PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Elk season

white eagle
05-20-2018, 04:05 PM
For the first time in many,many years Wisconsin is going to have a elk hunting season
there will be a limit of 10 permits for this season but it is historic and exciting :D

crowbuster
05-20-2018, 05:44 PM
That is great news, what with all the seasons being taken away around the country, it is a start !

Idaho45guy
05-20-2018, 06:19 PM
That is great! I love elk hunting!

Idaho has a ton of moose, but only allow one tag per lifetime per resident. But they are going to allow a Grizzly bear hunt this year.

aws1963
05-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Bet there will be a lot of applicants. Good to see a season being added somewhere not taken away like stated in a post above.

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2018, 05:34 AM
we had them in MI for quite a few years now. Ive applied every year and even though theres a couple hundred permits given out ive yet to get one. Problem at least here is you compete with out of state people too. Another thing is its far from a real hunt. these elk are in areas that are mostly privately owned and you have to hire a guide (land owner) and they know right where the elk are and you go there and usually have your elk in a matter of hours. They do kill some huge bulls though.

chuckbuster
05-24-2018, 12:11 PM
Lloyd
Just want to respectfully clarify a couple things
Michigan Elk Permits are Resident Only
You don’t HAVE to hire a guide but it helps improve land access and therefore success, especially if you aren’t a “local”.
The elk are spread across the northern Lower Penninsula. The hunt is geared toward maintaining a balance between Habitat Carrying Capacity and “Social” Capacity, what the people that live there will tolerate. Since crop damage is an issue, most of the permits available are for private land areas, The CORE of the herd is in the Pigeon River National/State Forest areas.
While not necessarily an Elk Hunt in the Western State traditional sense perhaps, success rates show it aint a slam dunk either.
Keep applying. I call it the great $5 chance (application fee. License is $100 if you draw). I drew and got one in 1994, nice 7pt bull. Back in every year now until I draw again.
Kevin

By the way, Wisconsin can Thank US (MIchigan) for their elk.

RU shooter
05-24-2018, 07:34 PM
we had them in MI for quite a few years now. Ive applied every year and even though theres a couple hundred permits given out ive yet to get one. Problem at least here is you compete with out of state people too. Another thing is its far from a real hunt. these elk are in areas that are mostly privately owned and you have to hire a guide (land owner) and they know right where the elk are and you go there and usually have your elk in a matter of hours. They do kill some huge bulls though.

Sounds exactly like our Pa elk season . I've applied since the first years they have had it same with my dad and brother still no dice for the three of us . The same issues about the areas they live and can be hunted too .

white eagle
05-24-2018, 10:50 PM
yes we thank you for the elk
but we also thank Kentucky for their elk in
the Black River area
just putting in for a hunt in my own state is amazing

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2018, 07:20 AM
you are correct and I made a mistake in that it is for only residences. I was mistaking elk for bear when I said that. I have a buddy that lives in elk country down state and he told me its insane to even bother trying to hunt them without a guide. Not if you want a trophy animal anyway. Its tough enough to get a permit. Ive been trying since they started and even would have excepted a cow permit and haven't been picked. I only have one person I know that's got a permit and that was YEARS ago. I think it was the third year they had the hunt.
Lloyd
Just want to respectfully clarify a couple things
Michigan Elk Permits are Resident Only
You don’t HAVE to hire a guide but it helps improve land access and therefore success, especially if you aren’t a “local”.
The elk are spread across the northern Lower Penninsula. The hunt is geared toward maintaining a balance between Habitat Carrying Capacity and “Social” Capacity, what the people that live there will tolerate. Since crop damage is an issue, most of the permits available are for private land areas, The CORE of the herd is in the Pigeon River National/State Forest areas.
While not necessarily an Elk Hunt in the Western State traditional sense perhaps, success rates show it aint a slam dunk either.
Keep applying. I call it the great $5 chance (application fee. License is $100 if you draw). I drew and got one in 1994, nice 7pt bull. Back in every year now until I draw again.
Kevin

By the way, Wisconsin can Thank US (MIchigan) for their elk.