PDA

View Full Version : Over lube a bullet???

leadhead
06-18-2018, 09:23 AM
My buddy and I had a discussion about lubing cast bullets.
He said you can't over lube a bullet, and I say you most
certainly can over lube. I was referring to the Loverin style
bullets. Who is right and does it really mater?
Thanks for any info....
Denny

fecmech
06-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Yes you can! Shows up dramatically with .38 wadcutters. Wadcutters with all 3 lube grooves filled more than double the group size of single lube groove wc's@50yds. Learned that lesson more than 30 yrs ago with my Ransom rest.

Larry Gibson
06-18-2018, 10:23 AM
I learned the same lesson with 38 WCs and againe with the 266455 and 311466 Loverin bullets when pushed to HV, especially if a harder lube is used.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-18-2018, 11:57 AM
I would answer "maybe".

There are too many variables to give a solid answer.
pistol or rifle?
BP or smokless?
Lube recipe?
What oil is used in the lube?
percentage of oil content in lube?
and lube grooves size

There are surely some lube types and/or some applications where you can't use too much lube.

you mention Loverin style bullets, I haven't done any extension testing, but I am reasonably sure my NOE 6.5 Loverin boolit lubed with SL68B, loaded for my 257Rx6.5 jap custom rifle, that accuracy will not be effected if lubed partially or fully with SL68B.

RED BEAR
06-18-2018, 09:20 PM
never heard of such a thing. going to have to do some experiments on this to see for myself. even an old dog can learn new tricks.

beagle
06-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Yes. The resulting problem is lube purging fliers outside a normal group. These can't be predicted but are often discussed by cast bullet "benchies". On a 311466, I'll normally lube two grooves and let it fly./beagle

Shopdog
06-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Semantics.Like a lot of physics questions.Folks love to throw words and ideas out,"for discussion purposes".... then argue about the meaning."I did not have sex with that woman" sort of thing.

I will say,am blasting an '06 stainless CDL R700 @2400fps with 3-1 BW-vaseline lube,and can NOT get any less lube on them.Tiny space above GC,lubed by hand.This is a tackdriving varmint rig..... 3 and 5 shot groups,run up through the mag.This is NOT a BR rig!I don't give two hoots about 10 shot groups as they don't mean diddly,compared to cold bore "X" count of a varmint rig.

So,too much lube?For what?.... Semantics.

Hickory
06-19-2018, 07:04 AM
This is one of those subjects that not only cries for the right answer, but, the right question!
Am I using the right lube with the right number of lube grooves might be a better question.
The wrong lube is always a poor start when choosing a lube.
What is the right lube for any given application?
The right boolit lube has always been one of those black arts where I stand at the threshold of knowledge and have not stepped through, a mystery of unknown components with unknown causes and effects, along with inconsistent outcomes retards my passion to explore.