PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action Sts Adapter

joeb33050
09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm about to buy a Savage rifle in 308 Winchester for benchrest cast bullet shooting, and have been thinking about the scope. The Savage-and most other rifles-come with holes drilled in the front and rear receiver rings for scope bases. These will accept, for example, Weaver bases; and rings, fitting, are easy to find.
For a good target scope, such as a Weaver T36, I'm looking at ~$450 for scope, mounts and rings.
In the old days, at least some Remington and Winchester bolt action rifles were drilled for "scope blocks", for blocks that are made for mounting Lyman SuperTargetspot scopes and others. One block went on the front receiver ring, the second on the barrel.
I'd like to use one of my Lyman STS scopes on this Savage rifle, without having any holes drilled in the barrel for the front block.
Being completely without design ability, I can't figure out how to do this, or what the arrangement looks like. Ideally, there would be ?Weaver bases on the rifle. An adapter would fit on the Weaver bases, and would have scope blocks so that a Lyman, Unertl, Litschert, Davis, etc. scope would fit.
And, wouldn't it be keen if there were an adapter that fit on scope blocks so that a scope with ?Weaver rings could be mounted.
I'll send this to Steve Earle, but I'm hoping that someone here knows of an adapter or a design that will work.
Thanks;
Joe b.

DLCTEX
09-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I am not familiar with the STS scope, but the Luepold one peice base with the pivoting lock system (can't remember the name) has worked well on my Savage rifles with a variety of scopes. DALE

Buckshot
09-14-2008, 02:05 AM
................Are you talking about an extention to fit on the Weaver base, long enough to carry the scope blocks?

...................Buckshot

Bret4207
09-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Your blocks have to be exactly 7.2" center to center IIRC and the front block is supposed to sit out quite a ways on the barrel. You need a machinist and some Weaver base stock, a set of blocks can be mounted I'm sure. The problem will be getting everything solid. That STS is heavy and the mounts will have to be very stiff and secure.

Doc Highwall
09-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Another problem will be that by the time you get done your scope height will be on the high side so you will not have as good of a cheek weld.

joeb33050
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
................Are you talking about an extention to fit on the Weaver base, long enough to carry the scope blocks?

...................Buckshot

I think so. I jiust can't figure it out, what it should look like. The ideal is to have weaver mounts front and rear, an an adapter to get scope blocks where needed. Wish I had some design ability.
joe b.