PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you bale a spark from your muffler.

Wolfer
06-02-2018, 07:29 PM

My old Massey Ferguson 65 model of 1958 is notorious for throwing sparks. Most of them were.

Ive got to get another tractor.

jonp
06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
At least that wasn't in a barn!

blackthorn
06-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Mosquito smudge???

rancher1913
06-02-2018, 08:00 PM
seen that from faulty bearings in the baler as well. the old massy combines with the wooden bearing blocks could ruin a harvest real quick as well

OldBearHair
06-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Somebody will tell you how to use course steel wool with a sieve screen on an oversize extension on the tailpipe. Cheaper than a new tractor. LOL

Wolfer
06-02-2018, 08:07 PM
I don't have a barn to put them in but if I did they would set out a few days first. This one had been dumped 45 min or more before I seen it start smoking.
Last year I saw a spark go in the baler which started smoking but I got it dumped. Hay was a little green and it went out. This hay wasn't mowed last year and had a lot of dead trash in it. If it gets a spark there's no choking it out.

Goatwhiskers
06-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Fire trucks can't haul enough water to put out a roll that's burning. I've seen more than one barn burned to the ground from hay baled too green that heated up and caught fire. GW

lefty o
06-02-2018, 11:18 PM
spark arrester!

leeggen
06-02-2018, 11:41 PM
Here in Tn. every once in awhile a bale will spont. combust Some of the farmers will leave the rolls set out a few days and they get a little rain then real good hot sun, next thing smokie roll. Few years ago we had a flood and the neighbors 12 rolls of hay came to rest in our pasture. Two days later the steam was rolling off them, no smoke but a lot of steam.
CD

DCM
06-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Somebody will tell you how to use course steel wool with a sieve screen on an oversize extension on the tailpipe. Cheaper than a new tractor. LOL

This. Very coarse, the stainless scrubbies than commercial foodservice places use are perfect for this. Make sure the arrestor is well oversized to prevent backpressure build up.

WILCO
06-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Wow. Good job beating back the mosquitoes.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-03-2018, 10:40 AM
At least that wasn't in a barn!

strange you mention that...Yesterday morning about 10 miles from me.

Barn blaze reported Saturday morning
Jun 2, 2018

A Saturday morning barn fire was reported off State Highway 22 between Hutchinson and Biscay. Firefighters were on the scene.
These pictures were submitted by Brittany Baker around 7 a.m.
This story will be updated with more information when it's available.

http://www.crowrivermedia.com/hutchinsonleader/news/public_safety/barn-blaze-reported-saturday-morning/article_f6dba8b3-15cb-5ec0-96f2-162cefcf95c9.html

Texas by God
06-03-2018, 11:09 AM
After breaking down 4 times in 50 acres; I secretly wanted my baler to catch fire. I'm sort of kidding.
We lost a barn full when I was a kid; so sad. I still have a souvenir from that fire. Some hay melted/burned into a glass/lava form.

shdwlkr
06-03-2018, 01:33 PM
years ago when I was a kid growing up in New York State we had a wet year for putting in hay. We used a lot of salt on the bales and no barn fires but the cows sure ate a lot more hay then wasting it.

Wolfer
06-03-2018, 02:45 PM
A little salt helps a not so good meal for me also.

Rick N Bama
06-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Fire trucks can't haul enough water to put out a roll that's burning. I've seen more than one barn burned to the ground from hay baled too green that heated up and caught fire. GW

The Volunteer FD I was in years ago had a penetrating nozzle that would reach through a roll of hay. It worked, but it took a lot of work and a lot of water to put the fire out. The best thing to do is to just allow it to burn if it can be done safely.

MaryB
06-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Neighbor across the street took a lightning strike to his horse barn. Hit the lightning rod and the heat caused by it traveling down the wire started a bale on fire that was up against it. He pushed it out into the field with his loader bucket on the tractor and save the barn. Hay was under a lean to on the side that faces away from me. The flash and bang were simultaneous so I knew a close in strike. I was getting ready for bed so went to lock the front door and saw the smoke coming up from behind the barn and called the fire dept then him. I had everything in the house unplugged except the toaster and new fancy toasters have electronics in them... yup it is fried from the pulse... With 2 towers, a 43' tall vertical antenna, another antenna that the tip is 35 feet in the air I never leave stuff connected!

Hardcast416taylor
06-04-2018, 02:41 AM
I recall a barn fire back in the early 60`s on a neighbors farm. They were blowing chopped hay into one end of an old wooden barn. They rushed the cure time in the fields and went ahead to chop the wagons full and take it to the blower set up at the barn. About a week later it combusted from the green hay piled in the loft. This fire started, as it seems all fires do, in the middle of the night. They were lucky to get the pen kept animals in the barn basement out. The fire lasted nearly 3 days to finally burn out. On our farm we also had a MF 65 gas tractor, never had a spark problem with it in the 15 years we had it. We square baled all our hay and straw and filled 2 barns with the bales. We made sure the hay and the straw was dry before baling it. I`ve seen wheat straw get very warm to the touch if it was baled and had greens in the straw from grass or weeds.Robert

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2018, 06:46 AM
yup it almost doesn't make sense that wet hay will cause fire danger more then dry. Worked at a coal fired power plant for 10 years and it was the same with coal. About all of our bunker fires and coal pile fires were caused by wet coal.

justashooter
06-04-2018, 01:22 PM
seen it once or twice. good alfalfa to waste.

Oily
06-04-2018, 04:27 PM
In the oilfield we have engines that will build carbon and then throw sparks onto grass pastures. Not a good thing. We run the engine at full throttle and then squirt Marvel Mystery oil or ATF into intake until it almost chokes itself then wait for the smoke to clear and then do it again. Usually knocks some pretty good amount of carbon out where you can control it. Sometimes big chunks. Waukesha 4 and 6 cyl that are a little wore are really susceptible to carboning up.

Wolfer
06-04-2018, 07:41 PM
The reason I need another tractor and the reason I don't put a spark arrester is because my tractor isn't big enough. My round baler requires a 40 hp min on the pto. My Massey put out slightly more than 40 hp when it was new in 58. I have a fixed chamber baler so I can't bale a smaller bale. The only way I can get a bale tight is to run it wide open until it threatens to kill the motor. Which it did twice. This old tractor will not hold up to this kind of abuse. This is why I'm not worried about a spark arrester nor do I intend to abuse it any more. I'm in the market for a 70/100 hp tractor before next haying season.
Ive put up my hay in square bales for several years. I'm 62 and I can see the day coming when I don't want to haul square bales. As a matter of fact I can look back on it. ��I bought this baler a couple years ago hoping one of my tractors would pull it but suspecting that they wouldn't. Well, they won't.