PDA

View Full Version : Beer Coaster Wads

BobInAus
05-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Good evening gents,
I have a Winchester 32 Winchester Special plain base mold that I have been casting with in # 2 alloy and SPG lube. The velocity I have been operating at is approximately 1300fps. A friend told me recently that I should try cardboard wads on the base of the boolet to help increase the velocity without a leading problem raising its ugly head. I figure that the vast amount of knowledge out there would be able to assist me in this regard. Can wadding in this manner help with increasing charges and velocity with out a leading problem? Any assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

UKShootist
05-28-2018, 09:34 AM
In my ignorance I have to say that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I often see references to making wads out of waxed milk cartons but these are a thing of the past in the UK so beer mats might just be a handy alternative.

Jack Stanley
05-28-2018, 09:38 AM
I've done the same using pasteboard such as that used for food packaging , it does help some .

Jack

JBinMN
05-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Interesting idea!
:-)

I wonder if PP (Paper Patching) your boolits would not be just as good or perhaps better...???

Anyway, Here is an "archived" topic here at CB.GL.Forum where this sort of thing is discussed:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?21089-Velocity-with-wad-under-plain-base-bullets

Maybe folks can read up on what was said about this about a decade ago, while waiting to see if anyone posts any new ideas, info, or developments on the topic.

I will be looking forward to any new insights about this idea as well.
:)

P.S. - Beer/Cocktail "coasters", or "mats" have been available to me, and some times in abundance ;), for some years & if they work well for something like this, I perhaps will join in and try it myself sometime in the future. Better than using them as projectiles in a tavern/bar/nightclub, or for building houses with the square ones when bored, anyway.... Or, even their original purpose,as well... LOL

Wayne Smith
05-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Unless you glue the wad to the boolit you MUST use a full case of powder. These are commonly used in BP loading, but that is always a full case of powder. You do not want that wad bouncing around in your case!

BobInAus
05-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the link JBinMN, looks like some interesting reading.

Bob

BobInAus
05-28-2018, 09:56 PM
A full case of smokeless powder is out of the question. I realise there may be a chance of ringing the breach if the wad was not sitting tight against the base of the boolit. Would using a hot glue gun to glue the wads to the base of the boolits leave glue along the barrel or would the charge consume the glue residue? Thanks for the idea Wayne Smith.

Bob

nvbirdman
05-28-2018, 10:03 PM
If you're going to go to the trouble of cutting out the base wads and gluing them on, you might as well buy a gas check mould and some gas checks.

BobInAus
05-28-2018, 11:41 PM
nvbirdman, I have only just acquired the Winchester 32 Winchester Special mold and I like the shape / looks. It is plain based and I want to see how it will go on game if I can a bit more velocity than 1300fps without leading. I thought of trying paper patching but not too sure of what to do with the tail twist as its not hollow base. I am sure someone out there has had this situation before - any clues?
Bob

JBinMN
05-29-2018, 05:12 AM
If you are going to look into PP, you most likely will find more answers here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Smokeless-Paper-Patching

I think both the wad idea & the PP are very interesting & have been reading about both off & on now for a little while. I hope that whichever you decide to do, that sharing your trip thru the learning curve(s) would be great if you want to take the time to share.

From what I have read, I gather from some folks that the twisted tail of paper( without a hollow base, but using a flat base boolit) gets flattened and does not have any effect on the bullet as it leaves the muzzle end & others say that it can. Considering the pressure applied by the igniting powder in the thousands of PSI/CUP, I would imagine that the tail is pretty flat as the boolit travels down the bore & then as the boolit leaves the muzzle, the paper just shreds/shears off while the boolit having an untouched base, continues on flight without "yaw". If the boolit had a good base to begin with, it continues to have one as it travels...
That is "my" thinking & understanding right now, and of course I could be wrong.

{ I like to do research on things to find out as much as I can before taking the time investment of trying out something that I may not end up liking in the end. After doing the research, if the end does not justify the trip getting there( means), then I usually will just stick to what I know works. My days of experimenting & trying to "find a better way" are becoming limited & may just be pretty much over at my age & with my health issues now, so I will leave most of the exploration of some things to others with more of the "exploring/discovery spirit"... I have used most of mine up in other adventures... LOL but it has taken its' toll I might add... ;) }

Anyway, IMO, it would likely be best to check all that yourself & that is why I posted the link to the Smokeless PP forum for ya. Your questions about PP would likely be answered more swiftly there than here in this Castboolits subforum.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide to do.

P.S. - Here is the Smokeless PP forum archives that may be useful to you as well... :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-62.html

05-29-2018, 07:26 AM
I suspect paper patching will give you what you want. There is a learning curve involved, but it's not too steep. Any investment is meager and the results are worth it. Will eliminate any possible leading and does wonderful things for the bore.

Jack Stanley
05-29-2018, 07:28 PM
When I was using the idea the residual lube on the base of the bullet kept the wad in contact with the bullet . I never did get one to shake off inside the case ................

Jack

webfoot10
05-29-2018, 10:52 PM
Just fill your charged case with RiceKrispes cereal. Fill to top of case so the bullet crushes the
cereal down on the powder. The cereal just turns to a powder and blows out of the barrel.
I do this with .303 British and have never had a leading problem. I use 3 coats of Ben's
Liquid Lube on all my cast bullets. No leading and good accuracy, what's not to like.

UKShootist
05-30-2018, 04:20 AM
Just fill your charged case with RiceKrispes cereal. Fill to top of case so the bullet crushes the
cereal down on the powder. The cereal just turns to a powder and blows out of the barrel.
I do this with .303 British and have never had a leading problem. I use 3 coats of Ben's
Liquid Lube on all my cast bullets. No leading and good accuracy, what's not to like.

At last! Someone has discovered something good about Rice Krispies! :lol:

Mr_Sheesh
05-30-2018, 05:13 AM
I imagine Kapok or Dacron wadding would work too, to keep the cardboard wad in place. I imagine Cream of Wheat would do, too.

Wayne Smith
05-30-2018, 07:51 AM
I would be very careful with COW in a necked case. Any non-flowing substance that has to enter the shoulder presents an opportunity for pressure spikes. I might be willing to try grex, but nothing less flowing than that.

Personally, I've a jug of WC867 - and Unique. I'd make a case full of powder.

Larry Gibson
05-30-2018, 09:55 AM
A wad used at the base of the bullet is there to protect the base of softer alloyed bullets. With #2 alloyed bullets it is doubtful any benefit will be derived from the use of the wad. If your bullets are sized correctly to fit the chamber throat leading should not be an issue with SPG lube.

WheelgunConvert
05-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Personally, I've a jug of WC867 - and Unique. I'd make a case full of powder.

Is this a binary recipe you’re using?

BobInAus
05-31-2018, 05:17 AM
Larry Gibson, I was hoping to reach somewhere between 1800 and 2000fps. Do you still think the # 2 alloy and SPG is enough to resist leading?
Bob

BobInAus
05-31-2018, 05:19 AM
webfoot10, do you know if RiceKrispes is anything like rice bubbles serial here?
Bob

AntiqueSledMan
05-31-2018, 06:16 AM
Hello Bob,

I think I'd try a plain base gas check made from an aluminum soda pop can.

AntiqueSledMan

Larry Gibson
05-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Yes, however accuracy with the PBd bullet at that velocity level may not be what is desired. If PBd cast bullets shot well between 1800 to 2000 fps we all would be using them for that.

As mentioned, a GCd bullet will be best for that level. The bullet you should do extremely well in the 1200 to 1600 fps range.

dondiego
05-31-2018, 12:04 PM
webfoot10, do you know if RiceKrispes is anything like rice bubbles serial here?
Bob

Ricebubbles sounds about right for Ric Krispies since they are full of bubbles!

webfoot10
05-31-2018, 09:37 PM
Bob
Might be the same thing. RiceKrispes are just puffed up rice kernels. That's why they just
crush down to a powder when the bullet is seated. It will smell like your baking cookies when
you shoot them. I shoot 26 grs of AA2520 powder and the 150 gr, ranchdog bullet in my
30/30 lubed with Ben's Liquid Lube. No leading , I'am getting about 1850 fps out of that
load. Can cover the group at fifty yds with a nickel. The RiceKrispes work for me. Give them
a try, whats to lose.
webfoot10