PDA

View Full Version : How do you record your data?

crabo
09-14-2008, 02:09 AM
I am looking for a simple form to record my loads and data. I am trying to get serious about my accuracy, and I realize my record keeping needs to improve. I separated a bunch of targets, and on several I left off information, so they are useless.

I think I am missing some serious data because I do not have a chrongraph.

I use copier paper for targets with different targets printed on the paper. I go to Office Depot and use up their toner.

So, what does your record keeping look like? What information is important to you?

Thanks,

Hunter
09-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I have a large spiral note book and a Gateway computer.
I try to keep some data on my computer but everything goes into the notebook.
A good chronograph is a must, many of the new ones today will plug into a USB port and download data straight to your computer.
I also like to referance the Sierra ballistic program from time to time and compare their data with what I get.
Notes on targets help but since I tend to save only the good ones there needs to be a place where all information goes.

dromia
09-14-2008, 03:05 AM
I record my load data on a table I made to suit my needs, I just print it out and write the data into it.

I record shooting, target, chrono data in a spiral bound note book that is referenced to the load data with the load lot numbers.

I've been half heartedly putting this onto computer but I prefer to write rather than type which I find takes for me an inordinate amount of concentration and time.

JeffinNZ
09-14-2008, 03:35 AM
I keep all my targets with FULL load details etc written on. Also run a spreadsheet.

Bigjohn
09-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Load details in a hard cover notebook and computor program.

Shooting details on the targets including load details for cross reference and scanned to computor.

A slip of paper in each box of a batch of loads.

John.

Southern Son
09-14-2008, 05:09 AM
A mate gave me a Comouter program called Accuload. I put the data into that, then I print it up and take the prinout to the range, I write my cronograph data on the sheet, bring it home then update the Accuload Data. That is for Smokeless.

For the Holy Black, I have a data sheet that I found somewhere on the net. It has a cross sectioned picture of a loaded BPCR round with all the wads, etc. on it. I then write directly onto this sheet how I have loaded the round. Down the bottom is space to record chronograph data. I put the results onto Accuload, but Accuload don't have the ability to keep all the data (wads, grease cookies, lube, compression depth, etc), so I keep the data sheet as well.

waydownsouth
09-14-2008, 07:43 AM
I use these and have a folder for every caliber and a page for every diffrent powder or projectile i asso keep the targets and write the load data ect on them in the back of the folder for future refrence

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/graphics/handloaderlogstandard.pdf

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/graphics/handloadinglogcast.pdf

C A Plater
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
My number one method is via spread sheet. It is pretty much the same data as would go on a reloading label with a few extras. If something new comes up I want to keep track of I just add another column to the sheet. I keep at least one sheet for each caliber and a form for doing chronograph data to calculate the average, standard deviation and muzzle energy. I have an Excel type template attached that make it much clearer what I mean.

monadnock#5
09-14-2008, 08:04 AM
IF you have access to the February 1986 issue of American Rifleman, Ed Matunas wrote an excellent article on record keeping. Excellent to the point that I never felt the need to modify or adapt his tables.

Bass Ackward
09-14-2008, 08:20 AM
I use Quickload.

wiljen
09-14-2008, 08:36 AM
I use Reloader's Reference.

Tom Myers
09-14-2008, 08:43 AM
A shameles plug for something that works quite well

Precision Records & Ballistics (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/bpc.htm)

Tom Myers

357maximum
09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I bought 100 single subject notebooks for a dime apiece at a back to school sale about 8years ago. I have a notebook for every iron (one for j-words and one for cast if it happens to be a cast gun). I use a notebook for each and every mold also. I use a glustick to glue pertinent targets/printed info into the books. I like to have a hard copy of everything. My current computer has never given me reason to trust it, so I don't. I print every kewl arcticle I find on a given caliber/subject and they go into appropriate 3ring binders...it all takes up some room...but I know I have the info that way. This evil top of the line dual core , multi processor , top of the line (ha) box that HP built leaks occasionally.

missionary5155
09-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I keep all my data in Notebooks, hand written. One notebook per caliber. 10 pages each gun. Each section (gun) has a masking tape marker that extends past the page top for easy quick reference. Example... my 45 caliber rifle notebook has 7 pieces of tape sticking up for 7 rifles. First page is dedicated to proven accurate loads.
The following pages are ruled with verticle lines giving space for Boolit info (weight, mix, hardness, mold) Powder info, case info, date, weather, results and suggetions.

Shiloh
09-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I have mine in a large spiral bound writing tablet. I'm not real good with Excel so I haven't tried that although I have been threatening too for a long time.

Perhaps now that my bride has finally graduated college with a B.S. in Business, she could do it for me. "Hey hon, how'd you like some practice with creating a spread sheet"? That sure to get me the "Look"

Shiloh

Mumblypeg
09-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm old shool, 3X5 index cards in a recipe box, but it won't crash.

dk17hmr
09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I dont really keep as good of records as I should. Most of the time if the load doesnt do well I dont bother to write it down. The loads that step up and show accuracy on paper have the load data wrote on the target and filed by sticking it on the wall or in a dresser we have in the reloading room.

But I also keep a record of the good loads on my computer.

There are some loads that I dont really care about like, stuffing round balls into a 500S&W case just to see what it will do, or filling a 45-70 case with .177 BB's.

Johnch
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
3 ring notebooks with load data and targets with notes on them

I have 1 for each rifle

John

crowbuster
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I to am old school, I keep notebook handy at the bench, it is a must for me as there are so many calibers I load for myself and buddies I could never remember them, especially in developmental stages. I also second the importance of a chrony, after many years of thinking his load was running at peak for his 220 swift my bil found it to be a whopping 531fps slower than listed and what he thought he was running, explained the extra drop at long range p.d.s. Fyi, few people send there chronys back for registering to high if ya catch my drift.:Fire:

C.B.

mooman76
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I use an Excel spreadsheet. I admit thought my data could and should be better though! I already lost a bunch of data due to a computer crash!

HeavyMetal
09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I use a three ring binder with dividers for each caliber. This way I can add paper as needed, pull info out and file as needed. I don't use my computer for this type of storage. Yes I know it's the wave of the future but in the 24 years I've been with my company we have gone through at least 6 seperate computer systems!

Each time one is replaced, or it fails, no information can be transfered or removed from the failed/replaced system. So each time I find I've lost info that I have to figure out how to replace as it's to much for the systems manger to get done!

This problem is my Boss's! I won't have that issue because I won't trust something that is obsolete the day after it's sold to me!

Junior1942
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I have an elcheapo spiral notebook for every firearm I shoot a lot. It contains shooting and sight settings info. I also keep a simple text file on my computer and on an online server, and it contains what I call "Got stolen stuff." It's everything about a gun including date of purchase, price paid, where purchased, etc., etc. I also put hidden marks on every gun and describe those marks along with the gun's other data. The data includes twist, weight, sight radius, etc., etc.

Most web hosts give you a few megs of free storage space. When you update your "guns" file, put a copy on your host. You're safe in the event of a computer crash or theft.

Cloudpeak
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I use a spreadsheet and take pictures of targets with data on them, transfer to Photobucket and toss the targets (unless they're outstanding. Then, I paste them on my reloading bench cabinet doors.)

Cloudpeak

Echo
09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
As I was retiring from USAF I had the dupe shop print up some forms I designed, on legal-sized paper. Each form has 25 lines for load recording, and I had about a hundred or so printed up. Shameless waste of govt prop, I know. The statute of limitations has passed.

In any case, I still have a bunch of these. Normal column headers including a broad final column for Comments, plus an added column for Pacific Pistol Powder Measure bushing number and a column for load #. I can then put a lable on the cartridge box showing the load info, including the ID#.

I use separaters to keep calibers organized, and print the particular caliber at the top. If I ever run out, I am fairly adept at Excel and will make up an Excel form that duplicates the old one. Now that I think of it, I think I will do it anyway and post it here on the board for any and all to have access to.

waksupi
09-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I have my records in some of the Gunloads books, and in two other books. Or is that three? I have targets scattered across my bench, in the mold drawer, and some falling down behind the chest of drawers. Others are in a pile of papers next to my computer, and others are in a coffee can under the loading bench. There is a pile in the corner, on the floor. Some are in a target folder, but I don't know where that is at the time. Some targets are very good, with no load information whatsoever on them, although some may have velocities marked. No idea which rifle they were shot with.
It is virtually impossible to put my hands on any given information, at any specific time.
Come to think of it, my best records are on some stick on load data sheets Shuz gave me, and Fatnhappy made me some more copies of. When I have a good load for a particular gun, the info is on the inside of the lid.

Powderpacker
09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
In the past, my 'system' was very much like Waksupi's. Lately I've been using the 4 bull, notebook sized targets from Midway, writing all the data on the targets and keeping the targets in folders - a seperate folder for each gun. If a load won't group on a 4" bull at 50yds I just make a note that the load was tried and discarded. The big problem now is trying to organize the data from a half dozen notebooks, scraps of paper, etc and fit it all into my new system .

Maximilian225
09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I use a 3 ring binder with manilla folders cut and punched for dividers.

The first section keeps all my reloading data in order. I establish lot numbers for my test loads based on the month day and year loaded + caliber of the firearm. That way I have no redundant numbers and know where to look to find info on a load box. (Ex. 0914086.5)
After a load becomes established as something I will use again I will use a lot number based on caliber, weight, projectile, and a number to establish the number of times that particular load has been loaded for use. (Ex. 6.5140SST1)
I have a labeler that I use to transfer load numbers and data such as projectile, weight , powder and charge, and Fps if I have it to the cartridge boxes.

The rest of the book is separated into sections for each firearm with the manila dividers and those are divided into sections for the targets from that firearm with the load number on it, and a section for notes on the firearm with each load, and any work I have done to the firearm.

JeffinNZ
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm old shool, 3X5 index cards in a recipe box, but it won't crash.

LOL. That's my arguement at work for keeping paper files. I ain't never seen a paper file rip itself up yet.

Mumblypeg
09-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I dont really keep as good of records as I should. Most of the time if the load doesnt do well I dont bother to write it down. The loads that step up and show accuracy on paper have the load data wrote on the target and filed by sticking it on the wall or in a dresser we have in the reloading room.

But I also keep a record of the good loads on my computer.

There are some loads that I dont really care about like, stuffing round balls into a 500S&W case just to see what it will do, or filling a 45-70 case with .177 BB's.

I used to not keep records of bad loads either untill I caught myself trying the same load only to get the same results.

randyrat
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I use a primative method. 8 1/2 X 11" paper and folders. Each gun gets it's own folder. All details i can think of go on each load/paper - OAL,primers,powder weights,primers, when tested-summer or winter, ect... When i need some rounds for a gun, put my favorite load on a clip board above my load area, kinda like a work order. I found if i send it off to BOB the account temp it dosen't get done. LOL

quickshot
09-15-2008, 09:37 AM
i use a small notebook at the range for load data and notes. Back at the house I enter all info into my lee shooter program. Works for me.