PDA

View Full Version : annealing brass

barrrel
11-27-2005, 08:25 AM
how often can you anneal mil.brass ?i have some thats been annealed 1 timeany signs to look for? TIA

Calamity Jake
11-27-2005, 09:02 AM
how often can you anneal mil.brass ?i have some thats been annealed 1 timeany signs to look for? TIA
I can't tell you how many times they can be annealed but I have LC 68 Match brass that has been annealed 6 times and is still going. I will anneal again when I start seeing soot below the body shoulder junction which can be from 6 to 10 firings depending on pressure generated and how much resizing is needed.

Wayne Smith
11-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll wait to see if Felix corrects me (he often does, Thanks, Felix!) but I don't think you can anneal too much. That is, to many times. Obviously, you can anneal to far down the case, and that's too much. Annealing softens the metal, and it can only get so soft. Working it (shooting, resizing) hardens it again, so it needs to be annealed again after a while.

To answer your other question, I think that if you wait until you see signs, you're waited too long. I just annealed a bunch of 8 x 64 brass when some of them started splitting their necks. That's too long, I lost five cases.

felix
11-27-2005, 04:00 PM
No correction needed, Wayne! Finding soot on the cases after 5 or so shots (with the same load) is a good sign for a redo. But, finding soot on a poor fitting case when using a light load doesn't count. The very best way is to notice that the neck sizing operation is a little too stiff in comparision. Yeah, a neck split is a sure sign. ... felix