PDA

View Full Version : Plunk test - pass or fail?

Black Jaque Janaviac
06-21-2018, 01:33 PM
OK. So I was trying to determine the proper overall length of a boolit for my 9mm. I removed the barrel and did a plunk test with a factory load and it made a distinct metallic plunk. With the powder coated cast boolit the cartridge went plunk but had a more dull thud sound. The case head was flush with the back of the barrel so it looked OK.

Is that a pass because the cartridge free-falls into the chamber and ends where it needs to?

Or is it a fail because it made a dull thud sound?

It also seems to pass the function test - it cycles through the magazine, chamber, and ejects well enough.

This is at 1.130"

I start to get a metallic plunk when the OAL is down around 1.115"

lightman
06-21-2018, 04:32 PM
I would say "pass". It would be a fail if it did not enter the chamber.

robg
06-21-2018, 04:54 PM
As long as the cartridge chambers to the right depth it's passed the test .

Mitch
06-21-2018, 05:25 PM
i use a sized case that is the proper length as a gage.insert the sized case in the barrel note where the head of the case is.then try your loaded round and see if it is in the same position and go from there.i do not count one a thud or tink..for what is it worth.

gwpercle
06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
A coated lead boolit is not going to make the metallic sound a factory J-word round will.
Go by location in chamber....ignore the sound .
Gary

Grmps
06-21-2018, 06:08 PM
It wouldn't make a sound if it hadn't reached where it needed to be

Yodogsandman
06-21-2018, 09:58 PM
Time to go shoot some cast bullets!

Black Jaque Janaviac
06-21-2018, 11:10 PM
Time to go shoot some cast bullets!

Well alrighty then! Yeeeehah!
[smilie=2:

JBinMN
06-22-2018, 07:13 AM
http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/reloading-tips-the-plunk-test/

mdi
06-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Pass. But I would measure the bullet diameter, perhaps the bullet is just a few thousandths big and even though it goes deep enough, it might be touching the throat. But your ammo does pass the plunk test and I don't rely on sound just if the cartridge easily enters to the bbl hood...

Anytime there is a question of fit, measure. Measure your handload along the body. Measure the case at the neck, , body and at the head, and even at the rim. Measure the bullet after seating. Measure the OAL. Find out if the cartridge is too large and where it is too large. With this knowledge you can determine when the problem happens and fix it...