PDA

View Full Version : What a workout

daloper
06-16-2018, 07:05 PM
I started casting some boolits for my 45ACP. I am using a mold I got from my uncle when he quit casting. Ideal 452460 4 cavity. Now I know why people like their aluminum and brass molds. This is such a work out on my arms. It is going to take a few casting sessions to fill my mixed nut container with boolits. The good thing is that once it is full I can put that heavy beast away for what I hope is a long time. Probably not because I shoot more now that I cast. Starting to wish that I was a young man again or that we had some boys that would come help dad with his casting. Might have to look for a lighter clone for that mold.

nagantguy
06-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Aluminum is definitely lighter, if your using a bottom pour pot you can use a piece of heavy J channel to set the mold on while pouring.

Leadmelter
06-16-2018, 08:28 PM
I have a 10 cavity H&G 45 mold. The thing weighs over 10 pounds. I have not tried it yet.
I usually last 90-120 minutes once I get going.
Leadmelter
MI

Andy
06-16-2018, 09:17 PM
2nd the bottom pour with rest option, gives your arm a break every cycle

Rcmaveric
06-16-2018, 10:54 PM
I have some heavier molds that get tiring on the fore arms and i am in my younger years. I can sit there with a couple Lees in rotation all day and loose my self in the rhythm and not feel a thing.

Walks
06-16-2018, 11:15 PM
A good mold shelf makes all the difference. moving the molds as little as possible helps too. I fill the mold, move it 6-8" to the left, set it down. Pick up the filled mold next to it, move it 12-15" to the right (other side of pot) knock off sprue. Move mold 10-12" towards me and to the left, open, dump bullets in to quench bucket. Move mold up 12-15" to mold shelf, fill mold, move mold 6-8" to the left. Rinse, Repeat.

I find it CRITICAL that all molds being used are of the same size/design/cavity number. Even the same brand/style of handles will help maintain that rhythm. I can take a LYMAN MAG-20 from full to one and a half inch from bottom using 2 LYMAN 4CAV (44-45-cav) MOLDS in under 15 minutes. If you add the sprues back into the pot between every 4-8 fills it kinda helps maintain temp better and you can cast about 12-15 minutes more. Variations exist for 1,2,5,6 cavity molds of different brands.

Since N.O.E & ACCURATE use the same size aluminum mold blocks for their 4-5cav molds I can use those together. And the long sprues from 4,5,6 molds are easy to pick up with the gloved hand.