PDA

View Full Version : Gun companies lack of promotional items

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Well I have spent the last few working days brakes and lunch hour making phone calls to different gun manufacturers. Looking for banners or posters signs what not to put on the indoor range and hang at the outdoor range during events, year round. Just to make it look more gun range like. So far I have been offered stickers. Sales books. I even got told by one company OH that is a good idea.

I know I am not nuts. Its free advertising for them. I am still waiting on three of the big guys to call me back and honestly I do not think they are going to.

Am I out of line looking for banners/signs to hang at the gun range? Perhaps I am talking to the wrong people?

One company is willing to have a local shop make me a sign. I was not looking for special treatment I was under the impression promotional banners where a staple.

Your input is welcome as this will be a open chat.

marlin39a
05-17-2018, 10:47 AM
You need to find the area sales representative for the company your interested in. They will be glad to promote those companies.

Mytmousemalibu
05-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Im a fairly avid USPSA competitor and as such go to some of the larger matches. Theres always banners around and stage sponsors which pay to have there logo/banner present at a stage. Some companies donate quite a bit to the prize tables too. One think I have noticed about it, its mostly all smaller companies that participate. Not surprisingly, companies that have a stake in competitive shooting sports. You really don't see the big name brands.

If it appeals to you, might try some of theses kinds of places to decorate your facilities, they are probably more receptive to your needs.

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 11:11 AM
I am still waiting on sale reps to call back. I offered to put the banners up for free. I will be contacting more every day. I have noticed that the smaller companies are willing to do more if anything.

My hats off to Mossberg. They jumped at the chance to hang some signs and told me to contact them before we host events to see if they can help. Thank you Mossberg and Sons.

Most companies are giving me the," why would we want to do this"? Free advertising. CZ USA said we can give you like 4-5 stickers the size of a business card. For real. Ill pass thanks.

I am working on taking a good old boys shooting range and bringing it into modern day shooting. Some of the firearms I own people never even heard of in the area I am in.

Feel free to toss out some names of companies that you think would not mind to donate a banner or sign.

RPRNY
05-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Unless you get a geographically responsible sales or marketing person on the phone, the people you are talking to are "fender-offers" who view their role as dealing with the "annoying public". Glad to hear the folks at Mossberg get it though!

Pipefitter
05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Call Henry repeating arms, I have one of their banners.

JBinMN
05-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Have you tried any of the reloading components companies yet? That would be acceptable for a firearm range, would it not?
;)

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Ya just got off the phone with Dillon. I can purchase one though one of the dealers but they are not going to give a promotional banner for free.

Lee said the Idea was cute but no sorry no signs or banners.

Nope nope nope.

Henry is a good one. I will call now.

For the record I am not mad at any company who says no I just can not get passed the fact that is free for them and no one does it. Or that I can not get a call back after days.

waksupi
05-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Gun companies are hit up all the time for things like this. As much as they may wish to supply them, supply, demand, and the time to send them out is prohibitive.

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Henry said, yes and to contact back with events in the future. Good deal.

As far as companies being hit up all the time for things like this well if they are they sure as heck do not act like it. They act shocked that its a thing. Lee said I could print a copy of their logo on a piece of paper and hang it. LOL

RIA said they would mail it out. At least that is what I thought she said.

lightman
05-17-2018, 12:56 PM
I'm like you, a little surprised in their lack of interest. Besides firearms manufactures, I would think about all of the reloading companies, scope manufactures, ammo companies like Black Hills, powder companies, brass companies, ect. I think you have a good idea and hope it works out ok.

Scorpion8
05-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Try the majors Hunter Ed relations staff. They usually provide lots of free stuff to our range, which is an ADF&G "Hunter Ed" facility.

Omega
05-17-2018, 01:57 PM
That is curious, I got a couple posters, and a placemat, at Midsouth; bullet companies gave them some to pass out to customers I believe.

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Ouch. Some feel this is a gold digging event.

For those of you who do its for a NFP range. Hosting public events.

nicholst55
05-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Just a thought - are you calling their customer service folks, or their sales folks? CS folks try to resolve issues with the minimum effort and expense. Sales folks know the value of advertising.

Outer Rondacker
05-17-2018, 09:06 PM
Marketing, promotional and media. Some CS but only on the ones who only have CS to get the sales rep or marketing department.

Taurus Guns USA answered and I asked the CS person to transfer me to marketing. She offered to help and got a boss. They just said great. What is your shipping info and how large can you take. Look for something in the next week. Ok.

I did call RCBS. They are affiliated with loads of other companies. That would be a great one to get a call back from.

DCP
05-17-2018, 10:01 PM
Stag Arms has banners.

reddog81
05-17-2018, 10:13 PM
RCBS is owned by Vista Outdoors. They would be a good one to try and find a good contact at. Vista owns CCI, Alliant, Speer, Federal, Blazer, Estate, Independence, Bushnell, Hoppes 9, American Eagle and a dozen plus other brands.

aws1963
05-18-2018, 12:09 AM
As a Regional Sales Manager for an non-firearm related company, one needs to contact the Regional Sales Staff for brochures or banners. Customer Service people are usually overwhelmed with daily orders and complaints. Find out who the Regional Sales Manager is and contact them personally. In my situation, I can then direct the marketing department to send out the items requested.

Outer Rondacker
05-18-2018, 07:01 AM
Most of the big companies have Regional sales managers. I have calls into them still waiting back.

Stag arms that is a good one thanks.

Vista outdoors would be great. Waiting on a call back. Hopefully they do call.

mold maker
05-18-2018, 08:46 AM
The cold shoulder you are finding is the result of corp bean counters running the large companies that bought up the smaller ones. Their job is to reduce expenses even at the risk of long range profits.
Today's bottom line is all that counts. It's called corporate greed.

Mytmousemalibu
05-18-2018, 09:50 AM
A lot of them USPSA match banners/sponsors are reloading related. Components and distributors of components.

35isit
05-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Gather all the addresses of the companies. Send the letters to the President of the company detailing your plans. Also inform them of any events your range hosts. I.E. Cowboy matches, IHMSA, Three gun, Bench rest, IDPA or any others. Tell them what your club looks like. Some will send gifts. Donate or raffle them for youth programs. Then send a thank you note and tell them what you done with what they sent. Then post a thank you on every forum you visit. I've done this several times for IHMSA matches. Have all the addresses and prewritten letters on a thumb drive so all I have to do is update the info and mail.

Try Berger Bullets Otis Cleaning Products Sierra Starline Hornady

Outer Rondacker
05-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Great idea. I think I will put it in a form of a email as most companies do not want to take calls or even snail mail. Everything is email.

Mold maker you hit the nail on the head.

Outer Rondacker
05-18-2018, 03:33 PM
This is the email response from Remington and Marlin.

We thank you for contacting us in regard to your 2017 donation request. We have reviewed all submissions and unfortunately at this time we are unable to support your request. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors this year.

Thank you – The Remington Outdoor Co., LLC

Remember I asked for a banner to hang nothing else. LOL
They do not even have the year correct. It was an auto response. Still have not got any calls back from larger companies. Oh this was part of a email I have made up and cut copy and pasted to many different vendors.

Geezer in NH
05-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Remember Remington is declaring bankruptcy. Wouldn't expect much to begin with their money problems.

andre3k
05-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Does your range have a shop that is actually selling items made by the companies you're hitting up? If you have an FFL then you surely have sales reps calling and e-mailing weekly to get your business. The sales reps are the people to get these items from. I would also check with the sales reps of the big distributors because I know they get promo items all the time.

reddog81
05-20-2018, 12:16 PM
This is the email response from Remington and Marlin.

We thank you for contacting us in regard to your 2017 donation request. We have reviewed all submissions and unfortunately at this time we are unable to support your request. We wish you the best of luck in your endeavors this year.

Thank you – The Remington Outdoor Co., LLC.

Remington doesn't even realize it's 2018??? You'd think the person sending out blanket email responses could spend 5 seconds to review the response but I'm guessing the $10 per hour employee doesn't even care.

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Even after we closed our general store in the late 1970`s we were getting the banners and other counter supplies from the sales reps we had dealt with.Robert

Outer Rondacker
05-20-2018, 04:04 PM
We have no gun shop.

crowbuster
05-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Hit hornady up

am44mag
05-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Hit hornady up

I was just about to suggest this. They send out a very nice poster with their catalog every year, so I'd be surprised if they didn't want to put up some free advertising at a gun range.

Midsouth Shooter Supply might be interested as well. Maybe Grafs too?

Outer Rondacker
05-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will give them all a call in the morning.

I did have a chance to talk to a few of the larger gun shops in the area. (1&1/2 drive) They said if I got anything from the local reps it would be more then they have gotten in years. One shop I have been working with closely to help him get going. He has been open for just turning two years. I told him to talk to his reps also. He said so you want signs like the ones I have at my shop. I said you do not have any signs. He told me he ask for something every time they come. He has got nothing but books.

JBinMN
05-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Pretty doggone sad...
:(

imashooter2
05-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Writing on letter head will probably be more productive than calling. They probably get a hundred calls a week from "gun clubs" that are really just Billy Bob looking for a cool S&W banner for his loading room.

Outer Rondacker
05-21-2018, 10:00 AM
The call is just to get the link address to fill out the form needed. Most companies have a link on the home page some do not. The ones who do not get calls or if I can not find it easy. Same with local reps. I just filled out the Glock and Horndy forms.

Today marks one week trying to get this going. Still no calls back from any reps or emails other then the Remington response I posted above. Some have answered over the phone.

I started this post because I did not think it was so hard to get a few banners. Now I am finding its even harder to get a response. Time will tell.

35isit
05-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Great idea. I think I will put it in a form of a email as most companies do not want to take calls or even snail mail. Everything is email.

Mold maker you hit the nail on the head.

My best luck has been sending snail mail. Somebody opens all of them. Again promoting a certain thing will get the best response. A match, youth event or the like. Also tell them you need it by a certain date.

JBinMN
05-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Maybe you should enclose a copy of this topic or even just a link...
;)

They might not how their lack of enthusiasm & response has been coming across & change it for the better...
;)

G'Luck!
:)

Outer Rondacker
05-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Glock got back to me and said I qualify to look for my promotional packet in the mail in the next 20 days. Thanks Glock.

So far its Mossberg,Glock, Henry. Taurus Guns USA and RIA said they would mail something out time will tell. I got Henry's banner today. Very nice.

Outer Rondacker
05-24-2018, 10:47 AM
Still no reply from any REPS. I wish I could have their jobs. I would talk gun bs all day and get paid for it.

Outer Rondacker
05-25-2018, 12:24 PM
So I take back what I said about Mossberg. I just called them to see if my package got lost or what ever since its been around two weeks. They told me the REP is no long with them and nothing had been sent. Thats it. I had a chat and they said we do not do anything unless you have an FFL.

I give up.

Outer Rondacker
05-25-2018, 08:22 PM
And just when I give up the Fedex guy drops off a box. With a 3'x8' Taurus banner.

Perhaps I should stop updating this thread.

Just got five boxes of stuff from Glock. Way to go Glock.