PDA

View Full Version : ? about Lyman molds

Jim
09-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a few Lyman molds. How many handles should I buy?

carpetman
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Jim with the information provided--only a pure genius could answer your question. Im glad I'm going to be able to help. To begin with how many handles do you currently have? I am positive Lyman makes atleast 2 handle sizes---for sure a single cavity handle and a 2 cavity handle---don't know but pretty sure the 2 cavity handles also fit the 4 cavity molds. How many cavities are the "few" molds you are going to buy? For example if they are all 2 cavity and you currently have no handles--you'd only need to buy one pair of handles and this would mean you switch them as you use them. Having a set of handles for each mold may be more convienient but heck switch out the handle while the alloy is heating. Now if you already have a set of handles for a 2 cavity mold and all the "few" molds are all 2 cavity--then you wouldn't really need to buy any handles. If any of the molds are single cavity and you have no single cavity mold handles---then you'd need to buy a set. So take inventory of how many handles you have. What size mold they fit. Determine how many cavities the "few" molds have and ascertain your needs from the above information. Felix could put this into a Mathematical formula if needed.

44man
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
All you need is two handles if you have different size molds, large and small. But you can drill new holes in handles to fit almost anything. Large can be made to fit the small.

beagle
09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
If you like Lyman moulds, get Lyman moulds and RCBS handles. Two sets should do you./beagle

mooman76
09-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Get several pairs of Lee 6 cavity handles. They are allot cheaper!

runfiverun
09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
2 is enough if you wanna run 2 molds at once.

felix
09-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah, C-Man, maybe so, but the scenario you present is quite complicated. Might have to resort to a full blown simulation on a super computer to actually match the various hole positions. You know, there could be an infinite variety and it might take one of these machines several years to compute an ideal mold, handle, and bolt configuration. ... felix

HeavyMetal
09-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Jim:
Lyman actually has three different Handles for thier molds: the small for single cav's, the large for the Dual cav's, and a completely seperate handle for the 4 cav's which actually hinges at the front of the handle instead of the middle!

Add to that a whole bunch of years with varing tolerenaces and some handle's work right and some need a bit of tinkering.

It was mentioned that your question was a little light on information.

So I guess it really comes down to what molds do you own / want? How many are you going to use at one time? Some guys juggle 3 or 4 2 cav's me I prefer two molds period.

I use two four bangers when I make 38 wadcutter boolits, I'll use two six bangers when I doing 9mm or 45 auto, I'll use two single cav H.P.'s when I'm making a run of hollow points.

As you can see lot's of choices. I will suggest a touch more focus on the question and then we can give you an answer.

dragonrider
09-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I find that the Lee six cavity handles work very well on all Lyman molds, from single to four cavity. They are cheap enough to put one on every mold.

carpetman
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I pointed out only pure genius could help you---look at all the ones that responded. Well have no fear--there is another answer. You can actually get by with no handles. Just chuck your mold into a vise. Now dumping will take some time. Wait until it cools before handling it bare handed. You never said you were after speed--maybe inferred trying to be frugal with handle purchase.

Bret4207
09-14-2008, 08:42 AM
A REAL MAN just holds the blocks together with his fingers and dunks them into the molten alloy to fill. I'm not a real man.

runfiverun
09-14-2008, 03:00 PM
if bret ain't gonna try it i ain't either.......ray??

missionary5155
09-14-2008, 04:04 PM
You will one day reach the place where you wish you had more handles of every size. If I see them cheap I buy them... I modify then... I keep on looking for another... I have yet to sell one.

Echo
09-15-2008, 12:56 AM
I feel like a plutocrat, but I want a set of handles for every mold I have. I don't want the hassle of unscrewing and rescrewing when I could actually be casting. I keep my eyes peeled on eBay, and expect to pay about $20 for a large set.

Bret4207
09-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Ed, Pluto was a dog and it "cat" not "crat".:mrgreen: