PDA

View Full Version : .308 recomendations

compass will
09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I got a couple weeks before I will be ready, but I would like your recommendations.

I am picking up a Weatherby Varmint Special Vanguard this week.
This gun has the 1 in 12 twist with 22" heavy barrel. I picked this over the Savage, Remington and Howa because I like the stock better, and it just feels nice to me. ( I do know Howa makes the Weatherby)

What I plan to do is break it in with some condom bullets then start shooting some cast. This will be bench rest shooting at paper, at 100 and 200 meters (cast bullet assoc. matches).

I hope that with this groups knowledge, and my desire to do good, we might be able to compete without years of learning curve.

What boolit do you think I should start with? I assume I will be using gas checks.
If paper patching will get me better groups, I would be willing to try it.
I have wheel weight, and straight lead to cast with.

I do like Lee mold prices and have no problem casting with the Lee molds I have.
RCBS molds are within budget also.

What size would you size the boolits at? (I know, I should cast the chamber first)

thanks.

docone31
09-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I went with the Lee C312/186. I size it to .308 then two wraps of Meade Tracing paper. Size to .311.
I like.
good luck.

compass will
09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
so I cast it, then size it to .308 with my Lyman. Then Do I add 2 wraps and make sure it comes out to .311, or do I need to also buy a .311 and run it through the lyman again?
Or do you use a Lee die for the final sizing?

I am game to paper patching. I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting.

docone31
09-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Will, it is fairly simple. I use a Lee Push Thru die for the .311. I also use the Lee Push Thru Die for the .308.
I get the Meade Tracing Paper from Walmart. I use the large mold so when I size to .308, it has almost no lube grooves. I also do not use a gas check when doing this. Do not crimp when seating. My .30cals enjoy .311 sizing in plain castings also. I push them fairly hot, minimum Lee Loads on the sheet with the dies.
You will enjoy paper patching. It does indeed produce results. I can wrap 50 in a sitting, let dry, and load in the afternoon the next day. Wait untill you see how the bore shines! People at the range come up and say, "Duh, waz dat ting?" It takes a few rounds to dial it in, but when you do, it is worth it. I use water quenched wheel weights for the prime casting. Make sure you rub the flash off the sprue mark before patching. To size to .308, I either do it dry, or with a little dish soap. Comes right off with hot water.
I use a cigarette roller to wrap the castings. I also use 45* on the ends.
Have some fun with it. I have not had pressure issues with .311.