PDA

View Full Version : 1 handed conceal carry

anthont1
06-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Wife got hit by car she is doing alright, but her right elbow was pretty much shattered they were able to peice most of it together with a bolt and some pins. However they are not sure how much useage she will get back and they have said probally more surgeries. What I am wondering she normally was carrying a 9mm taurus but it took a long time to find a holster that did not hurt her to wear. I am thinking her only choice for carry now would be a revolver. I have not done anything with them and was curious if any one had some ideas to keep in mind while shopping for a cheap everyday carry. Also ideas about holsters that work for you. Holsters would need to be around waist as with cast she cannot lean over easily.

phonejack
06-07-2018, 07:30 PM
I think you are right about a revolver choice. Since it will have to be shot one handed, recoil and controllability is an issue. That means a wadcutter load. I would suggest a snub nose with an exposed hammer.

Outpost75
06-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Negative on the exposed hammer, catches on things, she needs to learn DA. Ruger LCR with wadcuuters is manageable by most women one-handed.

nicholst55
06-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Don't overlook the Taurus 85CH (I know, I know). The one I had was a sound little gun, and I shot it a fair amount. They're out of production is my understanding, but they should still be available at many distributors.

ETA: Looks like the nearest thing now is the CIA 850.

MUSTANG
06-07-2018, 08:37 PM
S&W Model 60, 5 shot, compact, been doing the job since 1965. Put a set of pachmayr grip on, and she will be "Good to Go".

GhostHawk
06-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Anyone else watch "Fargo"?

Last episode the one kid wanted to prove he could reload and shoot one handed.
He did it too. Right arm held against the side, gun laid in the crease, mag slammed home.
Reversed gun putting butt in the crease and cycled the action. Then picked it up left handed and let fly.

So a semi is doable. As is a speed loader for a revolver.

Personally if it was me I'd prefer the revolver with a speed loader and fairly light loads. Recoil and blast will hurt if your already hurting.

jcren
06-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Don't forget 9mms revolvers since you are set up already. Several folks make them including the ruger lcr with no exposed hammer.

pincherpartner
06-07-2018, 09:21 PM
I think JCREN is onto something. The LCR in 9mm with moonclips would be easier to manage than a standard speed loader.

anthont1
06-08-2018, 03:17 AM
thank you I did not even realize they had a 9mm revolver I was expecting to have to get a new setup. If I can find one she likes that cuts the expenses consideably. is the bulge on the revolver dificult to deal with for carrying or am I over worrying? We are going by a lgs monday when we head back to a follow up hopefully I can find a lcr for her to try.

osteodoc08
06-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Hope she makes a full recovery. I’d let her heal and let her decide.

buckwheatpaul
06-08-2018, 07:55 AM
S&W Model 60, 5 shot, compact, been doing the job since 1965. Put a set of pachmayr grip on, and she will be "Good to Go".

My vote for the Smith model 60 and a speed strip.....use with a pocket holster if she carries a purse or uses something baggy like cargo pants, but somehow I suspect that she wont wear them. I love the AZULA IWB holsters .... all leather and well made....good luck to to your wife and I will pray for recovery ! Paul

Geezer in NH
06-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Right NOW? I go revolver or stay home and use what ever you feel comfortable with.

shooter93
06-09-2018, 08:59 PM
I like Mustang's choice or any make of a similar revolver. I have carried many revolvers and never thought I was outgunned in any situation. It is all a matter of practice.....practice.......practice. A lot of people simply will not shoot enough to get as profficent as they should be. And you need to practice drawing and reloading. I seldom see shooter drop a magazine from a semi and put anpother one in the gun or drop the empty brass and then reload. I learned to shoot a handgun.....not a handsgun as my teacher told me.....lol.......shooting primarily with one hand. I still shoot a lot with one hand. With a decent load for the gun and person it is not hard to do. nothing wrong with using two hands but in a real panic or stressful situation one hand shooting could be required so I believe it is a very good thing to learn.

Mr_Sheesh
06-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Also - You might look at 6-shot speed strips if she has any hand function problems, the extra length will give her more grip on the speed strips. If she doesn't need the extra length that's OK too.

anthont1
06-12-2018, 04:03 PM
while we went by the lgs she hated the ruger ended up falling in love with the taurus 85fs. So gun bought and she found a iwb holster to start with. Now I get to increase my reloading gear :) have to get setup for 38 spl.

RogerDat
06-12-2018, 04:33 PM
One thing to bear in mind is the low probability she will need to ever draw and fire in a hostile situation, and of that low probability there is only a small sub percentage where the person will fire several shots.

Having 5 in the cylinder and a strip or at most two of 5 more round should cover almost any self defense situation well enough to keep her from being a victim. Was a time that the LEO carry load was 15 rounds for plain clothes or detectives. Five loaded and ten reloads.

Can't go wrong having reloading gear for .38 special. It is a most popular caliber.

bob208
06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
first round I reloaded was .38 spl.

tell your wife to keep using the arm as much as possible don't baby it. in 1980 I shattered both arms pins plates and screws. with in a year I was shooting again shot expert with a pistol also shot muzzleloader matches. it just takes work.

RU shooter
06-14-2018, 07:14 AM
There are also some tip up barrel semi autos in 32 or 380 that she could probably manage to reload, she wouldn't need to pull the slide back , generally smaller/thinner than a revolver .

Big Tom
06-14-2018, 10:26 PM
I would recommend some Hornady Critical Defense (or similar from other mfg.) ammo. Standard slugs will barely make it through a leather jacket.
Normally, I carry my pistols cocked with one round in the chamber, so one handed operation would not be a problem.

FISH4BUGS
06-16-2018, 08:20 AM
My vote for the Smith model 60 and a speed strip.Paul
My carry gun is a MagnaPorted 3" square butt 36 with Pachmayrs. That extra inch on the barrel makes all the difference in world for sighting, and the Pachmayrs make it controllable.
Consider that configuration....well maybe not the MagnaPort bit....it was that way when I bought it.

yeahbub
06-18-2018, 12:32 PM
I'm a little perplexed. You know the particulars of her current challenge, but if she can manipulate a revolver and speed loader or speed strip, why wouldn't she be able to manage an auto pistol and mags? Or is racking the slide the big challenge? Generally, when engaging in CCW, one has time to chamber the first round at home where there's time and/or help. Once that's accomplished, you're good for 10, 12 or 15 before a reload and the slide can be released from open or the mag changed with one still chambered, eliminating the need to manually rack it again. Or push the front of the slide against the edge of a piece of furniture, edge of the counter-top, the door jamb, bed frame, anything hard enough while gripping the pistol in the weak hand and let it slip off to chamber the next round. If an auto is what she's already familiar with, wouldn't reducing the need for cross-training while preserving her tactical advantage be better? Limiting one's self to 5 or 6 guarantees having to reload much sooner. If the confrontation takes 5-6 rounds do you want the gun to be empty or still have 4 or 5 or 10 left - without needing to find refuge for a reload? After a shooting scrape, no one says, "Gee, I sure wish I didn't bring all that extra ammo!"

I give no credence to the idea one can predict what a future defensive situation will require based on statistical history. Statistics provide a general predictive value, not specific. Yes, statistically many shootings are over in just a few seconds and after a few rounds. This is no predictor of the next specific confrontation and there are many which are atypical for various reasons. In some number of instances, one will face multiple assailants, some drugged out of their minds and capable of absorbing multiple hits before incapacitation. Just sayin'.

bob208
06-18-2018, 09:29 PM
to answer your question. I shot in a combat match where you had to do a one hand reload. some got real creative. opening the cylinder one handed then putting the pistol in your belt load the pistol .

watch the movie Valkery a walther pp was loaded and the slide worked one handed.

Mr_Sheesh
06-19-2018, 03:16 AM
You can press the rear sight against your belt or thigh to rack the slide on an autoloader, also. Helps to have enough upper body strength to do it (One woman I know couldn't, at first, rack a 1911 slide 2-handed; Some exercise fixed that.)