PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first 45 colt

wendyj
05-25-2018, 07:17 PM
I used a 8 inch iron skillet and melted and flexed the ingots I had. First 10 or so going to go back in. They look crappy. Some turned out so so but not what I was looking for. New Lee mold. I need a deeper pot and a smaller ladle than a kitchen ladle. I enjoyed it so time to buy bottom pour and better mold. This was a Lee 2 cavity. Top was last few. Bottom to cull. 221025221026

bangerjim
05-26-2018, 12:47 AM
Try heating your molds with an electric hot plate to FULL CAASTING temp B4 ever pouring your 1st boolit. You will be amazed! I get perfect drops with the 1st one every time. I use Lee bottom pour pots....easy and simple to get perfect boolits, but ladle pouring from a skillet will work also - as long as your Pb is hot enough. Once you get hooked you WILL WANT a casting pot!!!!!! Leave the skillets to the cook in the kitchen! Lee pots are very inexpensive and work VERY well.

Now you need to powder coat those bad boys for grease-less, smoke-less, lead-free shooting!!!!!

Once you PC you will never go back to grease lubing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bangerjim

wendyj
05-26-2018, 08:33 AM
I've got to buy some lead and more equipment now. I did enjoy it but I've got to buy a sizing die and lube or powder coat.

bangerjim
05-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Lubing or PC’ing does not make the decision of having to size with the correct sizing die......YOUR gun barrel determines that. Slug your barrel and find out exactly what size you need. “FIT IS KING” today, so to prevent leading and increase accuracy you need to know the exact size of your unique gun barrel. Then buy the appropriate Lee sizing die for your press. You do not need a greas-o-sizer to size boolits. I have a Lee die(s) for every one of the many cal’s I cast for. Only a very few castings I make require no sizing for MY specific guns.

Happy casting & shooting!

Bangerjim

wendyj
05-26-2018, 02:45 PM
I've slugged my bore. It slugs out at 450.4. It shoots .452 best. My Lee mold is casting at .454 so I will have to buy a sizing die. This Henry has been a real shooter with bullets I got from Rimrock and laser cast.

Walter Laich
05-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Once you get hooked you WILL WANT a casting pot!!!!!!

Leave the skillets to the cook in the kitchen! Lee pots are very inexpensive and work VERY well.

Bangerjim

remember once you melt lead in a skillet or whatever don't use it for preparing food again

wendyj
05-26-2018, 09:20 PM
No these are history. Lead only from now on.