PDA

View Full Version : Bloke on the Range recreating self lubricating bullets

AlexAkai
05-25-2018, 08:10 AM
I thought this was an interesting project:

"knock together some substandard replicas of the old Smith & Wesson self-lubricating bullet,"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0UHJ8sy7s

Dusty Bannister
05-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Perhaps a good use for fired primers? Remove the anvil from the primer and insert skirt open end first. No plunger to fit and it would seal nicely. Also it might be sized down a bit to adapt to whatever hollow brass tube material is available.

mac60
05-25-2018, 09:11 AM
I heard YouTube terminated his channel for a short period of time. It's back now and he's still not sure why they give him the axe.

lightman
05-25-2018, 09:15 AM
I heard YouTube terminated his channel for a short period of time. It's back now and he's still not sure why they give him the axe.

Probably because it was firearms related?

mac60
05-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Probably because it was firearms related?

No doubt. I watch reloading videos on YT quite regularly. If they have instituted this policy of no videos on "making ammunition" why don't they just strike all the videos (probably in the hundreds - maybe thousands) and delete all the channels? I did watch the above video - that's good stuff there, two "gun bugs" of the highest order.

abunaitoo
05-25-2018, 06:17 PM
That is interesting.
Way to much work, but interesting.

Bigslug
05-26-2018, 10:40 PM
I think if one were serious about this, the ideal approach would be a custom hollow-base mold with a cavity that would be a tight friction fit for a BB or standard size shotgun pellet to seal the back end with. You'd still have to drill the sides, but you could seal those ports with beeswax and have a pretty well environment-proof bullet. There might be something to this tech for guys who are shooting heel bases? Probably wouldn't be hard to jig up for.

JSnover
05-27-2018, 09:22 AM
A cheap drill press and some v-blocks would have made the drilling easier for him.

NoZombies
05-27-2018, 01:16 PM
I tried it years ago, and other than the novelty of doing it, I didn't find any benefit.