PDA

View Full Version : How Long Before Going Back?

daengmei
06-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm recovering from open heart quintuple bypass surgery, been 5 days now. 5 stints just wouldn't stay open. I have some soreness and they won't let me drive for 4-6 weeks. How long on average did it take before you could shoot? Just moving myself around gives me new pains.

Preacher Jim
06-04-2018, 05:35 PM
For my brother it was 6 months before anything bigger than 22lr .almost a year before he could shoot his 30-30.

daengmei
06-04-2018, 06:32 PM
wow. I know right now I'm protecting my chest. That sounds like a long time for my shooting. I sure don't want to aggravate anything.

Geezer in NH
06-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Living is most important to your family Be thankful you can keep them happy.

Shooting is fun but family is MOST important.

Truly living for them is what is important.

Calamity Jake
06-04-2018, 07:54 PM
I waited the 6 weeks after my bipass, then only light loads hand guns.

Beerd
06-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Don't count on doing any shooting this coming hunting season :(

bedbugbilly
06-05-2018, 08:26 AM
It's been 22 years since I had my by=pass surgery - everyone recovers differently and some faster than others.

I had a rough time with mine - a number of weeks after I had it and I was back to the surgeon for a check-up, I was told that they were happy that I made it off the table. It was then that I told him that I remembered going towards a very comforting light and my Dad was waiting for me, telling me I had to go back as it wasn't my time yet. (My Dad had passed a year previous to my surgery). I remember the surgeon smiling at my wife and I and then all he said was that he understood what I was saying and for me not to question it, but take it as a sign that I still had things to do.

I had to sleep in a recliner for six weeks afterwards and there were some days that I felt like I could just close my eyes and that would be it.
but, with the help of my loving wife, we got through it. I was sore for quite a while and couldn't stand having a tight shirt against my chest or a collar buttoned. Shooting? I think it was probably a year before I shot a gun and then only a 22 for a while.

My point? Shooting will always be there but give yourself time to heal - both physically and mentally. It's a serious and extensive operation. Don't be to anxious to get back to normal activities as it takes a long time for the sternum to mend when it's been opened up and wired shut.

Geezer says it all . . . your family is the most important thing and they still have you and you still have them. Yea, I enjoy shooting a lot, but these days, I put it on the back burner when it comes to friends and family and spending time with them . . . and I never pass up the chance to let them know how much they mean to me. For most who have had by-pass, it changes your life dramatically. You've been given a second chance . . exercise, change your eating habits, quit smoking if you do and live for your family and not for shooting . . . shooting is a secondary pleasure. Your body will tell you when it's time to start again.

Some will read what I'm saying gand think it is a bunch of "mush" . . . but the majority of those who have had something such as by-pass or another life treating illness or episode will understand. I am so thankful for the "time" I'be been given since my surgery and I hope that I have used it wisely and if tomorrow should be my last day, then so be it. This morning, I sat and had an extra cup of coffee with my little poodle snuggling on my lap as my wife and I visited and watched the news . . . simple things that I will never have regrets doing instead of being in the garage at the reloading bench bench or out shooting somewhere alone.

Take time to heal, enjoy your family and friends and when the time is right to play with your hobbies, do so. But above all, don't forget to say thanks to Him that watched over you through all of what you went through.

Good luck in your recovery and I hope you are feeling much better soon!

lightman
06-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Thankfully I have not needed this surgery, knock on wood, but from having other surgery I recommend doing what the Dr suggest. It sounds like you are doing well and you want to keep it that way. Good Luck!

Pepe Ray
06-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Hi there; My quad bypass was in '02. It made me a new man. So much so that I figured that I had another 20 years. WRONG! Everything went great for 10 years. Then a gradual decline set in. In retrospect, it was my own fault. I didn't follow my doctors advice. I didn't change my life style as he recommended. Mainly I continued my primitive eating habits. Bad mistake! Yes, I was happy as a clam but I'm paying the price now. I won't go into the gruesome details, but my recommendation is to "eat to live NOT live to eat". Good luck and God Bless, - - -Pepe Ray

snuffy
06-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Hi there; My quad bypass was in '02. It made me a new man. So much so that I figured that I had another 20 years. WRONG! Everything went great for 10 years. Then a gradual decline set in. In retrospect, it was my own fault. I didn't follow my doctors advice. I didn't change my life style as he recommended. Mainly I continued my primitive eating habits. Bad mistake! Yes, I was happy as a clam but I'm paying the price now. I won't go into the gruesome details, but my recommendation is to "eat to live NOT live to eat". Good luck and God Bless, - - -Pepe Ray

12-16-14 was the date for my C.A.B.G.,(Cardiac Arterial Bypass Graft). 2 arteries were bypassed with a vein from my right leg. The LAD,(Left Anterior Descending) also called the widow maker was bypassed using the existing mammary artery.

As for recovery, I could shoot a small 9MM, my Ruger LC-9 from a bench in 8 weeks. Serious shooting like a big bore rifle was 6 months, again from a bench. I didn't hunt in '14, holding a rifle off-hand was just too much. I'm also a diabetic, so healing was slower than most others. The pain of the split sternum is intense at first. They gave me a nice heart shaped pillow to hug when you expect a cough, but those sneak attack sneezes is what gets you if you can't grab the pillow in time![smilie=b:

You've probably already had a long talk with a dietician. He/she has told you what kind of diet you should be eating. STICK TO IT! If you do it will extend your life a long time. Yeah I know it's hard to order rabbit food salads rather than a greasy pizza, but the rewards are there. Reading labels to discover fat content in any foods takes a longer time in the grocery store than it did before, but once you find a low fat item, remember it next time you shop.

You want the bypasses to stay open, and more important you do NOT want more arteries to get clogged up.

Have I towed the line as to what I should eat according to the dietician? For the most part yes. As a matter of fact I just happen to have a dietician in my family, my daughter-in-law. I get frequent updates from her, advice on what's new on the market, and frequent scoldings. I also must watch my carbohydrate intake because of the diabetes. Double whammy!;-)

woodbutcher
06-06-2018, 08:56 PM
:-D Had my tripple bypass 6-18-08.Still doing fine.As far as rehab went,I was back to driving my truck in one week.Cutting,hauling,busting and stacking fire wood by the end of the second week,and have never looked back.Never had any pain from the sternum.End of the first month I was invited to the local shooting range by a friend.Had a ball with his `28 Thompson.That will put a grin on your face fer sure.
As for diet,I try to do the best that I can with the funds available.YMMV.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo