PDA

View Full Version : Old Lee mold

Tom W.
05-24-2018, 11:02 AM
I have an old s/c Lee mold that I bought in the late '70s. It has pins that hold the blocks to the handles, and when it gets good and hot, the pins try to escape. They haven't fallen out all of the way yet, but it sure is annoying, and pushing them back in and tapping with a punch only helps for a short while. I thought about threading the holes and putting in bolts, but wondered if the same thing would happen, the blocks get hot and the bolts working themselves out. I also thought about punching the holes a bit to close them up a bit, but wondered if I might damage the mold itself doing that.[smilie=1: I know it's just a cheap Lee, but it has served me well....and is an accurate boolit.

Sorry. I made this post in molds, Please delete this one.
Tom

mdi
05-24-2018, 11:12 AM
You could center punch the sides of the pins to raise "divots" that have edges and enlarge the diameter of the pins, making them tighter in the hole. You could drill the side the pin holes and tap for a set screw, and use high temp. loctite https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-234772-Temperature-Retaining-Compound/dp/B003T7UXUI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1527174564&sr=8-6&keywords=high+temperature+loctite You could also find machine screws longer than the mold is wide and use a screw and nut, again with high temp. loctite.

Dusty Bannister
05-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Any thought to use of a roll pin slightly larger than the existing pin?

Tom W.
05-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Mechanically inclined I ain't anymore... I can't feel anything with my fingers...except cold or hot.