50 AM
what makes you think scrap cartridge brass is worth $3.80 a pound ?? ever ??

it maxed at about 2.30 a month ago for high volume sales...i use to do 2-3000 bls in scrap a month. today under $2 a lb...less than 1.90 for walk in with no sales history.
i'm in a major metro area...no shipping for my buyer( the scrap yard).

is your brass all brass, no steel, no aluminum, no trash, not dirt/rocks ?

don't let them ding you for primers...they are brass or plated brass.

our brass is 70/30 alloy, copper was over $4 at one time, but cartridge brass never got near 2.80 here....its supply and demand for the alloy.

mike in co

Mike, at the time I was getting $3.80 for yellow brass pipe fittings and valves. Not much difference in the composition.

Prices are so inconsistant from one place to another, I don't know who to believe anymore.

Jerry