PDA

View Full Version : Metal chips in new RCBS sizer

akajun
05-25-2018, 09:32 PM
A young friend of mine is getting into casting and was proud to tell me he burchaded a new rcbs lubrisizer. Today he emails me this saying it was inside the lube reservoir and noticed thankfully before he put lube in it.

nagantguy
05-25-2018, 09:41 PM
Wow! Sometimes things do slip through quality control but it sure seems like QC let’s a lot slip recently, I just bought a new set of RCBS dies in 223; and they scratched every case so bad in the resizing recapping die as to make them almost unusable; I’m talking deep gouges three quarters around the case from under the shoulder to almost to the rim; so I called and RCBS still has a heck of a customer care /warranty department they told send it in for polishing.
I got a new die in return so I’m happy but it would be nice to buy a new quality name brand item and have it be right out of the box.

jcren
05-26-2018, 09:42 AM
There was another thread on this recently. Appears RCBS considers this normal and recommended blowing it out with air if I remember correctly.

mold maker
05-26-2018, 01:33 PM
More bean counters saving money letting you finish the mfg job. Expect it to get worse. How long before they start shipping kits for us to assemble, or maybe just the maching prints?

lightman
05-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Yeah, there was another thread recently about this. Really sad to see a great company like RCBS sink to this level. It should flush out ok, with either compressed air of liquid solvent. Still a shame to see this.

john.k
05-26-2018, 07:43 PM
Ive seen new cars with machining swarf in gearboxes and other places.Often sticks to magnetic plugs on the first service,which is why the dealerships want to do the first service......they can hide from the bad publicity.

beemer
05-26-2018, 08:16 PM
I bought a new Lyman 4500 about 9-10 years ago. It too had chips in the reservoir under the die chamber. Looks like we are going to have to take everything apart and do the final inspection.

Dave

nicholst55
05-26-2018, 08:44 PM
There is no QC in current American manufacturing. They figure that handling the returns is less expensive than maintaining a QC Department. Caveat emptor.

EDG
05-27-2018, 08:19 AM
QC departments are totally worthless and add NO value to the product.
Six sigma process control will guarantee almost 100% perfect parts. When you have that level of process control any quality operation is a waste since they add nothing but cost. You cannot inspect quality into a product.

randyrat
05-29-2018, 07:06 AM
QC used to be part of OR work with R&D or R&D used QC to improve products.
Now if there are not enough returns they can figure out ways to cut cost, until the return numbers start climbing.

Unless China finds a way to completely copy the product and put you out of business, this cost US billions

wquiles
06-02-2018, 09:21 AM
The other recent thread on this problem was mine - you can read and see photos here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?360180-Got-my-new-RCBS-lube-sizer-today-and-got-a-little-extra

jmort
06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
If they have not already done so, this should be another RCBS product outsourced to China. I bet the china production could eventually ship a clean product. That is crazy. Never seen anything like that in a consumer product.