PDA

View Full Version : Very sad day for me

poppy42
05-31-2018, 01:38 PM
It’s a very sad day for me. I buried my German Shepherd today. She had been my loyal companion for almost 16 years. I loved her dearly and she is deeply missed by all who knew her. Anyone who doesn’t think that dogs have feelings need only look at my two Bullmastiff’s mope around the house looking for their friend Duchess. Good bye my friend till I see you again on the rainbow bridge!

toallmy
05-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Try to remember the happiness you shared with your friend .

Smoke4320
05-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Condolences my friend .. it takes time to get over the loss then go searching for a new companion

Thundarstick
05-31-2018, 02:02 PM
I'm afraid I'll be walking that path all too soon with our old dog. God bless you!

marek313
05-31-2018, 02:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. I had to put down my yorkie last year after 14 years. Wasnt fun for anyone in the house.
Even though I had another dog my wife recently ended up adopting border collie from a military family. Father was getting deployed and his daughters cancer came back so he decided to put him up for adoption as they couldnt give that dog proper attention. I wasnt crazy at first as i wasnt ready for another dog but now I'm glad she took him in. Really good and smart dog. Never had a border collie but this one seems really intelligent and hes becoming my buddy following me everywhere. I called him "Ruger" :bigsmyl2:

Preacher Jim
05-31-2018, 02:35 PM
My prayers to you and your family as the loss of a friend of those years is a hard as loss of any friend.

osteodoc08
05-31-2018, 03:22 PM
My family’s condolences on such a huge loss. We lost our 16 year old lab Scout to a stroke a year and a half ago. We were so blessed to have her in our lives and I’m sure she has blessed your family equally. Hold on to those times brother as they seem to bring out the best in us.

hwilliam01
05-31-2018, 03:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My avatar is a GSD named Samantha....best **** dog I have ever known and my traveling companion. I can't imagine life without her...and GSD are SOOO smart! So sorry!

Bill

nagantguy
05-31-2018, 04:17 PM
The pack will be weaker without her; but the strength of what she taught will remain!
Everyone’s grief is unique; but I also but down our sheapard the best dog ever , he protected the girls and livestock when I was gone ,he laid under my killed hanging in the barn so nothing else would eat them , he defused a trespassing situation before it went ugly; I did not believe the guys story; everything about him said “threat” the Shepard barked at him once and went over and sat down leaning against the guy and wagging his tail! We’d had a rash of tool and ATV thefts in the area; this guy had a broke down quad and a chainsaw; he really was the ladies nephew who owns the property behind us who lives in Spain, he wasn’t a thief or threat and our Shepard knew it!
When he passed I had a massive pallet fire to thaw the ground, we burned some sage and in the spring put an apple tree over him; our current dogs do not lift their leg on that tree. It’s if they know that a mighty pack member lays there!
Another time a neighbors Great Dane got loose and decided that because our goats ran from him they must be game or sport; our Shepard again could tell this intruder didn’t mean harm just doing what young male dogs do, so he ran into the field took that Dane by the throat and marched him all the way home; never broke skin, never let go. When the Dane was back in his yard; 1/4 mike away our Shepard let go ,barked once and that Dane laid down on his back and showed his belly.
I did not mean to High Jack your thread of loss; just wanted to share memories and let you know that even though your lady is gone what she left behind can never be taken!!!!

curdog
05-31-2018, 04:20 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to your family at this time. Sorry for your loss I know its hard...........................Curdog

Grmps
05-31-2018, 04:22 PM
dogs are one of the very few beings/creatures that can/will love you unconditionally. It is a great sadness that their time with us is so short. Like all we have loved that have passed, they will always live in our hearts.

douglasskid
05-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Sorry for your loos. They become family, great friends!

smokeywolf
05-31-2018, 05:29 PM
We're hoping to put off walking in your shoes as long as possible. Timber was diagnosed with bone cancer about 2 months ago. We have him on some pretty wild herbs and supplements, hoping to stave off the cancer spreading.

A piece of my heart goes with them when they leave me.

poppy42, you have our deepest, most profound sympathy.

poppy42
05-31-2018, 06:20 PM
I want to thank everyone for their kind words. There’s so many stories I coud post about Duchess, but today I can’t. It seems that when I start to talk about her I find I have a hard time seeing.it seems that something gets in my eyes and my vision gets blurry. I would just like to end this post by saying that I’ve always felt that dogs make better humans than people! I’ve never had a dog steal from me, lie to me, cheat me, turn their back on me when I was down or Desert me when I needed them the most. I can’t say that about most people I’ve known, including family and some I’ve called friends. The exception to that has been those members of this forum I’ve had the pleasure to have contact with.
My wife and I Thank you all so much
Ray Jankoski
Poppy42

RogerDat
05-31-2018, 06:43 PM
A good dog reminds us to be the person they think we are. Hardest thing is at the end doing what is best for them and letting go. We do it because we owe them that for the love and devotion they have given us.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-31-2018, 07:24 PM
well you actually give me hope that my German Shepard can make it a few more years , she is 12 and the vet started preparing us for her passing , thing is she has hardly even started slowing down.

I wonder if anyone who thinks there is a better dog has ever had a German Shepard. I have never had a better dog.

Idaho45guy
05-31-2018, 07:42 PM
Very sorry for your loss! I have a 12yr old lab/great dane mix that doesn't have much time left and I am not looking forward to the huge amount of emotional pain that is coming.

bensonwe
05-31-2018, 07:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think of myself kind of tuff but tears came to my eyes when I read of your loss. Dogs are such great great companions. Try to remember the fun your pupdog gave ya.

GhostHawk
05-31-2018, 09:14 PM
Sorry Poppy.

Been there. Took me years before I could talk about. More years before I could even think about getting another dog.

Take the time you need.

MaryB
05-31-2018, 09:31 PM
Sorry for your loss... pets are family to me and when I lose one it leaves a hole in your heart

lightman
06-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Really sorry for your loss. Love those other two even more, if thats possible.

DCP
06-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Its a hard time for any Dog owner. With time it will get better.

hwilliam01
06-01-2018, 07:02 PM
A dog is the only creature that loves you MORE than it loves itself...

I'll illustrate my point with the verse of a song I wrote about my GSD. Hopefully it will put a smile on your face...

Who loves you most, Your dog or your bride?
Put both in your trunk of your car and go for a ride
Won't take long, 20 to 30 minutes should do
Open your trunk and see which one is truly happy to see you...

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I've buried several dogs and it hurts terribly every time. The bottom line is we generally out live them and that pain will occur.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that I gave every one of them the best life possible and I'm proud of that.

Take comfort in the fact that you lived up to your part of that relationship.

RED BEAR
06-01-2018, 07:46 PM
very sorry for your loss. it can be a terrable thing to lose a close friend and member of the family. try to rember all the good things you shared.

MaryB
06-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Some cats can be so dog like they do the same thing. Tigger was that way... met me at the door, had to sniff and see who I was with or petting, played fetch... and he was my constant companion. It has been 2 years and I still miss him terribly. Night he died he struggled to the bed, had a seizure in front of me and I held him as he passed away. He wanted to be with me...

lefty o
06-01-2018, 09:42 PM
that sucks. on the other hand anything over 11yrs is a good run for a GSD.

10-x
06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Sorry for your loss. Put our Grey down in Feb. We still look for him to greet us when coming in the door. What makes it worse his buddies come by looking for him. Unsure how long it will take them to figure he's gone.