PDA

View Full Version : Any HAM's here?

aws1963
05-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Noticed a couple with their calls in the signature. Just curious who and where they may be located.

I'm W6AWS and located in NE Sacramento.

My Station
https://i.imgur.com/s4XDjPh.jpg?1

farmerjim
05-20-2018, 07:44 PM
WB5SZT. Mostly inactive, I pull out the 2 meter every now and then while on long drives. Started back in the early 70's when CW at 13 WPM was needed for general. Got advanced about 3 months after general and started working on the 20 wpm for Extra. Got close then moved to Canada for 12 years. I still have my 75 watt cw transmitter that I built from parts down in the barn. There are a bunch of Ham's on here. I am sure a bunch will answer. I'll be watching.

tommag
05-20-2018, 08:15 PM
KI7SYG here. I'm mostly on dstar but play with 6 meters when I'm home. I have an ic 7100 that lives in the truck and goes into the house when I'm home. Homebrew moxon pointing down your way, waiting for the d layer to dissipate.

JimmyTheDentist
05-20-2018, 08:51 PM
KI7SYG here. I'm mostly on dstar . . .

KD2CAB . . . just upgraded to my General a couple weeks ago. I’m still too uncertain about what I’m really trying to accomplish with radio so I’ve not yet taken the plunge into any new equipment. At some point I’ll surely pick up a nice used rig but presently I own just an Icom HT. Only occasionally fire it up and I'm still slowly educating myself about D-STAR. Seems my “fun money” and free time goes towards all things 2A and so the HAM stuff takes a back seat.

J the D

MaryB
05-20-2018, 09:28 PM
W0AAT I mostly do 6m and up with a lot of moon bounce on 2 meters...

Pair of FT-991's, FT-7900 fr FM on the right, left is a 1kw 2 meter amplifier, out of frame are rotor controllers...

https://i.imgur.com/jdR0wty.jpg

Tracking the moon, other bright spot is a street light

https://i.imgur.com/rSc05hh.jpg

Tracy
05-20-2018, 11:26 PM
I'm a ham; made it all the way to Advanced and passed the written portion of Extra; tried the 20 wpm but didn't make it. But when they went to 5 wpm across the board I got an automatic upgrade to Extra because I had passed the written plus 5 (and 13) wpm.

There are more hams on the forum too, who haven't posted in this thread yet.

smoked turkey
05-20-2018, 11:29 PM
WA0ATU here. Unfortunately due to severe ice several years ago that took down my tri-bander beam, I have become totally inactive. Been a Ham since 1961 and keep my ticket current. Still have my HF rig and several sections of Rohn 25 tower laying in the barn. Unfortunately I probably won't return to the hobby due to time constraints. I do miss it from time to time. 73.

rockshooter
05-20-2018, 11:29 PM
K7RLJ checking in. Amateur extra, Icom 7200, 7300. Boise Idaho area
Loren

Beagle333
05-20-2018, 11:41 PM
KE4GWE here. I used to spend a lot of time on 10m mobile collecting cards. 'Got quite a box of em now.
But I get along with this wife much more than I did the first wife, so I don't spend much time outside playing on my radio. ;)
I still have a 2m in the truck for "emergencies", but I rarely use it now.

Minerat
05-20-2018, 11:45 PM
KC0GPT, mostly inactive now. Sold truck and have no installed radio in new truck. Thinking about upping to General but too busy to study right now. My Elmer passed last year so don't have much incentive to keep going.

aws1963
05-21-2018, 12:32 AM
.....But I get along with this wife much more than I did the first wife, so I don't spend much time outside playing on my radio. ;)
Now that's funny. I know several guys who have virtually "moved" into their shacks.

Roy Acuffff
05-21-2018, 12:56 AM
K5WSC, have been licensed since 1959. Same call sign and still active. Rig is a IC-756PROlll, TL-922A and Cushcraft A4, also inverted V's and VHF beam. Been doing this 58 years in July.

Been boolit casting and reloading since 1964, maybe 1963, anyway it has been a long time.

73 de Roy - K5WSC

castalott
05-21-2018, 08:57 AM
KB9SRQ here...Extra but I usually talk on 2 meter...and I'm a weather spotter also... There is only so much time....

Three44s
05-21-2018, 08:59 AM
I am not a Ham, but it has always interested me.

I understand the importance Ham radio plays during disasters and along with that, just good clean fun and keeping the brain active are some of it’s advantages. But time and other competing interests are also a factor.

I know that the FCC has lowered the bar to entice new recruits to the fold since the ranks of the Hams are dwindling and that does make it easier to enter into it.

When I read some info on getting started, I ran into references about the difficulty and much time needing to be spent in making contact with other Ham operators on the airwaves. I would assume belonging to a local club and it in turn doing outreach to other clubs would augment that?

Thinking.....

Three44s

WebMonkey
05-21-2018, 10:31 AM
kb0wlf
active on hf, i enjoy the digital modes.
active on vhf and uhf, i enjoy working the satellites (prefer the ssb birds).
aprs digipeater/i-gate here as well as a jnos packet bbs.
70cm analog voice repeater, allstar nodes.

you can see some of my shack by typing my callsign in at www.qrz.com

i go through phases concentrating on specific modes for whatever reason.
;)
i made dxcc digi endorsement, now working on cw.
always trying to improve my aprs coverage.

TCFAN
05-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Not a Ham myself but I grew up around radio all my life. My dad was a life long ham radio operator getting his license in the 1930's. His call was first W9FNN and that was changed to W0FNN and later after getting a upgrade he changed it to K0AW.He passed at the age of 99 years.......A photo of him in his favorite place

https://i.imgur.com/Zh67Skw.jpg

mac60
05-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Was a Coast Guard RM - served at Commsta San Francisco/NMC with control of NMQ and NMW. After I got out I worked as a cw op for KLC in Alvin, Tx. for a few years. Then went to work as a cw op. for WLO in Mobile, Al. where I stayed for 14 yrs. - greatest job I ever had. Also remotely controlled KLB Seattle radio and WSC Tuckerton, Nj. from WLO. Used to be active HAM - my call was KC4CAW, but I let it lapse years ago. Sometimes I miss it and have considered getting a ticket, but just never seem to get around to it.

Lead pot
05-21-2018, 01:33 PM
With all that fine radio gear in the pictures I see only one man working a keyer, a bug even. :) A good operator using a bug is like his signature, you know right off who it is on the other end if you worked him a few times even before he turns it over with his call.

farmerjim
05-21-2018, 02:30 PM
With all that fine radio gear in the pictures I see only one man working a keyer, a bug even. :) A good operator using a bug is like his signature, you know right off who it is on the other end if you worked him a few times even before he turns it over with his call.

Loved CW. Never used a bug. went from a straight key to a Heathkit electronic key

zardoz
05-21-2018, 02:46 PM
KM4MYM here. My hearing is shot, so I rarely if ever use voice or audio. However, I have a lot more flexibility in using certain frequencies for telemetry in other hobbies I have.

Jake McCracken
05-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Yep. KC3BDF here. Cant wait for Field Day!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Daveco
05-21-2018, 08:04 PM
KV4VE here. Started out as N4YOY in the late 80's as a Tech with 5 wpm code privileges and then upgraded to General when they lowered the code requirements, but I ended up letting my ticket expire. A few years back, my Son and I got interested again and he stopped at General as call N4KCW and I had to one-up him and studied up and passed the Extra class test too and was given my current call. I'm not very active right now but have recently got my Yaesu FT4D set back up in my "radio closet". I have always been drawn to HF, and my favorite mode is CW. I need to start practicing my code again now that y'all have got me started thinking about it....... ☺
(My Dad was a Ham too- he had an Advanced ticket when he passed away back in 1979. His call was WA4FMZ)

MaryB
05-21-2018, 09:20 PM
I do have a set of paddles but it is easier to fire up the computer to send CW now. I can type it and hit send. My carpal tunnel loves me for it too!

MaryB
05-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Not a Ham myself but I grew up around radio all my life. My dad was a life long ham radio operator getting his license in the 1930's. His call was first W9FNN and that was changed to W0FNN and later after getting a upgrade he changed it to K0AW.He passed at the age of 99 years.......A photo of him in his favorite place

That callsign is really familiar... like I may have worked him multiple times when I was a novice in 1974/75...

TCFAN
05-22-2018, 12:14 AM
That callsign is really familiar... like I may have worked him multiple times when I was a novice in 1974/75...
If you did I would sure like to know.......

Blanket
05-22-2018, 08:35 AM
KC0RVR here

Lead pot
05-22-2018, 09:57 AM
I will dig out my old log book and see if I have his call down. I used to work several zero's one mostly was W0BCJ Clark out of Sabula IA and Jack K9KUP out of Savanna IL. also Vern K9VRL from Sterling IL that got my code speed up to a solid 35 WPM. One night he was asking a bunch of questions using a keyboard on 15 mtrs and when that exchange ended he said you just answered my 50 wpm questions.
I spent most of my time on 160 mtrs and 15 mtrs using a TCK-4 decommissioned Navy Xmtr. CW and working the aurora borealis 2 and .432 trying to get all 48 States. But been inactive since the early 90's. I have a guy coming to take down my 130' freestanding tower I used for my 160 mtr vertical antenna that also held my 160 rombic I worked a ZL on QRP with.
:) all this talk of HAM stuff I might change my mind again taking the tower down :)

Soundguy
05-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Ke4rrd here, have a few assorted ICOM mobiles, yaesu hand helds, plus an odd old johnson unit. Mostly ground plane and dipoles. Do a little shortwave listening too.

73's

MaryB
05-22-2018, 08:55 PM
If you did I would sure like to know.......

Those logs were lost to a fire... but I bet I did... if he worked 40 meters very much I would have ran into him I bet.

smoked turkey
05-22-2018, 09:58 PM
TCFAN Good evening Terry (I am thinking that is your handle), we have talked before about the good old days in ham radio. Your dad, Clyde, and I spent some noon hours just talking radio as my work was only a block away from Reed Radio, and I spent some of my noon hours as well as some of my money there through the years. It was good to see the excellent photo of him. It brought back many good memories. Ham radio is a great hobby and enjoyed it for a very long time. I was on 40 meters CW back in my novice days and graduated to 20 meters with an old Johnson Ranger or a Heathkit Apache TX-1 until I came on an SB-10 SSB generator. I used to really like doing DXing on 20 CW as well. Again, thanks for the memories.
73 from WA0ATU-Stan.

TCFAN
05-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Those logs were lost to a fire... but I bet I did... if he worked 40 meters very much I would have ran into him I bet.

Yes he worked 40 meters alot as well as 20 meters. CW was what he liked the most and he was very good at it.I found all of his log books going back to the 1930's when we moved everything out of his house. I don't know what happened to them. Alot of stuff was thrown away in a short period of time.

TCFAN
05-22-2018, 11:55 PM
TCFAN Good evening Terry (I am thinking that is your handle), we have talked before about the good old days in ham radio. Your dad, Clyde, and I spent some noon hours just talking radio as my work was only a block away from Reed Radio, and I spent some of my noon hours as well as some of my money there through the years. It was good to see the excellent photo of him. It brought back many good memories. Ham radio is a great hobby and enjoyed it for a very long time. I was on 40 meters CW back in my novice days and graduated to 20 meters with an old Johnson Ranger or a Heathkit Apache TX-1 until I came on an SB-10 SSB generator. I used to really like doing DXing on 20 CW as well. Again, thanks for the memories.
73 from WA0ATU-Stan.

Hi Stan. Yes I remember you saying that you knew my dad and used to go to Reed Radio to talk to him.I never was interested in Ham radio at all. I liked to shoot and cast boolits to much to do any thing else........Terry

kfarm
05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
WB5VOF novice in 73 advanced in 80. Always admired guys with quarter century awards, been 44 years where has time gone. 73's

Echo
05-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Ex-W5HZM here - was fairly active until I got assigned as a communicator into the 'Looking Glass' ABNCP project. Only operational job I had in USAF, but using radio all time kinda killed my enthusiasm. But I had built my own Boots for my SSB rig - pair of 811's in GG, w/2,000 volts on plates. Not a full gallon, but peaked at 800. Had to put a 2D21 hooked up as a diode into the center tap of the filament xfmr for bias...

AllanD
05-23-2018, 11:05 PM
N2TBI here but don't get fooled by my /W2 call I live in Pennsylvania since 1995.

I have'nt done much of anything for the last several years. I have to wire a radio into my "new" truck.

And I need to remount my antennae after having had my roof redone.
Other than 2M in my vehicle, I've always been mostly a 10M operator
But I've been known to get up on 17M.

Lead pot
05-24-2018, 09:11 AM
echo nothing wrong with 811's 813's and 500z's :) For me the fun was building and experimenting with underground antennas, even loaded a well casing LOL.
My shack in the winter never needed heat with the foot warmers running and the violet rectifier tubes buzzing :) I still have a horned Eimac T 150 tube on the shelf I build a amp with, that tube was capable of about 3000 watts and getting into all phones and TV in the areas LOL.
Man I have to get the rigs back out of the boxes and throw a wire up in the trees talking about this again. AR

one-eyed fat man
05-24-2018, 09:26 AM
WD4SCZ, the radios I use vary a bit, but NONE of them are computer driven or made in Japan. It's either straight key CW or AM phone.

farmerjim
05-24-2018, 09:57 AM
one-eyed fat man I remember those. All my HF is Heathkit.

Echo
05-24-2018, 11:43 AM
My original rig was a Knight All-band RX and a - fooie - I can't remember - HA! ART-13 w/813 final. Ended with a Hammarlund HX-50 with the aforementioned boots and a Drake 2B Rx...

Baja_Traveler
05-24-2018, 02:24 PM
KI6IWX here - been off the airwaves for quite a few years now, but I still have the Yaesu FT-857 in the truck. Took off the screwdriver antenna some years ago in order to mount kayak racks, so now limited to 2 meter if I were to key up again. I also have a full NVIS system for emergency communications from when I was doing that way back in the day.
In fact, I was just dusting off the Icom IC-91 handheld last night contemplating buying a new battery for it, since the old one died from lack of use. Used to have fun with that Icom playing with D-Star and talking to a guy in Melbourne Australia on 2 meter...

MaryB
05-24-2018, 08:56 PM
AS a novice I used a HW16 and an Eico 722 VFO that warbled frequency bad if bumped... Straight key and I was copied doing 25wpm one night... with the arthritis and carpal tunnel now CW is sent via computer KB...

And I am on 6 meters with a 5 element beam so if any of you do 6 we may run into each other during an opening!

Tracy
05-24-2018, 10:11 PM
WD4SCZ, the radios I use vary a bit, but NONE of them are computer driven or made in Japan. It's either straight key CW or AM phone.

Great looking setup! I used to run 3885 AM with a DX100, D104 just like yours. The receiver was a National NC300.

w5pv
05-28-2018, 12:18 PM
W5pv,Philip,Orange TX,been ham since 1976,maybe 1975,Just don't remember

myg30
06-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Just saw this thread to join in on. Beautiful pictures of shacks and rigs. I use to DROOL as a kid over one day having a Collins ham station.
Mike, WA2DLN. Ham since 71’ at the age of 13.
Built several Heath kits as a novice. DX-60B, keyer(hw-10?) used a hallicrafters HQ-110. Put up several inverted V’s nd dipoles since I worked 80,40 mostly then. A heath VFO w/ general in mind. I built a 2el 15m beam out of the ARRL antenna book (60’s issue), and 15 cw became my primary qso’s
Worked and Saved up enough paper route cash to buy a TA-32 2el tri bander as I passed my general in late 72’.
Built an HW-101 and worked mainly 15m cw. Some SSB here n there on all 3 hf bands.
10 meter AM was popular and the local county civil defense and races group had “Bunny Hunts” and storm related functions on 28.720 am. Hunts on Monday night. Road with some hams and had a blast. Worked in a TV repair shop for one of the guys and inherited his 1960 olds 88 with all the ham gear when he became silent key in 76.
Johnson Viking 60w 80-10 xmitter w/ crystals and VFO, Gonset (G12?) converter for the am dash radio, Viking ant tuner and 8’ whip. Did hunts till 1980.
I now understand they do 2 mtr. hunts to keep the hobbie alive.

Those were the days. Very little activity now, 2m mobile, few hf contacts several times a year when time permits. When I retire I hope to be more active on HF.

73 fer nw, Mike

MaryB
06-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Bottom of the sunspot cycle so HF kinda sucks right now... Even 20 meters has been quiet some days!

aws1963
06-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Definitely tough on the high bands right now. Low bands are OK. I enjoy 40m in the evenings when I get a chance to play radio.

MaryB
06-05-2018, 09:58 PM
6 meters has been rocking the last week, made 3 contacts to Japan on FT8 digital via multi hop e-skip... heard EU but it faded to fast for me to make a contact. Right now there is a e-cloud over Southern Indiana area and the band is open. No new grids so I am being quiet... if I get on during a stateside e opening I get slammed with QSL cards. Semi rare grid square(EN24) on 6 meters!

Jake McCracken
06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Anyone operating Field day? I will be from a club members property. We will be using the call sign N3EC running 2E from WPA. If you hear the call be sure to say hi! Mostly 40 and 80m, some on other bands if we can get them to tune up, and when it gets later we may be on with digital modes too.

Jake KC3BDF

MaryB
06-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Probably tomorrow night... have to mow tomorrow afternoon...

Had 2 meter e-skip yesterday, worked a half dozen station out on the east coast!

Mr Peabody
06-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Interesting read fellas'. In the army they taught me to receive, not send. I could push 30 gpm when I got out in '72. A persons fist was something you could know on any freq. The Russians and the east germans had some women that were textbook. I listened to the MARS people a little and thanked them a lot for the links they provided. It was a shame to see manual morse go out. Thanks for the HAMS!

fast ronnie
06-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Noticed a couple with their calls in the signature. Just curious who and where they may be located.

I'm W6AWS and located in NE Sacramento.

My Station
https://i.imgur.com/s4XDjPh.jpg?1

I don't do Ham, but was wondering if you shoot at Sac Valley. I try to get there as often as I can.

OeldeWolf
06-29-2018, 03:08 PM
My dad was a Ham. He was an RM in the USN. Then one year, he went to sea, and when he came back everyone had gone to digital or transistors (I forget which) and all his tube driven equipment was obsolete. Mom said there was no money for new equipment. But I have learned more about her, the last couple years. She just wanted to spend the money on dog breeding and showing.

I have long kjnown about the HAM Operators and their history of emergency and disaster help. What does it take to get a license, currently?

Jake McCracken
06-29-2018, 04:20 PM
What does it take to get a license, currently?

15$ test fee and a little studying. Check out www.hamstudy.org, they have flash cards and practice exams for technician license and its all free. My wife just spent a few weeks using that site and aced the test.

Then when you get consistent 80% passing scores go to http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session and find a test near you. If they dont list one try googling ham radio clubs local to you and ask about one. There's always one somewhere. And that club you find can help you a lot with your ham questions and let you play on their gear to get a handle on things.

Jake McCracken
06-29-2018, 04:24 PM
My dad was a Ham. He was an RM in the USN. Then one year, he went to sea, and when he came back everyone had gone to digital or transistors (I forget which) and all his tube driven equipment was obsolete.

And just FYI, that old tube gear is not obsolete, if it still functions it will still communicate, with even the latest fancy radios. It just takes a little more know how and patients to operate it.

sawinredneck
06-29-2018, 04:58 PM
KD0LWU in KS. Had a couple guys talk me into it, I used to run 1kw on CB outerbands and they wanted to pull me out of the “dark side”. I really wanted to like it, certainly the phone bands, but really got turned off with the contacts I made on 10m. I didn’t “have to walk barefoot, uphill, both ways, in the snow to the FCC office to test”, so I wasn’t worthy to talk to. It’s a shame as that mentality is going to kill the hobby.
Rant over.
Now I’m down to 2m rigs and just get active during severe weather spotting for Skywarn.

midland man
06-29-2018, 06:07 PM
anyone here hang on 3916 at night??

MaryB
06-29-2018, 10:16 PM
2 meter SSB tropospheric ducting last night! Not super great but made a 731 mile contact. Always love it when the band opens up. My best distance so far on 2 meters tropo is 1273 miles!

aws1963
07-01-2018, 02:21 PM
I don't do Ham, but was wondering if you shoot at Sac Valley. I try to get there as often as I can.

Sorry for the late response. Thought I had notifications set up but I did not.

I don't shoot much at Sac Valley. I'm fortunate to have private property in the foothills to shoot at. If I'm shooting local, I'll go to the Sacramento Gun Club in Rancho Cordova.

Andy

Jake McCracken
09-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Just put together a new ( well quite old but new in the box) multi band HyGain vertical antenna. Made contact with Maine Iowa and South Carolina from here in PA.

Antenna is in the background, thats my son sittin at the radio. He helped put the antenna together and is now wanting to get his license.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180922/551f3dce497117f9f5fd70c2e4972aa5.jpg

Remmy4477
09-24-2018, 07:39 AM
K0BRZ here
Was active on HF early summer till a wind storm took down my Titan verticle.
Have not found the energy to put it back up after repairs.
Run 2 meters simplex everyday.

Echo
09-25-2018, 01:15 AM
Ex-W5HZM (Hollyhocks, Zinnias, and Marigolds), AKA Whisky 5. Been out of it for decades, but ended with Hammarlund HX-50 w/home-made boots (pair of 811's in parallel, GG, 2,000 volts on the plates, B&W final turret coil set, and a 2D21 wired as a diode for VR bias in the center tap of the filament transformer that fed a home-wound bifilar coil pair wound on the core of a TV flyback xfmr. Peaked at 800 watts. Ears were a Drake 2B...

Soundguy
09-25-2018, 10:55 AM
flybacks are almost a thing of the past anymore.. sad...

Tatume
07-07-2019, 11:10 AM
This morning I listened to a catbird singing "CQ CQ CQ," but wasn't able to make out her callsign. :razz:

myg30
07-08-2019, 11:05 AM
To much Power line noise there ?
I’ve been home fer few weeks already recouping from hernia surgery, got cut both sides groin.
Had not even once turned on the dang radios. Shame , I bet when I’m in work I’ll regret not doing some operating.
Best 73 all, Mike WA2DLN nashville,tn.

KenH
07-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Interesting read fellas'. ........ It was a shame to see manual morse go out. Thanks for the HAMS!
I think there's more manual morse on the air than ever before. Just check the bands, LOTS of CW. While computer CW is strong on contests, for rag chew there are still lots of manual morse... Wait, do you mean straight key and bugs? I agree I think most folks are using paddles with keyers.

Tatume
07-08-2019, 11:35 AM
To each his own, but the number of 30+ WPM operators has grown exponentially with the advent of code reading software and keyboard sending. I don't see the appeal, as I'd just as soon use RTTY or Winlink as computer generated CW. I use an iambic paddle and electronic keyer, and a very nice Junker D.B.G.M. German military surplus straight key.

Big Tom
09-07-2019, 06:13 PM
I've only been a ham for about 2 years now and am working (on and off...) on my General license. Maybe by end of the year. Used to play with CB radios in the mid 70s and then got invited to a friend who showed me his gear for EME fun... Now I got a 991A as the main radio, a TYT-9800, several Boafengs and spend a lot of time on DMR with my pi-star hotspot and a MD-UV380.

Tom, N8AAA

smithnframe
09-07-2019, 08:02 PM

I like all the Collins gear!

smithnframe
09-07-2019, 08:05 PM
I grew up around a few old timers.....W3YH, W3MYV, K3BOI, K3IBM, W3WCF, WA3HVP to name a few.......all silent keys now!

10x
09-08-2019, 11:36 AM
HAM radio - it will survive for communications when the internet is gone due to EMP (electro magnetic pulse)

Three44s
09-08-2019, 04:41 PM
HAM radio - it will survive for communications when the internet is gone due to EMP (electro magnetic pulse)

This is one of the things that concerns me, the fall out from a natural or man made disaster. I am not a Ham but we are experiencing too few folks entering the pursuit and it is bound to bite us in the keester.

Three44s

RustyMusket
09-08-2019, 11:27 PM
I turn the 100 W rig (Old Yeasu 840) on once in a while to rag chew on 20/40 Meters. Sometimes use 2M when driving but not much activity. When we do draw an elk tag in AZ, I set up comm with Game & Fish Unit Manager (translate: game warden) and friends back in Phoenix for emergency use. I pull a J-pole up into a pine tree and from the high country, 5 watts work fairly well. My hunting buddies are HAM's too so we use 2M....but 2013 was my last archery elk tag....unfortunately.

I do also listen to SW quite a bit. It is interesting to hear commentary from afar.

73.... KD7HZE (General class)

farmerjim
09-09-2019, 06:29 AM

It will, as long as they are the old tube and not the "modern" solid state radios. I have both.

sagamore-one
09-09-2019, 07:14 AM
KD9GEA here operating out of North East Indiana with a pair of Drake TR4C boat anchors holding an E class ticket. Also dabble in 6 and 2 meter FM.
Got the "bug" from my late father, aka Chromedome, KAIK 8603. My first ticket was KFBI 9126 followed by a stint as 184 KSA 452.

fivegunner
09-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Yes , I`am Ham KD8OHS:coffee::coffee:

MaryB
09-09-2019, 06:15 PM
For more reliable 2 meter simplex comms between base station go SSB with a small horizontally polarized beam. The little Yaesu FT-817(or the new model) is small enough to backpack, tape measure beam folds up into a pole... can hang the antenna from a tree and point it back to the base location... easy to do 60+++ miles that way. I can hear the WD9BGA/b beacon 350 miles form me almost every day of the week(conditions have to be negative for me to not hear it) and it runs 50 watts to a pair of loops! I do have a wee bit of aluminum the air though! 4 20 foot long 12 element beams... but it lets me work the tiny stations out to 150+ miles!

49FMarlin
03-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Ive a question for any hams,
Ive got a 2 meter, and do alot of listening,
ive also got an old icom R7000 reciever, and like it,
im looking to buy something i can grow into,
working on my license

ive seen the Xiegu G-90 for 449.00
the IC718 for 584.00 the add a tuner 150.00 750+
then theres the FT450D 674.00
or
sell another rifle :( and go for the IC-7300

Is the G90 worth starting with? at the lowest price,
i only want to cry once :)

mostly want to seek and listen,,then yack as i get more of my lisence's
want to reach out and listen as far away as i can, in a SHTF senario
too old to be trecking atop any mountains, so it would be a base setup

will be making my own antennas, starting out with a windom

thanks
John

BamaNapper
03-23-2020, 11:35 AM
KX4NJ and KN4OXB chiming in; Southeast AL.

My wife wanted to get into HAM about 18 months ago. I've been working in electronics since the 70's but never had the desire. She started studying while I went through the books to learn the basics of rules, bands, and operation. We took the tests and the wife passed the Technician, I took all three and got Extra on the first attempt. Since then we picked up a used rig and a couple handhelds. We've been basically listeners and the radios don't get as much attention as they should. But I see the wife has the General study manual sitting on the end table again.

I've been avoiding getting too involved since this endeavor was the wife's idea. I don't want to hijack the hobby, start buying gear, and setting up a shack around my interests.

iwottopq
03-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Hello...
I am IW8PQ from south Italy...active mostly in digital modes.
I was also KJ4AUA but my licence is exprirated...
'73

MaryB
03-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Ive a question for any hams,
Ive got a 2 meter, and do alot of listening,
ive also got an old icom R7000 reciever, and like it,
im looking to buy something i can grow into,
working on my license

ive seen the Xiegu G-90 for 449.00
the IC718 for 584.00 the add a tuner 150.00 750+
then theres the FT450D 674.00
or
sell another rifle :( and go for the IC-7300

Is the G90 worth starting with? at the lowest price,
i only want to cry once :)

mostly want to seek and listen,,then yack as i get more of my lisence's
want to reach out and listen as far away as i can, in a SHTF senario
too old to be trecking atop any mountains, so it would be a base setup

will be making my own antennas, starting out with a windom

thanks
John

FT-991a, 160m thru 70cm so no need for a separate FM rig

derek45
03-23-2020, 09:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/fjY2wMt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VJMMHSI.jpg

fcvan
03-24-2020, 06:29 PM
W6FCV, got my first ticket as a tech in '99 as KF6YTJ. My brother had expressed an interest in HAM and I got in as another way to hang out with my brother. I upgraded between '99 and '02, just kept at it.

My darling wife has spoiled me with several nice radios over the years. First was a dandy 2M mobile that my brother and I got for Christmas that first year. First HT was a pager sized Alinco, and then a DJ195. My first HF rig was/is a Kenwood 930 that belonged to my Elmer. The Yaesu 897 gets used for field days, Yaesu 817 is mounted in the car. I drive back and forth to Colorado from CA, ad on trips my oldest gran daughter would remind me to change my Ham Stick antennas. I had many contacts and net check-ins while going east or west on I 80.

I had gotten out of the habit of carrying an HT until about 6 months ago, kind of handy for monitoring PD/SO/FD as well as the local repeaters. I have 2 friends who are now studying, 4 more converts some years ago. I use my radio more than my phone and heck, my brother ditched his cell phone for 10 years using only an auto patch. 73's

derek45
05-01-2020, 09:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tNmiPASUM

gsdelong
05-02-2020, 06:02 PM
KD9LOK southern Indiana in the hills of brown county. Around ham radio since 3rd grade with some great elmers, dropped it from about 16 to 55 passed Extra a couple years ago.