PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer recommendations?

901S
05-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Howdy folks,

I've been doing a little casting, but want to step up my game a little bit. A PID is more than I need. I want to use a thermometer for a while at least. Perhaps I missed a sticky, but I did skim through some.

I see many of you don't like the Lyman digitals.

Recommendations for digitals that can be used for melting down wheel weights AND also for a Lee 4-20 pot?

If you want to recommend a mechanical that is fine, but I prefer digital if possible.

TIA

Spruce
05-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Lyman and RCBS both are grossly over priced. I bought a True Temp dial from a vender on this site.
I thought NOE moulds also sell thermometers. Don't know of any digital ones personally.

lightman
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
I've gotten where I mostly depend on my PID. But, my RCBS dial type thermometer reads pretty close as does the Tel True that I have. I think NOE sells them. There have been a lot of threads about Lyman not being accurate.

hunter74
05-23-2018, 12:57 PM
I have used one from NOE in my last 5 casting years. I'm happy with it but haven't compared it to other analog thermometers. It shows about 50 F lower than the output reading on my Bullet Master but I trust my NOE more. The way the boolits fills out at different temps it's most likely the NOE that's closest to actual temp

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Smoke4320
05-23-2018, 02:18 PM
I have always used boiling water to check the accuracy of thermometers

rogerreloader
05-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Buy yourself a pid and a thermocouple and use it as a thermometer and then later if you want use the relay part of it to control your production pot. Buy once cry once.

Smoke4320
05-23-2018, 02:56 PM
901S I will tell you this a PID is worth every penny for good consistent casting. It takes all the guesswork out of temp control.. You will get more consistent bullets
I built my last one for less than $75.00 total .. if you don't have the skills or want to then by all means check with hatch a vendor sponsor on here

He makes a good PID

Mike W1
05-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Buy yourself a pid and a thermocouple and use it as a thermometer and then later if you want use the relay part of it to control your production pot. Buy once cry once.

I tend to agree with the above and have thought about doing just that but already have 4 PID units and don't need another! However my digital VOM reads temperatures as well as the other useful functions and I think it's a better investment overall. I use it to monitor my smelt pot though my old Tel-Tru still works. And it was reading off till I adjusted it to about what the other digitals said (and agreed on with each other). Digital also has a noticeably faster response time BTW.