PDA

View Full Version : Any other States tax used 100 year old bricks?

DCP
06-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Any other States tax used 100-year-old bricks?

I needed 12 old bricks to weight down an umbrella stand.
$1.95 per brick plus $1.87 tax

How about you folks?

fast ronnie
06-06-2018, 11:49 AM
California, new or used.

JoeJames
06-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Arkansas for sure. Anything new, or used. They even haunt gun shows now.

Kenstone
06-06-2018, 11:55 AM
States that collect sales tax on autos, every time they are sold/registered, make more money than the manufacturer or original dealership.

Edit: and the towns collect property tax on the same vehicles in these states!
CT is the state I'm familiar with (has the highest state gas tax too), but I escaped in '94...
:mrgreen:

marlin39a
06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
If you buy retail, they tax it.

beemer
06-06-2018, 12:21 PM
You work for a dollar, taxed when you get it and again when you spend it. The people that get the dollar face the same thing. Not spent many times before the government gets it back.

jsizemore
06-06-2018, 12:24 PM
If you win money in another state, they'll tax you here.

Kraschenbirn
06-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Here in Illinois, the only things not subject to state sales tax are prescription meds and fundamental foodstuffs and, of course, 'home rule' cities are free to tag their own local sales tax on top of the state's bite. Oh yeah, and you're also supposed to keep track, report, and pay IL tax on goods that you purchase out of state that the seller has not collected tax for.

Bill

RED BEAR
06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
va will tax anything.

Rick Hodges
06-06-2018, 03:19 PM
If you buy it at a retail outlet it will be taxed.

FISH4BUGS
06-06-2018, 03:23 PM
You guys should move to New Hampshire. No State income tax and no sales tax. The State owns the liquor distribution and liquor stores, just like Al Capone did in Prohibition. There seems to be some parallel there, huh?

toallmy
06-06-2018, 03:28 PM
I suppose the state does not want you to recycle old bricks , what is the tax on a new one ?

DCP
06-06-2018, 03:56 PM
I suppose the state does not want you to recycle old bricks , what is the tax on a new one ?
!
Tax is 8% July 1 it goes to 8.5%. New and used tax is the same!

Sig
06-06-2018, 04:03 PM
I live in NY. The only stuff that isn't taxed is given away by our government.

Omega
06-06-2018, 04:26 PM
!
Tax is 8% July 1 it goes to 8.5%. New and used tax is the same!Ha, we've got you beat, here it's 9.46% sales tax, but no income tax because they get you everywhere else.

smokeywolf
06-06-2018, 05:05 PM
States that collect sales tax on autos, every time they are sold/registered, make more money than the manufacturer or original dealership.

Edit: and the towns collect property tax on the same vehicles in these states!
CT is the state I'm familiar with (has the highest state gas tax too), but I escaped in '94...

Maybe in distant or even recent past.
NY has the highest gas tax, with California a very close second. California has the highest fuel (combining gas and diesel) taxes overall.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/web_gas_taxes.php

bob208
06-06-2018, 05:47 PM
pa. anything sold is taxed idf it sold by a dealer. I have spaces at the big Carlisle car show. the tax people came in and said your are all dealers collect sales tax. had to get a tax number. all other flea markets you need a tax number to even get a space.

the one that really burns me. a car is bought new and sales tax is paid. five years later that same car is sold to some one else buys it used they pay sales tax and it goes on down the line.

dragon813gt
06-06-2018, 07:28 PM
pa. anything sold is taxed idf it sold by a dealer.

To be clear not everything in PA is taxed. Food, not prepared, isn’t taxed. Same w/ necessities for your children along w/ toilet paper and some other items. I expect this to change when property taxes are eliminated. But not everything is taxed.

Every state has their quirks when it comes to taxes. As someone that travels for work it’s nice to work in a state w/ no sales tax. But PA says I’m supposed to pay sales tax if I bring the items into the state. Good thing all I buy is meals when I’m away from home. There are a lot of people in the south east that make all large purchases in Delaware. Saving $60 for every $1k spent is pretty significant.

Bird
06-06-2018, 08:28 PM
dollar changes hands 13 times before the government has it all.

Bird
06-06-2018, 08:32 PM
If you buy something, new or used, and make a profit at the sale, you also owe tax. The only one exception may be legal tender currency...possibly.

smokeywolf
06-06-2018, 08:56 PM
You want to buy a car?

Earn the money. - You're taxed on every dollar.
Save the money. - You're taxed on the interest while saving.
Buy the car. - You're taxed on that money again.
Want to drive the car? - Buy license plates/tags (tax). EVERY YEAR!
Fill the fuel tank. - Fuel taxes.

Sell the car?
All of the above happens again.

MstrEddy
06-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Florida has state sales tax, but no income tax. The state sales tax is 6%, however counties and/or cities can add to this base rate. Miami-Dade county has added .5 percent for transportation and there's another .5% that they add in restaurants/bars where alcohol is sold. This is for homeless and alcohol/addiction programs.
Broward is wanting to put 1 % for transportation as well. It got defeated in 2016 on the ballot, but they're bringing it back up.
We also have property taxes on our homes at the county/city level. They are pretty high in SoFla.

Wayne Smith
06-07-2018, 07:54 AM
23 years ago when we moved from NH to VA we were curious about this. My wife (LOML) is a genius when it comes to money and finances and kept track. It was truly amazing - the difference in cost of living between NH and VA was infinitesimal - a matter of dollars a year difference. The two states simply took the money in different ways. Mostly taxes vs user fees.

bedbugbilly
06-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Old or new . . . if it can be moved, sold or transferred . . . tax it. The law abiding American citizen is viewed as the "Goose who lays the golden egg". Just like the fable, at some point, the politicians will kill the goose to get to the "real gold" . . . only to discover that there is no better source than letting the goose lay the eggs- then where will they find the dollars to waste? If I remember correctly, this country was founded as a result of "taxes" . . . funny how that worked out isn't it?

Just remember such things the next time you vote. As my Dad always said, "A new broom sweeps clean."

salpal48
06-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Sales Tax is Sales tax. If you buy it It is Taxed

Smoke4320
06-07-2018, 09:42 AM
in 242 years we have nearly returned to what we left for

mold maker
06-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Why would you require 100 yr old brick? Rock are free and no tax. Or as a caster make some large lead ingots as a storage method for lead. Be inventive and don't concern yourself with taxes.

DCP
06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Why would you require 100 yr old brick? Rock are free and no tax. Or as a caster make some large lead ingots as a storage method for lead. Be inventive and don't concern yourself with taxes.

Rocks aren't free there taxed also. They had maybe 15 different kinds rocks in huge piles. I no longer cast because of medical reasons. The lead I have is worth 1.00 a pound I needed it to weigh 125lb paid 25 dollers for the bricks not 125.00 for lead. 100 year old brick was the cheapest way.

It's pretty obvious you have never filled an umbrella weight!
[smilie=l:

country gent
06-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Those old bricks bring a premium around here. People working on an old brick home or buiding find out new bricks may stand out since the color, finish, ageing and fading don't match and want the older bricks for this reason.

Your now taxed several times on every dollar you earn. Income tax when you get it, improve your home and property tax increases, buy something and sales tax save it and your taxed on the interest earned. Then when you die everything is taxed again with your inheritance.

wv109323
06-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Most all taxes have been created in the last 100 years. The Boston Tea Party was caused by a 5% sales tax that the King wanted so that he could provide military protection to the colonies. How times change.
I am surprised that the American people allowed Obama to pass Obamacare in the manner it happened. I don't think the American people will ever revolt.
It is easy to spend somebody else's money.

Thundarstick
06-07-2018, 08:51 PM
At least in a consumption state (sales tax) the illegals get hammered like every one else, even if they did get payed cash under the table!

MT Gianni
06-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Montana has no state sales tax, though resort towns can add one if they call it something else. {Red Lodge, West Yellowstone and Whitefish come to mind}. Every other legislative session the Republican party proposes to add a sales tax without removing any other taxes and it gets shot down.

bob208
06-07-2018, 09:22 PM
I also like this new cry of free collage education for every one. only thing is some body has to pay for it.

uncrichie
06-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Regardless what others have posted about the highest gasoline tax, Pennsylvania is the reigning king of taxes at $.58 per gallon. The majority of the tax is not used for road and bridge upkeep as you would think its used to pay the salaries of the State Police and other General fund issues.

alamogunr
06-07-2018, 09:38 PM
Ha, we've got you beat, here it's 9.46% sales tax, but no income tax because they get you everywhere else.

The Tennessee state sales tax is 7.00%. Local option sales tax, averages 2.45%. Most counties that I'm familiar with are as high as 2.75%. There is some relief on certain foodstuffs but I'm not sure how that works.

aws1963
06-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Most all taxes have been created in the last 100 years. The Boston Tea Party was caused by a 5% sales tax that the King wanted so that he could provide military protection to the colonies. How times change.
I am surprised that the American people allowed Obama to pass Obamacare in the manner it happened. I don't think the American people will ever revolt.
It is easy to spend somebody else's money.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

-Alexis de Tocqueville-

pworley1
06-07-2018, 10:40 PM
In Mississippi the tax would be at least 7%. Some locations have higher local taxes.

samari46
06-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Good friend who's church was going to build a new building was asking a dollar a brick from it's members. Since they just tore down an old brick building on company property he asked if he could have some of the bricks. The ok was given and easily he spent a week collecting the old bricks. Donated them to the building fund. Over 1000 and he took them home cleaned the old mortar off. Told me he'd never do that again. the old building was bulldozed into a pile and used as landfill. Frank

Petrol & Powder
06-08-2018, 06:56 AM

Same as a the old one!
It's a sales tax not a brick tax.

toallmy
06-08-2018, 07:58 AM
It took me a while , but I finally got it . I first purchased my home 25 years ago , and I figure in 5-10 years I will have paid for it again in property taxes . Although Virginia is a common wealth it seams pretty uncommon to keep the wealth .

Petrol & Powder
06-08-2018, 10:03 AM
It took me a while , but I finally got it . I first purchased my home 25 years ago , and I figure in 5-10 years I will have paid for it again in property taxes . Although Virginia is a common wealth it seams pretty uncommon to keep the wealth .
As a fellow Virginian I understand what you are saying but I have family in the northeast and you don't even want to think about their real estate tax.
BUT, as others have correctly pointed out, government needs money to operate and the get that money from taxes. A reduction in some type of tax will simply be met with an increase in another type of tax.

Some states don't have state income tax but have high sales tax. Some states have high real estate taxes but lower personal property tax or no personal property tax. There's no free lunch.

toallmy
06-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Very true it could be worse .

JoeJames
06-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Arkansas sales tax plus local city sales tax here = 10.25%. Chaw on that!

Omega
06-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Rocks aren't free there taxed also. They had maybe 15 different kinds rocks in huge piles. I no longer cast because of medical reasons. The lead I have is worth 1.00 a pound I needed it to weigh 125lb paid 25 dollers for the bricks not 125.00 for lead. 100 year old brick was the cheapest way.

It's pretty obvious you have never filled an umbrella weight!
[smilie=l:I used Quikrete, I put a thick plastic liner in each of the 4 umbrella sections and poured in the concrete. I used the 40lb bags, it took a bag per section, so the weight is well within your weight range and at around $3-$4 a bag meets the price range as well.

dragon813gt
06-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Regardless what others have posted about the highest gasoline tax, Pennsylvania is the reigning king of taxes at $.58 per gallon. The majority of the tax is not used for road and bridge upkeep as you would think its used to pay the salaries of the State Police and other General fund issues.

Yep, California is the closest. But we’re set to raise them one more time in the next few years. I currently forget when that is.

Like others have said there’s no free lunch. I work all the time w/ a guy that lives in Texas. We make the same hourly rate. And Texas has no income tax. Somehow I bring more money home and I have both state and local income taxes. You really have to look at everything when moving. Some states hammer you on vehicle registrations. PA is the lowest in the nation. And that’s even w/ them being doubled a few years back. The $40 some dollars a year per car is nothing when compared to other states.

Petrol & Powder
06-08-2018, 06:55 PM
I have a friend that is a lot wealthier than I am and his views are far to the left mine.
When I comment about taxes he immediately attempts to steer the conversation to income taxes. Every single time we get into that discussion I have to remind him that we all pay more than just income taxes. Every time I get the discussion back on track, his argument falls apart.
Taxes cannot be viewed as income taxes, sales taxes, real estate taxes, fuel taxes, etc. Taxes must be viewed as a total of their sum.
When comparing taxes between different jurisdictions one must view the TOTAL tax burden between those jurisdictions.

There's no free lunch.

Kenstone
06-08-2018, 08:54 PM
I have a friend that is a lot wealthier than I am and his views are far to the left mine.
When I comment about taxes he immediately attempts to steer the conversation to income taxes. Every single time we get into that discussion I have to remind him that we all pay more than just income taxes. Every time I get the discussion back on track, his argument falls apart.
Taxes cannot be viewed as income taxes, sales taxes, real estate taxes, fuel taxes, etc. Taxes must be viewed as a total of their sum.
When comparing taxes between different jurisdictions one must view the TOTAL tax burden between those jurisdictions.

There's no free lunch.

No, but there is/could be a cheaper lunch somewhere else :coffeecom

Petrol & Powder
06-08-2018, 09:25 PM
No, but there is/could be a cheaper lunch somewhere else :coffeecom

Yep, but is it really cheaper? :D Or just lower taxes, lower incomes, longer commutes, lower quality schools/roads/courts and higher cost of living?
There are places with high real estate and sales taxes but accompanying high wages. Those places would be bad for retirement but may break even for people working. And there are places with low real estate tax, low sales tax but low wages and high fuel taxes - they may be better for retirement but are not good for young income earners.
I think in the end it ends up fairly level.

Geezer in NH
06-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Sales Tax????

RogerDat
06-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Your state has a sales tax, which on your purchase of 12 bricks added $1.87 to the price. Michigan opted to drop property taxes in favor of a higher sales tax. Exempts basic groceries. Not prepared food from restaurants or fast food. State is going to collect taxes to provide state services. Some good, some useful, some not so much, and others poorly executed. Our roads and bridges are 3rd world quality. Our state parks are pretty well done, but fee collections probably make them a money maker.

You guys should move to New Hampshire. No State income tax and no sales tax. The State owns the liquor distribution and liquor stores, just like Al Capone did in Prohibition. There seems to be some parallel there, huh?

Actually double funny. The income tax was enacted to replace the federal tax collected on alcohol when prohibition was passed. It was a trade off. At the time the largest source of federal income was from taxing booze. Make booze illegal and they had to have a replacement income. Now you have the states making money hand over fist by taxing booze, tobacco or legalizing pot.

RogerDat
06-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Petrol and Powder hit the nail on the head. Different tax schemes favor different groups or situations. Generally income and property taxes are progressive (more tax from those that have more) and sales tax or fees are considered semi-regressive. A 5% sales tax on a winter coat may be more money for a high end down jacket vs. a cheap coat but is harder on for the less financially well off person buying a winter coat at K-Mart or Salvation Army.

Taxing wealth or taxing financial activity or taxing specific items are the only choices. The ones that work for a rural farming state may not work well for a high tech manufacturing state. Lot of articles on best places to retire for tax advantage. AARP magazine is full of them.

Kenstone
06-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Yep, but is it really cheaper? :D Or just lower taxes, lower incomes, longer commutes, lower quality schools/roads/courts and higher cost of living?
There are places with high real estate and sales taxes but accompanying high wages. Those places would be bad for retirement but may break even for people working. And there are places with low real estate tax, low sales tax but low wages and high fuel taxes - they may be better for retirement but are not good for young income earners.
I think in the end it ends up fairly level.
Is it really cheaper...yes it is
You would have to have lived a lot of different places to know though, and there's lots of study data that supports it, even in all the scenarios you can dream up.
With respect to your opinion, your posts read like someone living in a high cost of living area and can't/won't move.

Take the last word here if you must, but I'm done with it.
jmo

jonp
06-11-2018, 05:37 PM

Stop that. Haven't you guys had enough problems with flatlanders moving up to take over without you encouraging people? They destroyed VT enough that my wife and I moved 800 miles south to get away from them

thxmrgarand
06-12-2018, 10:59 AM
New Hampshire is the only state that has never had a sales or income tax. Alaska now has none, but it once had an income tax and abolished it. Government is far too large in America today, too large for our government to function as intended by the Constitution. That is our real problem. Government takes from us instead of giving us the option to buy or not as the private sector must do. Government now provides a substantial portion of all health care, housing, and food across America. The people taking those subsidies from government pay little or nothing so there is no natural limit on their demand e.g. they will take all they can get. The government employees involved in each of those programs want to grow the programs, and they do. Government completely avoids common sense, and no one can question that because some part of every program is a perceived benefit to someone who has a lobbyist. Every dollar of government spending, every program, every construction project has powerful supporters and paid lobbyists, but common sense is seen as job-killing and has no lobbyists. Ronald Reagan said, "A government bureau is the nearest thing we'll ever see to eternal life on this earth." He also said, "Federal grants are like rabbits - they multiply like crazy, and when they are out you can't catch them." Send someone to Congress, either political party, and within just a few years their net worth has grown by tens of millions of dollars. And government employees are just as much on the take as elected officials, it's just that the employees are lazier and so happier to accept a little less pay and a little less power. I work on political campaigns much of the time, but it's all to push back against gun control; I have given up hope about anyone bringing common sense to government spending as in the main there is very little support. In every society there will always be people who are motivated to work harder; in a society with much government control those harder working people are motivated by power over everyone else whereas in one with less government control the harder working people are motivated by wanting to own business jets, yachts and the like. It seems that the lazier a person is the more readily they accept someone having power over them in return for the free health care, food, housing, etc. It has always seemed to me that for those who are a bit lazy but still value freedom a sales tax is much easier to accommodate than is an income tax.

Geezer in NH
06-18-2018, 03:29 PM
I moved to NH over 35 years ago. I love the big time naysayers that the property tax is very high.

Not So When I left MA my property tax was around $2900 a year with water and sewer fees around another $1000 per year.

The 6 family across the street paid under rent control Less than $600 per year using 3 times what my 2 family did. water and sewer were also reduced for the 6 family.

Well for water on me, same as the septic system. In fact have 2 wells! Cost about 1/4 to 1/3 over the years. [nothing is free]

My property taxes even 35 years later has not reached what I paid in MA. I have a 2 bedroom ranch and 3 car garage, barn and chicken house on 7+ acres not the little lot in MA.

Wife and I have no state income tax and no state sales tax. Tell me how it's the same?????

We also have constitutional gun rights and carry unlike MA when I even as a sworn officer could not get my wife a carry permit. THAT was why we had to move to protect her.

Thank God we went to a FREE state.