PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Post Office Money Order

sparky45
05-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Short story: Purchased M.O. 5.4.18 - It's never been received (sent first class to a person 300 miles from my residence); USPS not very helpful but they did charge me $6 to place a trace on it. What's the prognosis?

JimB..
05-17-2018, 11:43 AM
I have no first hand experience, but understand that if you have the receipt and if it hasn’t been presented within some period you can obtain a refund. No idea what a “trace” of a money order is.

nvbirdman
05-17-2018, 04:01 PM
For your $6, they will check to see if it has been cashed. If it has, you will receive a copy of it. If it hasn't been cashed they will issue a new money order.

nicholst55
05-17-2018, 08:31 PM
After a significant waiting period; ninety days sticks in my mind, although that may be inaccurate.

MyFlatline
05-17-2018, 08:35 PM
I just can't bring myself to trust the USPS after how it has gone down...Have passed on many a deal because the requirement of a USPS MO...Just my honest opinion.

SyberShooter
05-17-2018, 09:47 PM
I once sent a package 200 miles by USPO and it took 30 days to arrive- the buyer was PO as I would be and their tracking onlly showed it was received at the sending PO. That was in 2001. That said, I only accept USPO money orders or cash due to all the other scams out there.

Petrol & Powder
05-17-2018, 11:07 PM
You have two different things that might be going on there:
1. The money order just flat didn't get where it was going.
2. It got there and the person didn't cash it yet.

If you do not have a means to verify if it arrived, your only good option is to cancel it and wait until you know it's been canceled before you proceed. Unless you trust the person on the other end, Do Not send a second money order until you have received a refund on the first one.

I'll risk a small money order in a first class envelope without tracking but for larger sums, the money order goes in an overnight package with tracking and a signature on the other end. I'm not going to pay you twice. One of the oldest scams out there is to falsely claim you never received the first money order and ask for a second one. When the second one arrives, you cash both and claim someone must have stolen and cashed the first one.

AK Caster
05-18-2018, 09:29 AM
I learned a long time ago to ditch USPS money orders. Personal checks work much better and are free. Plus if they are lost you can go online at most banks and put a stop payment order in effect. If someone insists I pay by USPS MO I move on to a different seller.

mold maker
05-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Every problem I've ever had with a money transfer involved a USPS MO. I've got to want something really bad and the seller only accepting a MO to use it again. I too have passed on many purchases because the seller demanded them.
Those who refuse PayPal are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

shooterg
05-18-2018, 04:12 PM
If I remember correctly, applied for refund after 60 days, took another couple weeks to get it. i was lucky I kept my part of the thing !

MyFlatline
05-18-2018, 04:32 PM
I learned a long time ago to ditch USPS money orders. Personal checks work much better and are free. Plus if they are lost you can go online at most banks and put a stop payment order in effect. If someone insists I pay by USPS MO I move on to a different seller.

Every problem I've ever had with a money transfer involved a USPS MO. I've got to want something really bad and the seller only accepting a MO to use it again. I too have passed on many purchases because the seller demanded them.
Those who refuse PayPal are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

My point exactly. People hate PP but I like use free services, costs them, not me..